Notices

Need advice !

Old 01-10-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice !

Hello all

This week I am going on a cruise with friends and family. Its my second month into my sobriety and I am really worried of relapsing... I am actually pretty convinced its going to happen...

There is going to be alcohol flowing everywhere.

What can I do to resist the urge?
Advice greatly appeciated.

Thank you x
Old 01-10-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Wait, I thought you didn't drink?
Old 01-10-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Luna :-) Very cute avatar. If you have convinced yourself it's going to happen it will, but remember that it's you that has convinced yourself. You have full power to un-convince yourself too.

Imagine how wonderful it would be to enjoy the cruise and your friends and family, and to also feel good about enjoying the whole experience sober. I bet you would feel infinitely better looking back on it from that perspective than if you gave in to the urge to drink.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah. Sounds to me like you've already decided. Too bad, there are a lot of things to do on cruises, but not when you sleep all day.

I mean, there is alcohol everywhere when you're not on a cruise, too. Sounds like you think it's part of celebrating. It doesn't have to be. It isn't in my world.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Luna
Maybe consider taking Antibuse, some cheap insurance imo,
Old 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stay strong as it sounds like your AV is setting you up. Take some time to reflect on the work you have put in to get two months, reflect on what it was like when you drank and never forget it only takes one drink for many of us.

As a single parent and a binge drinker, I have traveled to a lot of all inclusive resorts in South America, even though an alcoholic I refused to touch a drink and ruin our holidays, was I working a program at the time, no, I had no idea what an addictive voice even was but I said no, meant it and stuck to it.

I encourage you to keep to your plan, there are lots of things to do on the ships and stops to keep you busy, I wouldn't let alcohol get in the way and you will feel stronger for it.

All the best and I hope its a great trip.

Andrew
Old 01-10-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I expressed myself in the wrong way. I do not want to drink again, absolutely not! My sobriety is very important to me... all I am saying is that the environment is going to be full of temptation. All I'm asking is advice on how to cope when you are in a situation where there is a lot of alcohol around. Since I sobered up i have not been to any parties or around a party atmosphere. Just wanted some advice on how to cope
Old 01-10-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all I will do that
Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

-Make a list of reasons why you want to stay sober and keep it in your wallet.
-Wake up early to enjoy the sunrise and appreciate how great it is not to be hungover
-Take advantage of the swimming pool, gym of other options
-If you're feeling tempted, leave the situation- go for a walk around, take a nap or go to bed early, sneak off and journal for a while, etc.
-Remember that you are an adult and you're only responsible for yourself. It's ok to say no to a situation you're not comfortable in and you don't have to explain if you don't want to. "My head hurts" or something similar is a fine excuse.
-Bring a couple good books to fill up downtime.
-Take lots of pictures
-Try to eat moderately healthy. Of course you'll probably want to indulge a little but eating healthy keeps your blood sugar more level and reduces cravings.
-Remember that they are just thoughts. You don't have to act on them.
-Play the tape forward and think how awful you'd feel the next day vs. how proud and good you'll feel about not drinking.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Luna
Decide right now that you won't, and then don't entertain the idea again. When the thought comes, don't play with it, so to speak, let go of it right away. Be selfish! Don't let anyone/alcohol take from you anymore. I am in many places of temptation, I play in a bar band, all my friends drink, and I just consider alcohol part of my past. I am an alcoholic, I too am human and can fail, but if I have anything to say about it I'm not drinking. Good luck, you can do this!! 😊
Introspectator