Old 01-10-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

detoxing from using alcohol

Did anybody do it from home? And how was it
Old 01-10-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Most of us here did it at home. But you should really talk to your dr. first. I don't know how much you're drinking but detox can be dangerous.

It's impossible to tell you how it'll be as everyone is different. It could be uncomfortable or shear hell.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I did not do it at home. I went to a no-cost detox program and stayed a week. The discomforts and inconveniences of the facility were a distraction in a way so that my detox was not bad.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have done both, but I was drinking at different levels. 2 emergency trips, 1 inpatient detox and several at home. Like previously stated everyone is different and it depends on the amount, length and overall health of an individual. But you do not have to do it alonr, help is out there.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Last time I detoxed at home I ended up in the ER. I was eventually OK but it was foolish of me to not seek some medical advice first. We all react differently and while somewhat rare, serious complication can arise ( seizures, strokes, cardiac issues, etc ). If you have the ability to see a doctor or consult with a detox it's a very good idea.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well let me tell you guy's a Lil bout myself. I'm 26 years old... i been drinking since i was 18... first few years i only drunk on the weekends when partying! But the past few years i been drinking very heavy! I was up to a fifth a day! I was so stress all i wanted to do was drink! Hell even when i was happy i wanted to! I always i have my few movements where i stop for a few days! Then ill get around a group of friends i say i just have one! But once i start i keep going to I'm good enough to go home and fall asleep
Old 01-10-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, cargile - glad to have you with us. It really helps to talk things over here - everyone understands what you're going through.

As the others said, if you've been drinking heavily it's best to get help with detox. I'm glad you recognize that once you start, it's hard to stop. I drank the way you do when I was 26 - but I didn't think I was in danger. It was much harder to quit many years later. Good that you're taking a look at what it's doing to your life.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Last time I detoxed at home I ended up in the ER. I was eventually OK but it was foolish of me to not seek some medical advice first. We all react differently and while somewhat rare, serious complication can arise ( seizures, strokes, cardiac issues, etc ). If you have the ability to see a doctor or consult with a detox it's a very good idea.
well i did it once a while a month ago! It was probably the worse feeling ever! The first three days i was so scared! I had insomnia that was so scary! Felt like i was watching mye dreams was so crazy! I felt like someone came and was shaking me while i was sleep! I couldn't sleep the first 2 days.. it got better the 4 day! I was good by the six day... went a whole to weeks sober! No affects or anything! But i just bout a new car so what my dumb but do had to celebrate
Old 01-10-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It is strongly advised that you get your doctor's help to get sober. Alcohol detox can be rough and it's good to be safe.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tried the first night without medical,AA or any professional help. It was scary to say the least. The next morning I called my doctor when he opened for business. I was honest with him and He gave me a Xanax scrip for just the first week. I would not quit without seeing a doctor with what I know today. I was honestly scared in my own home that first night. My home is completely surrounded by a video surveillance system to give you an idea of how baseless my fear was. I swear I could honestly see the air moving that night and was convinced I could hear movement inside my home. My overall plan after seeing my doctor was, 1. Going to church and talking to the lord. 2. Doctor and medical tests. 3. Eating right and moderate exercise i.e. Walking etc. . That being said no universal way to sobriety exists. You need to do what is right for you. Whatever works is the perfect way. God Bless!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I ended up with mini strokes.
Going to see a Dr has got to be better than that.

D
Old 01-11-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm doing it at home but under my doctor's supervision and also with medications to help.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Last Detox was from home but I saw a doctor first, due to my level of binge drinking I knew it was not safe without medication and I took it as prescribed, still rough but it can be done. Detox for me has been best as it's a safe environment, its hard leaving and facing the world again, anxiety was off the charts as I knew what I had to face out here vs in that safe environment.