Notices

Is my drinking problematic?

Old 01-07-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is my drinking problematic?

Hello guys, i am new here so nice to meet you all

So basically i have been drinking since 16 now 19 so about 3 years and me and alcohol just clicked back in the day never did any other drugs except smoking cigarettes. For the past 3 years i'd say i've been drinking rather regularly and always enjoy having a couple of drinks and listening to some music so this is basically my way of relaxation. However recently i have been quite confused and been asking myself a lot of questions.

I have been unemployed for 3 weeks now(not alcohol related) and been partying a little to much i think. So as i said for the past 3 years me and alcohol have been buddies but it always felt like there was control over it where now that i have been totally bored out of my mind all day and free i have started to somewhat feel anxious about my drinking and can't figure out if i am just freaking out for no real reason or there is perhaps a problem i need to work on, so that's why i decided to post here as i see there is a lot of experienced people on this forum.

Basically for these past 3 years i have been drinking Bourbon&Cola cans 6% 420ml 4 cans at the most per occasion. However i recently realize i can't honestly say how many days i've had completely sober for these past 3 years, it's been a daily habit of mine, never really getting drunk but rather get a good buzz going on and stop. I wouldn't say i have a tolerance increase too because i still can do at the maximum 5 cans and the fifth just feels awful like i am sick already from it. However while the amount of drinks are probably not what a typical alcoholic drinks every day i am feeling anxious for the fact that i can't really remember having a long brake from drinking for a very long time. I have gone a week i remember at one point last year when i was really busy with exams in university but that's as far as it goes. Now that i am unemployed i find myself beggining to drink 3-4 hours after waking up or even some times right after waking up just because.. And don't get me wrong there is no physical W/D i worry about at this point since i haven't got any but it just feels like 'Uhh another day of utter boredom starting' and that's when i say 'ohh might as well have 2-3 cans'.

I even got so anxious at one point that i started checking if my hands shake in the morning which they don't and obviously exaggerating since i'd feel the physical W/D if they existed i am pretty sure. However what worries me the most is that when i think about my drinking i find myself coming to the conclusion that i don't see my life further being completely alcohol free, like i can see cutting down but i can't imagine not drinking forever and this rather scares me. My mom has also expressed multiple concerns over the years regarding my drinking habits which also gets me thinking.

Can anyone who's gone through the alcoholism process relate to my story in anyway? Was your experience with alcohol similar? I just can't really make a decision in my head if i am a problem drinker or if i am just being anxious... Things that make me feel there is no particular problem but rather an unhealthy hobby is that i haven't really lost anything to alcohol, no trouble at work, no missed school assignments and no real problems created apart from probably doing bad on my finance as a result of smoking and drinking which is very expensive where i live.

Sorry for long post guys
Old 01-07-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If drinking is causing you problems, perhaps best to give it up. Try going sober for three months and see how you feel then.

Welcome to the family.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you've been getting "a buzz" pretty much daily for years I'd say you have a problem.

The "shaking hands" check doesn't mean anything really.
This is especially true as you've really never been in withdrawal if you drinking
daily.

I think three weeks out of work and still partying also is a sign of trouble.
Maybe put down the bottle and put the focus back on getting employment
unless you don't need money?

Glad you are here and welcome
Old 01-07-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You shouldn't compare yourself to others, a lot of people fall into the trap of "I don't drink as much as other people so therefore I don't have a problem." If drinking is creating anxiety in your life then it's worth thinking about quitting/cutting down!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys I might indeed try and take a long brake from alcohol and focus on more important things. As to physical W/D i did 3 days last week no drinking as i ran out of money because i went clubbing one to many times and didn't have any symptoms of physical dependance thank god for that, but the mental side of things i was literally craving it every second i was not doing anything productive. Anyhow nice being here and will report back on the situation
Old 01-07-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

v0da12,

I see some serious red flags here. Alcoholism is progressive, and you're showing some worrisome traits at a young age. Taking a long break is indeed a good idea. I for one had not progressed to the level of drinking that you describe until about 25 years old. Now at 38 alcohol is causing issues with my health, my relationships, and my finances.

Take a look through some of threads, and you'll read stories of the progressive nature of alcoholism and how it has destroyed lives.

Be careful.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

my opinion you got an issue but my opinion doesnt really matter. what your opinion of your habit does tho. I think the best test of it is to quit for a few months see how it goes etc..

at your age I was only drinking on the weekends binge drinking of course and smoking dope now and then. I didnt have drinking problem or so i thought. It evolved from there however. In hindsite I had a problem then tho.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Voda
Old 01-07-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome voda, lots of good advice already. My thoughts would be that if you willingly came here ( a sobriety community) to ask other people if you have an alcohol problem, there's a reason right?
Old 01-07-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome voda, lots of good advice already. My thoughts would be that if you willingly came here ( a sobriety community) to ask other people if you have an alcohol problem, there's a reason right?
There is a reason indeed I will make today the last drinking day and go on with staying sober for a few months see how it goes, it should be very obvious if there is a problem when i don't drink for longer than a few days.

Thing is i am in a position where i get really bored so i must find something to be busy with or i will drink because i've been killing boredom with alcohol for far too long.

I am just worried about my health the most and ofcourse being an alcoholic without realizing it at all. Thanks for advice guys, really nice being here
Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR Voda.
I think that' s a great idea. I would also suggest you keep a diary or blog (SR has a blog feature) of some sort so you can document how you feel, your struggles, what makes you want to drink etc.
It will give you something to look at and ponder when you are at the end of your few months not drinking.
You might or might not be an alcoholic but right now you are on a slippery slope and with no income coming in, throwing money on drinks and clubbing is not a very wise thing to do.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with Carlotta. Tell yourself that you're going to abstain for six months. If you have a grisley gut reaction to that statement, its a red flag. If you just can't do the six months, red flag. If it's all a breeze, at least you gave your body a break. -which is something I believe all regular drinkers could benefit from.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Carlotta,Leviathan thanks for responding to my problem

Yes i will try abstaining for long, thing that worries me is the boredom and the fact that i seem to not being able to see the future as alcohol free for the simple fact that i enjoy alcohol a lot. However to ease my fears of alcoholism and health troubles i will abstain for as long as i can and take it from there.

Thank you all for trying to help me!!!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

v0da, welcome to SR.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drinking was definitely a hobby for me. Boredom is relieved by hobbies. I had to find new hobbies. LOL!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I think that Leviathan has a great idea. Why not make a list of things you would like to do or hobby you would like to take and use this sabbatical from drinking as an opportunity?
It could be anything: classes, a sport, a craft etc.
I always recommend volunteering as a way to give back to the community, make interesting new friends and also cultivate gratitude in life.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Is your drinking problematic? You can answer that better than any of us! People don't normally come here if they "don't" have a problem with drinking. At the very least, your drinking must be of some concern to you otherwise you wouldn't be taking the time to ask about it. No one here knows whether or not you're being entirely truthful about your drinking. Personally, I would have never gone to get advice from a bunch of people I didn't know about alcohol unless I knew there was a problem. You say you haven't had any trouble, and to that I just say "yet". You haven't had any trouble "yet"! An old timer in AA said once, "if alcohol causes problems, alcohol is the problem and if you can't stop drinking on your own, you need help." Do some soul searching and answer you own question.