Notices

Staying sober on SR alone??

Old 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I am so glad you are doing so well Paddy.
Congratulations on 22 days :
Thank you Carlotta, it's been tough but worth it , the cravings have left me , still the odd compulsion but nothing I can't deal with.
The hardest part is staying sober but I'm sure if I stick with the support network I will be fine...
Old 01-20-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Personally I think that you can never have too many tools on your tool belt.
I relapsed after 5 years and was out for 6. When I came back, I got back to AA and worked the steps and I also joined SR, checked out Women For Sobriety and used AVRT to recognize that little voice in my head which would tell me that a drink would not hurt or whatever nonsense the AV has in store that day.

After having worked the steps and gotten into mindfulness meditation (through working step 11) I realized that the Buddhist approach of Refuge Recovery and daily Zen meditation practice was a better fit for me.
Today, I am celebrating 3 years so here is proof that you can make a come back after relapsing after long term sobriety.

My advice to you is that right now, it is a good idea for you to add as many tools to your tool belt as possible. You are fairly fresh back from a relapse and a suicide attempt so please continue your good work and avail yourself of as many tools and as much support as you can.

I don't see why you can't keep going to AA right now since you like it and your home group members are supportive and also keep sharing your esh on SR. They are not exclusive by all means.

Anyway, that was just my two cents.
I think that was my addiction raising it's ugly head again looking for a get out clause which it normally does, It's a sneaky one, I wanted you all to tell me yeah just stay on this only and you'll be fine but isolation is part of my relapse signs and it's quite difficult to isolate in a room full of people unless you sit down the back with ear plugs in and your eyes closed.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by paddyjnr1 View Post
I have always believed that there is something magical happens when a group of alkies get together and share their experience, strength and hope but I am actually starting to get that from here now.
Our second tradition - a loving God as he may express Himself.....

In general, I find that the sum of the parts is greater than each individual part both in the rooms and on SR!

I can so identify with this post, My sponsor once said
"Paddy you are either working on your sobriety or your working on a relapse, no in betweens,"
I am certain he's a great friend. There are many ways we work the program - as you stated, practicing these principles in all our affairs. Carrying the message - including on SR. Daily prayer and meditation - many here do that and have never stepped foot in the rooms.

I don't meant this harshly, but I don't take to fear mongering if that is ones tone/intent, as they make suggestions to me.

Yes I have made that decision too, I think the twelve step program is a wonderful program.
I don't want to be that dry drunk I was before I went through the steps with my sponsor and try and practice them on a daily basis.
Yes they really are like family to me too as nobody else in my family understand me.. All they say is "oh there he goes again selfish bastard, he'll end up dead and it will be his own fault.
I even had one brother tell me that his kids nickname for me was Major Tom from the song “Ashes to Ashes” by David Bowie which hurt me real bad.
Maybe I needed to hear it as I sobered up quite quickly after it and stopped taking pills....
I am not clear about what you're asking!? Again, if others are telling me what I need to do to stay sober I think it's counter productive. Certainly fresh into sobriety I need this direction. But maybe not long term.....idk, everyday I am willing to learn, trying to remain open and honest.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am not clear about what you're asking!? Again, if others are telling me what I need to do to stay sober I think it's counter productive. Certainly fresh into sobriety I need this direction. But maybe not long term.....idk, everyday I am willing to learn, trying to remain open and honest.[/QUOTE] When I was married my wife would spot the signs of me going into relapse up to 2 weeks without me even knowing it, same goes for my housemate, neither are alkies.
I do think I need the support of people to be straight with me and tell me if they spot anything unusual, at first it hurts to hear the truth and be told get up and get out, go to a meeting or meet up with someone for coffee.
"If I don't talk it out I'll drink it out"
I always come back a lot happier then I do if I'm sitting in my room with the curtains closed or even curled up in the fetal position under my duvet at 3pm in the day ... We call it "Death by Duvet"