Notices

next level

Old 01-08-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hope this doesnt sound like 10 cent psychology but it sounds like you might be experiencing anticipatory anxiety, especially the rapid heart beat and shakiness.
What Is Anticipatory Anxiety? - Anxiety Disorders Center - Everyday Health

Plus the not eating and sleeping make it all worse. I've had awful anticipatory anxiety too. Distraction helps me. I'm not good with relaxation activities like meditating but it works for some people.

D.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think I was going hypo, I was told I have this prediabetes thing last year
Old 01-08-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anxiety can cause your blood sugar to be out of whack too. I'd get a second opinion. You were also drinking and taking benzos back then too. My BP and many other vitals ( blood sugar and cholesterol ) improved dramatically after a few months sober.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I think I was going hypo, I was told I have this prediabetes thing last year
True. I thought of that too. I get that when I haven't eaten. Eventually I learned to tell when it's anxiety or hypo. Not that I ve had much anxiety since I quit drinking.
You'll have to force yourself to eat at least a little bit even if you're not hungry. When I was pregnant I ate avocados and hard-boiled eggs because I wasn't hungry and they have a lot of good calories.
Should I tell you to try to relax or is that just not gonna happen?

D.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Are you keeping a diet Delf?
I guess I wanted to believe that since my a1c's come back as in normal range I was gonna be ok. I test and my sugars go kinda high though Food's my only pleasure now, I mean no real coffee/caffeine and no booze and no pills. I don't know what's gonna happen if I start dieting 'cause I am a mess as it is with all my normal go to's gone. I was meaning to start a diet that's more of a whole foods thing but I feel as if I am handling all that I can with eliminating the other stuff.

Although it did take a whole 48 hours to get to feeling bad. So I dunno I guess it would be worse if I was feeling hypo after 5 hours of no food or something.

But it was fast. I was ok then all of a sudden the dripping sweats and weakness and heartbeat. Oh well that's what I get for being too depressed to eat I guess
Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

48 hours is a long time...miracle you didn't pass out! I get really hangry and I get the crazies when my sugar gets low. It ain't pretty. I'm not on any diet, though I'm trying really hard not to eat too much junk. Like you, food is one of my big pleasures so I didn't want to deny myself in early sobriety. I agree that it's too much to handle what with the ups and downs of early sobriety, and especially for you with benzo withrawals and now the new job. As someone else said, we have to be gentle with ourselves. I do that by eating ice cream and croissants. I know you have to be more careful though because of your prediabetes. Eventually I do plan on getting on a healthier diet. Maybe this spring.
What are you gonna do then? It sucks to feel so crummy.

D.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That sounds good... who doesn't love a buttery croissant?
I dunno. I guess I am gonna keep stress eating. For now. I mean every now and then I remind myself "I'm only human". I mean I can only handle so much.

Hangry is a funny term, I only heard that for the first time rather recently lol.

I have plans, as we all do... for a healthier diet. I was thinking just do the whole foods thing, no sugar, white carbs or processed stuff.

PBS had a really good show recently about nutrition and the food industry, informative and went a bit into the science of the addictive processed foods. I mean we are really fighting an uphill battle here in Candyland (any US supermarket)!
Old 01-09-2016, 03:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

buttery croissant dohhhhh
Old 01-09-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

I have pre-diabetes, too. It's important that we eat regularly so the blood stays even.....easier said than done, but we can do this! Not eating will also mess with us, so try to eat something; mostly vegetables with a little dressing so the fats in the dressing help us absorb the nutrients, some protein, good bread, brown rice (multi-grains), and if we indulge in sweets, make it a very small portion and chew slowly to savor the flavor.

You are doing well!! I've been reading....

Take care of you, sleepie, we need you!!
Old 01-09-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sleeps,

How are you feeling today?

Have you been able to eat?

When I was extremely depressed, eating became a job from which I expected no pleasure, quite the opposite. But I was breast feeding so had to eat something, so I found a couple things that I knew had a lot of nutritional bang for the buck and forced myself to eat them. Just like medicine. Choked it down.

Your body needs fuel if not everything else is just going to get worse, but you know that.

XXX
Old 01-09-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sleepie, the first week in a new job is always going to be tough, especially with early hours that you mentioned. Have faith that you will be able to adjust to this and manage.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
learning to live

thinking of you sleepie... I know you CAN do this

Old 01-09-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

A little
Had some plantain and chicken yesterday

today a breakfast

thanks guys

still craving croissant Delf
Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Go get croissant.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That's going to happen. We have to go to the supermarket today.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

A
Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
A little
Had some plantain and chicken yesterday

today a breakfast

thanks guys

still craving croissant Delf
If you lived near me I'd buy you 10 croissants! But plantains...yum. I like them green or ripe. Seems weird to say in Candyland, but keep eating! Lol

I did give up most simple carbs and sugar a long time ago. There are some treats that are really hard to give up though. Yeah, that addiction they talk about. But hey, let's take it one action at a time, ok??

D.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Go get croissant.
Trache!

D.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Sleeps,

How are you feeling today?

Have you been able to eat?

When I was extremely depressed, eating became a job from which I expected no pleasure, quite the opposite. But I was breast feeding so had to eat something, so I found a couple things that I knew had a lot of nutritional bang for the buck and forced myself to eat them. Just like medicine. Choked it down.

Your body needs fuel if not everything else is just going to get worse, but you know that.

XXX
Dropsie, I had to force myself to eat during my pregnancy. My big bang for the buck foods were avocados and eggs. That's why I recommend them so much. During my breastfeeding period I ate like a caveman and still lost a ton of weight, especially around the 8month mark. I still remember those days of totally guiltless eating with fondness.

D.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Oh sugar bear, such good advice... I hope I can take it before it's too late.

Delf I would love to eat croissants with you.

I'm so impressed you gave up simple carbs and sugar, how on earth- all at once or a progression?

Foods are manufactured now to be addictive. I hate that. And I still eat it.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Don't forget to buy your lottery ticket...