Notices

Is it worth going to the doctor?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're moving in a positive direction OT

Well done reaching out for face support--it isn't easy but you did it.

Your future is limitless sober--don't let your addictive voice tell you otherwise.
I hope you are feeling a bit better
Old 01-21-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what happened OT but I'm glad you're using it as an impetus to move forward

D
Old 01-24-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

So, I've been sticking to a routine of two units in the morning, two units when I get home and two units before I go to bed. It eases the shaking but doesn't quite stop it, and I'm still getting withdrawal sweats. The cravings are also insane, I can't stay in the house and have to keep myself constantly busy to stop myself drinking.

I was advised to increase my daily limit if I was still going into withdrawal, but I'm not sure if it would be wise to do this as I'd feel as if I were giving into the cravings! Not sure what to do.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

We can't give medical advice--my question is, are you sleeping?

I had the shakes and sweats even after withdrawal for awhile--but I can't speak for others.

Of course you are craving like mad.
That's part of the process of stopping.
It will get better.

Maybe ring you GP and ask about this?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

For me, my blood pressure was elevated because I drank so much for so long and I would get sweaty and shaky when I was anxious or upset even when not drinking. Hard to tell the difference between withdrawal and anxiety attacks sometimes.

I agree a call to a medical professional is in order - they can advise you on what to watch for.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by v0da12 View Post
What i am posting is unrelated but i can't help but wonder how some people drink way more like a person i know drinks 700ml a night and has no physical W/D nor a hard time staying sober for a week or two and then there is people like you who get a full blown alcoholism by drinking 330ml a day for only 1 year... Strange things man.

PS. And those stories about people getting liver failure at 25 are plain scary or hepatatis C at 21...
It is a progressive Disease. Having said that, some people manage to divert the devil and are able to drink longer and more than other alcoholics. Their past will and does eventully catch up to them. Ones health to begin with can also dictate how long they can abuse their bodies. In the end, you either find yourself in jail, sick, or dead. Period.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Old Tomato,

Just now reading your story, I don't recommend tapering down for anyone but I myself did taper til I could see my PP. At the end of my taper I was already having withdrawal symptoms. I was able however to start detoxing on benzo's by the next day. Critical for most of us. Call your doctor and see what he recommends. Hopefully you can keep your withdrawals at bay til then. Otherwise do go to the ER. Wishing you the very best. I'm now 2 years sober and it's been the best time of my life.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

If you haven't already done so maybe discuss your symptoms with the man who first assessed you and advised the 2 units. Maybe you need re-assessing. Your friend asking you to leave is understandable as you yourself say. Every cloud.....it just might be the catalyst. Welcome OT.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Old Tomato, I feel for you. It sounds downright terrible. Remember this time though. There will be times you think this is all behind you and having a drink could be fine. Just remember this time. You never want to get here again.

If ER is not an option for you (I would highly recommend it, as it got me outpatient treatment the day of. Again though I don't know the Healthcare practices of where you are), I've heard stories of tapering working but being risky.

Keep seeking medical help. People here get what you are going through. Alcohol was "medicine" for me for awhile and I hated it. And it's scary. I was terrified of stopping and tried on my own, that's when I realized I couldn't do it on my own and broke. I did the ER route and it helped get me to where I am today.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good luck today and best wishes as you see what you can do for yourself to have the life you deserve. Thinking of you!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Interesting to note some discussion of tapering above. I'm just embarking on a beer taper and wondered if anyone had any experience of this.

The plan is 25 units yesterday, 15 units today, 10 units tomorrow, 5 units the next and then to quit completely. Given most medical detoxes take about a week does this seem about the right timescale for this? Should I just judge it on the severity of the withdrawals on any given day?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
~sb

Please talk with a doctor who is informed about alcoholism. The body gets used to daily intake of alcohol, no matter the amount.....taking that away abruptly can lead to problems.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Given most medical detoxes take about a week does this seem about the right timescale for this? Should I just judge it on the severity of the withdrawals on any given day?
You should speak with your doctor about this. You could see a different doctor if you want a second opinion, but we cannot give medical advice here which is what you are asking.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I have my first support group tomorrow at the place where I had my first assessment, I should be able to catch a staff member at some point and ask them if I should increase my limit. I went into work briefly today to sort out my hours and could barely form a sentence, I feel really low, I think I need to phone up my doctor and find out what's going on - the days are getting harder and I think at least knowing when I can start detox will help.

Hawkeye - My sleeping pattern hasn't changed, still waking up frequently in the night but that's the norm for me now. Definitely feel a lot worse when I wake up in the mornings though, a lot of shaking and just generally feeling unwell - it's been a struggle to get out of bed!

Flyfisher - I've heard from others that have quit that it's easy to look back at times of drinking through rose-tinted spectacles. I've fallen into this trap the several other times I've tried to quit. This time I feel different, I feel deeply ashamed and embarrassed about everything I've done while drinking. Whenever the cravings are beating me I just remind myself of everything drinking has put me through, and that if I start again it could get way way worse.

Forwards - I would recommend talking to a doctor or an alcohol/drug service (either over the phone or face to face) rather than setting your own limits. They'll be able to give to help and advice based on how much you drink, and also tell you what to do should withdrawal symptoms arise. Tapering without support can be risky.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Please see a doctor. I was lucky that I was able to see my doctor when I did. My symptoms had started escalating by the time I saw him. I detoxed at home with his advice and medication. Wished I'd known about rehab back then.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I'm phoning my doctor later to at least get my blood results back. I feel even worse today, I don't even have the energy to brush my hair let alone leave the house. I'm not interested in drinking or even being alive at this point, this is absolutely awful. Is this normal?!
Old 01-26-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
I'm phoning my doctor later to at least get my blood results back. I feel even worse today, I don't even have the energy to brush my hair let alone leave the house. I'm not interested in drinking or even being alive at this point, this is absolutely awful. Is this normal?!
There really isn't a "normal" when it comes to Detoxing, everyone reacts differently. Hopefully your doctor can provide some insight. Have you quit completely or are you still drinking some?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Let your doctor know what and how you are feeling.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

yes you should see a doctor,some people need help to stop and you don't want to stop on your own,you might have severe withdrawals,good luck I hope you feel better,I really do!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

With help, you'll get through this. A new life is waiting for you, OT!