Notices

Is it worth going to the doctor?

Old 01-27-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Scott - I'm waiting for a place to open at my local alcohol detox support group, I've been given a drinking limit to stick by until that's available.

Well, yesterday was eventful. I felt awful, the worst I've ever felt in my life. I completely wanted to give up and I broke my limit and got drunk. Instead of doing anything stupid I went to that support group, they were all so nice to me even though I couldn't stay sober for it. Some of the other made a point of coming and sitting with me to support me through it, I really needed that kindness. I'm going to go back sober and apologise for practically running out the door at the end because I wasn't thinking straight.

On another note, I'm going to have to increase my daily limit. The guy who advised me said it would take some time to figure out what works for me and that it's fine to increase it if I'm still getting withdrawal. My hands shaking all the time is getting incredibly frustrating, I keep feeling faint, getting drenched in sweat and my vision is getting blurry. These past few weeks have made me realise that I was drinking a lot more than I thought I was, so two units a day is a pretty dramatic drop - it's sad that I have to increase it but I don't much fancy collapsing in public.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

OldTomato - Seems like you're in the system so I guess that's progress. Well done.

I've personally now tapered from 30 units per day to 10. So far I have night sweats and a mild headache but no other withdrawal symptoms. 2 units a day does seem very low in your position. Most medical detoxes seem to take a week so my plan is to taper down to zero over 7 days if all goes according to plan. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Just to add, there's something called a CIWA form (Google it) that was used frequently to assess my withdrawals when I was previously in inpatient detox. It's worth a look to give you an idea of how you are doing.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thank you for suggesting the form Forwards, there were a few things on there that I didn't even know were withdrawal symptoms until now. Seems like I'm averaging most things right now. Good luck with the tapering plan, definitely keep me updated on that, I wish you all the best - you're doing brilliantly, please take care of yourself.

I've got my plan for tomorrow all sorted out, catching up with some college work and visiting a friend. If I feel up to it I'll go to the Thursday support group. I'm exhausted though - I keep getting woken up by my heart racing, and the need to stay constantly busy on top of withdrawal symptoms is really taking a lot out of me. I'm trying not to give myself a hard time if I feel too unwell to get things done, I need to keep my stress levels at a minimum right now.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

OldTomato,

Any progress on getting on a plan for safe medical detox buddy? How are things going? Got on here for the first time in couple weeks and wanted to check in.