Notices

Coq au Vin anyone?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coq au Vin anyone?

I finally ventured out to a restaurant at lunch time today with the children. First time I have put myself in that situation for more than 2 months. I felt ready. All went well. But one thing that struck me was the number of dishes on the menu with alcohol in them .. Coq au Vin, Rhum ****, Bœuf Bourguignon, Crêpes flambée Grand Marnière...

And then I got to thinking about all the other great dishes I love that contain booze... Beef in Guiness, Beef in Whisky, Tiramisu ..... I could go on and on.

So my question.. Is it just a French thing to add wine and liqour to lots of dishes? And do you guys always avoid those choices? Or do you consider that the alcohol has already evaporated!!!?
Old 01-10-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no problem eating a dish prepared with alcohol. The alcohol is minimal in relation to the dish. Not a trigger for me. And I have found many times after the fact a dish had some alcohol in it. I wouldn't have known. I think sometimes its psychological if you know beforehand.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's an oft-discussed topic here and one you'll need to decide for yourself. There is plenty of very tasty food that isn't made with alcohol too.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is the other cuisine like in France?
Old 01-10-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does not bother me, I have never been drunk from a dish as you list nor has one triggered me to drink. But as Scott said, it is up to each of us to decide.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The french here in Canada use a lot of alcohol in their dishes, I was married to a French Canadian for 24 years But where I live it's rare that you would see alcohol in any dish.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not a problem for me either. I wouldn't have an issue ordering a dish cooked with wine, but I won't bring wine into my home to make a dish. I don't need that temptation. As for the dish itself, not a trigger for me at all.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is the oft posted chart

I'm not worried about driving under the influence of tiramisu - it's a lifestyle choice not a fear based one.

Ordering something with alcohol in it just wouldn't jibe with the way I live the rest of my life.

More than that the taste really puts me off now - I bought a Xmas puddng which unbeknownst to me had brandy in it - can't have been much cos it was a normal grocery store pudding....but I still spat it out - it was disgusting

D.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Where I live that issue doesn't come up often. When it is on the menu, I don't order anything with alcohol in it because it does not sound appetizing to me. Avoiding it altogether is what I'm comfortable with.
Driving under the influence of tiramusu! That is funny, Dee!! You definitely just made me laugh out loud : )
Old 01-11-2016, 12:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's an oft-discussed topic here and one you'll need to decide for yourself. There is plenty of very tasty food that isn't made with alcohol too.
Sorry.. didn't mean to rehash and old subject. I'll look up some other threads.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me it depends on whether or not I could taste the alcohol. Something like a tiramisu, no way. That would be a trigger. A kind of beef stew that had some guinness or something in it that was undetectable I might eat if there were no better options.
Over these past 6 weeks I would not risk anything with alcohol more as part of my wider commitment to stay sober.
Over the weekend we were having lunch and my wife was drinking a mulled wine. I went to pick up a small spoon on the table and just as I went to stir my coffee with it it occurred to me that she had stirred her mulled wine with it so I asked her, she said yes, so I put it down and asked for another one. Crazy , OTT and unnecessary? Well, maybe, but I don't want to give my AV anything....ANYTHING, that it can use against me right now.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I will never knowingly put alcohol In my body in food its the same as knowingly taking a drink that's fact

There are non alcoholic tirimisus & awesome food avalible

Anyone who misses food with alcohol in it - think about that Fabat its not food you miss you have that right ? so what are you really missing trust me I'm a foodie your missing nothing enjoy your food it isn't enhanced by alcohol its a myth

If I could part some advice to anyone its don't cook with alcohol knowingly - think about that
Old 01-11-2016, 02:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is why I asked what the other cuisine in France is like. I thought maybe this is a really culturally prevalent thing with the food there, that would be tough to handle unlike simply avoiding bars and such here. I guess I'll assume there is an abundance of alcohol free food, therefore simply avoid it, as one would drinking.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
That is why I asked what the other cuisine in France is like. I thought maybe this is a really culturally prevalent thing with the food there, that would be tough to handle unlike simply avoiding bars and such here. I guess I'll assume there is an abundance of alcohol free food, therefore simply avoid it, as one would drinking.
Yes there are plenty of dishes without alcohol of course. My question was more about whether people avoid them or not. As I see from the replies some people avoid out of principle, some do not like the taste, and some would be worried that it might trigger. I guess it is down to personal choice and good sense.

Dee's chart was useful. One thing's for sure is that I will not be going for the Peaches in Red Wine any day soon!
Old 01-11-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
I wouldn't worry. Every thread is a rehash of many previous threads, it's just the faces that change. We have a common illness with common symptoms. Your questions are just as valid and important as anyone elses.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There's plenty of food that has alcohol added - white wine sauce, red wine sauce, rum puddings, etc.

There are also way more options on the menu WITHOUT alcohol. We alcoholics tend to let our eyes drift towards the boozy selections. We used to do that and we loved being able to include alcohol in our food. Made us seem like normies....we could order off the menu "like everyone else" and it made us feel that everyone was also ordering similar dishes.

Now when I look at menus, I stick to all options that don't include alcohol. I know I'm not missing out on much and I don't need any alcohol in my bloodstream - even trace amounts. I just don't put alcohol in my body these days. I'd stick to that regiment in the early goings, if I were to recommend anything.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I wouldn't worry. Every thread is a rehash of many previous threads, it's just the faces that change. We have a common illness with common symptoms. Your questions are just as valid and important as anyone elses.
Sometimes it is nice just to have a "live" exchange of ideas too.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
I wasn't suggesting it shouldn't be discussed, sorry if you took it that way - I was just mentioning that it is indeed a common question. Certainly live discussion is appropriate and don't be afraid to ask questions!