Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Help. Question about Withdraw... It's been 3 days

Notices

Old 01-06-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello. 1st post

I recently stopped drinking Sunday night (almost 3 nights ago). I never thought about withdraws until an hour ago (started reading about it) and i'm freaking myself out... i think...

Been drinking for 10+ years (almost every day). Last 2 years got worse like around 12 drinks a night (ever day) -- mostly beer and a few shots. On weekends more

Monday night (1st night) was fine (a bit of a crappy sleep). Tuesday felt pretty great and refreshed. I even jogged for half hour. Slept like a baby last night. Today was OK until i started reading

I just suddenly started worrying about withdraws but i think i feel fine. Got anxious when i started reading the dangers...

My plan was to just drink on the weekdays to ease off this crazy way of living life.

Any thoughts? should i be worried about a sudden seizure?
Old 01-06-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you're not feeling major withdrawals now after 3 days, you almost certainly won't. But talk to a doc if you're worried. And don't let fear of withdrawal seizures lead you to an excuse to go back to drinking, that's exactly what your addict voice wants you to do.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm in the exact same boat. I had a 10-15 drink a day habit for the past five years, from hard booze to wine to beer to mouth wash. My last drink was two bottles of wine on Sunday in about 1 hour. Monday felt weird, stayed up all night feeling the weight of my decision to stop drinking and reflecting on all of the mistakes I made, the friends whose trust I lost (and will mostly like never get back) and how difficult this process will ultimately be. I slept well last night, despite confessing my addiction to my now ex-girlfriend and having her tell me she doesn't want to support me in this endeavor, because in the grand scheme of things, my health has to come first. But like you too, I worried about seizures, but I told myself that I probably wouldn't get one if I stopped NOW, rather than wait and keep drinking to stave them off. I wish you luck. Feel free to PM me.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So just like that, as soon as i posted this i walked around and had a huge anxiety attack and thought maybe i was gonna have a seizure. I was freaking out. I knew i had a mini bottle of rum in my golf bag and used that as some kind of relief. I've never had an anxiety attack before, just average anxiety. This really sucks i wish i would have posted this earlier.

Thank you guys above. i will beat this.

Sucks

EDIT: Question...

The past three days i didn't have cravings to drink... Is that normal?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's best to see a real doctor vs Dr. google when it comes to potential withdrawal symptoms. Your anxiety attack may have been just that, I had horrible anxiety the first week or so after I quit - but please see a doctor if you fear physical symptoms. It's much better to be safe than sorry.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As someone who recently had 2 seizures from two ill-advised "cold turkey" attempts to quit, I can tell you they both happened within 24 hours of quitting, and I had never had seizures in countless previous attempts to quit. But then in two consecutive attempts = seizures. In both cases, there was no warning: I just woke up in an ambulance with a paramedic telling me I had a seizure. We can't give medical advice, just offering my experience for what its worth. Best of luck to you.