Notices

Can't get Librium- HELP

Old 01-03-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't get Librium- HELP

Hi everyone

Well as the title says. I have been drinking around 8 UK units per night for the past three months, with this increasing to 15+ UK units on the weekends. I want to stop, but the reason I haven't is I feel too anxious when I do stop.

And I get terrible insomnia (the reason I started drinking was as a night cap!!!)

I phoned the "out of hours" GP last night, and he told me I haven't been drinking enough to warrant Librium?

Uhm... So why am I having these symptoms???? Should I phone the Out of hours again, hoping I get a different doctor? My GP wont be back until tomorrow and I dont want to wait until then BECAUSE I DONT WANT ANOTHER NIGHT OF DRINKING TO AVOID WITHDRAWALS!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Withdrawals are unavoidable unfortunately. Usually doctors prescribe other drugs to help prevent some of the really bad/dangerous possibilities like seizures, stroke, etc. Insomnia is a pretty common side effect of quitting and while it is unpleasant, it is not life threatening.

Having said that consulting with your doctor is a good idea before quitting. If you can't wait until tomorrow see an emergency doc. Most doctors won't just prescribe a benzo or any other similar drug over the phone as they have addictive qualities themselves, and can be very dangerous when mixed with alcohol.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Unfortunately, withdrawal comes with symptoms. Getting through them is sometimes referred to as "white-knuckling". You just grab something and hang on. They will pass.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's going to be a natural period of withdrawal that we can't wipe away with another substance, it's the nature of the beast unfortunately, the body after years of drinking needs to adjust.

The good news is it doesn't last for ever, things will get better in time, but we have to start somewhere with the body adjusting away from alcohol.

You can do this!!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right, librium won't save you from going through withdrawals, and insomnia and anxiety come with that. In the US at least, it's prescribed to heavy drinkers to reduce the chances of seizures, and generally only for a short period of time, like a few days. You might talk to a doctor personally, but if with our without meds we have to stop if we're ever going to stop, and there will be unpleasant effects.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In my experience going back to 1998, where I live an on call doc will not prescribe, it's my experience to go to emergency, detox or get in contact with your GP. I believe they need to see what you are experiencing and there are various medications to help us through withdrawal, some simply did not work in my case but a doctor in person can help you.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Withdrawals are unavoidable unfortunately. Usually doctors prescribe other drugs to help prevent some of the really bad/dangerous possibilities like seizures, stroke, etc. Insomnia is a pretty common side effect of quitting and while it is unpleasant, it is not life threatening.

Having said that consulting with your doctor is a good idea before quitting. If you can't wait until tomorrow see an emergency doc. Most doctors won't just prescribe a benzo or any other similar drug over the phone as they have addictive qualities themselves, and can be very dangerous when mixed with alcohol.
This

I doubt you would have Dts but everyone is diffrent & if was that bad maybe going to the hospital rather than ringing a Dr would be your best bet benzos are highly addictive Drs in the uk rarely prescribe them

WD's are part of the process DT's are life threatening
Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good news

Well everyone just to update you. The out of hours GP phoned me back, and amazingly it was my GP doing the rota today!! So right away he knew me and (unfortunately) said "I know you've been in with me for this before"(he's a great guy and sounded disappointed)

Anyway he says if I still feel I need the Librium in the morning he'll write a Rx for it. He said my alternative would be to taper off. Tbh I do feel maybe I won't take the librium because I havent been drinking to "dangerous" levels per se.

But anyway I'll keep you all updated. 2016 will be my sober year.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If / when you do get the medication, please remember that although it might help with the process of getting sober, in order to learn to be comfortable in sobriety, and heighten our chances of maintaining a healthy sobriety, it's usually necessary for us to do some work on our thinking and the way we manage 'life'. This is the recovery part of things. Even in sobriety, life can't always be peachy, and the recovery process teaches us ways to deal with those times without feeling the need to take a drink.

Why settle for sobriety when you could have recovery?

I hope you get to see a Doctor or someone who can help you soon.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by am658 View Post
Well everyone just to update you. The out of hours GP phoned me back, and amazingly it was my GP doing the rota today!! So right away he knew me and (unfortunately) said "I know you've been in with me for this before"(he's a great guy and sounded disappointed)

Anyway he says if I still feel I need the Librium in the morning he'll write a Rx for it. He said my alternative would be to taper off. Tbh I do feel maybe I won't take the librium because I havent been drinking to "dangerous" levels per se.

But anyway I'll keep you all updated. 2016 will be my sober year.
Glad you heard back from your own doc. Keep in close touch with him tomorrow as the amount you drink isn't always an indicator of how bad withdrawals will be. But to be quite honest, 8 units a night during the week and 15 a night on weekends is way beyond a "safe" or "normal" amount.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i hope you dont become addicted to librium.

is anxiety and insomnia the only symptoms you experience?

ten years sober and i still get bouts of insomnia.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

Just to add a different perspective here...

I went to detox and they had me on Ativan through the acute withdrawal phase (4 days in my case).

It made a huge difference. My withdrawals had gotten very dangerous. But I'd also been through many, many withdrawals previously... those weren't as dangerous, but they were bad enough that I'd relent and drink after a week or so of being absolutely physically wrecked.

Saving myself some of the physical strife this time put me in a better place mentally to start the emotional work. I wish I'd done it earlier.

I do agree that just taking home a prescription is much riskier. Also, Librium is a really intense drug. I was roommates at rehab with a woman who was detoxed on Librium, and she was foggy headed for nearly a week after.

But I don't think it should be implied that detoxing under medical supervision, with the assistance of medication, is somehow "not doing the work". Withdrawal is dangerous.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

We can't depend on a substance to make or keep us sober.

Librium is merely a tool to assist in going through withdrawl; withdrawl is unavoidable.
I consulted a Dr. and chose to try and withdraw alone, with the back up plan to get a ride to the ER if I couldn't do it; I ended up in the ER after a 12 hour 'white knuckle'. The staff was experienced and professional.

Everyone should have medical support if at all possible; and it is always available -one way or another-.

Afterwards I did not want to have to go through it again and have stayed sober for 4 1/2 years One Day At A Time.

Want to avoid withdrawls? Don't drink.