Notices

Relapsing

Old 01-01-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsing

Hi all im new here. I was sober for 4 moths but the last few months i have relapsed 4 times i end up on 7-10 day benders. I also suffer with anxiety disorders. When ever i try to put the drink down my aneity gets worse can anyone give me any help on how to deal with this. My dr has me on medication but nothing seems to work no more. My acid re-flux has returned and i just feel utter crap at the moment
Old 01-01-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Perhaps see your doctor for help in getting sober. Meds can be given to ease the discomfort the first few days.

Then get into some sort of program to stay sober, like AA or Smart.

It is possible to get sober and live a better life, but first you have to stop drinking.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I felt the same way for a long time - I highly suggest talking to your doctor again, and trying some sort of program, whether it's rehab, AA, etc. Personally, I wasn't able to stay sober until I joined AA. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BMEDGE View Post

can anyone give me any help on how to deal with this.
AA meetings and exercise helps many with anxiety.
MM
Old 01-01-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol causes anxiety in many people, except when you're drunk - so you stop, you feel anxiety, you drink to feel normal again, and the cycle continues. You may have to stop drinking a lot longer than 4 months, and take other actions and learn other coping mechanisms like meditation, before you get through that phase. But you do get through it. I know my HMO won't even prescribe anxiety meds to addicts until they've been sober 6 months or more, because it can take that long for your brain to clear enough that they can properly treat any underlying anxiety issues.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't stop trying ever. Those meds aren't meant to be mixed with alcohol. I done the same thing in the past. They work totally different when you don't drink.....Peace
TC
Old 01-01-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 01-01-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum BMEDGE!!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I too had 4 months and then thought I could "handle it" again. Big mistake. Anxiety is back in full force- alcohol messes with our neurotransmitters and central nervous system which create the panic and anxiety. The only way to return your anxiety to normal is to stop drinking. Talk with your doctor to see how he can help and prescribe while your body heals itself. It will get better if you just don't pick up the first drink. You CAN do this!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Takes time to get over the hump. Calmness will return. Trust us.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welp, i have my opionions on bot relapse and anxiety.
first is for a relapse to happen a person has to have time sober and have started to change thinking and behavior. after that has occured, a relapse ends with a drink. personally i call em premeditated drunks, mainly because i was told some time ago i was on one. it took another month before i got the f its and was gonna drink.

only by the grace of God did i have alil time before heading to the store did i see i was workin on that thought for some time-was sliding back into drinking behaviors and thoughts.

anxiety is fear. i suffered from it greatly when drinking but didnt call it anxitey, or what i read often here, social anxiety. it was straight up fear. many faces of fear cotrolled me- biggest being fear of other peoples opion of me. i thought i was so important everyone was thinkin about me and their opinion was high- so i thought.

an egomaniac with low self esteem.

so i got me some courage to start lookin at myself and causes, conditions, and solutions for the fears.

to get where i am today i had to first not drink. change wasnt going to be felt or happen in a week or month. i was told early on it could take a year for the effects of alcohol to be completely out of me and the true mental and emltional problems to show.
thats when i was put on an antidepressant. but taking that and drinking is a recipe for even more problems.

and the acid reflux went down substantially after a month of not drinking.

getting sober requires complete, 100% dedication and willingness to do whatever is necessary
Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing BMEDGE?

D