Notices

Did you ever drink before/during work?

Old 12-30-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did you ever drink before/during work?

I've been lurking so much on here over the past twenty four hours and I am completely shocked that there are so many others out there who seem to be JUST LIKE ME. I'm not sure why, but I really thought I was alone in this illness. I've never attended a 12-step meeting, so I haven't been around people who are actively in recovering or who are trying to get in recovery. I've found a lot of comfort here.

My question to you all is, when you were in the throes of your disease, did you ever drink before work? At work? My distorted brain tells me that I'm the only one who ever did this....
Old 12-30-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, I did. I used to have a small cleaning business and ruined it from drinking. I'd go to my jobs drunk and do a poor job of it. Or I'd get too drunk to go and call them to call off.

Glad those days are over.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Never, ever drank before or during work. Ironically, that can help to convince oneself that you don't have a problem.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

i'd drink one to take the edge off or for fun at lunch sometmes. But in the end there where times where I just couldnt take it anymore so I'd have to crack one open on the clock. I never got drunk but i'd catch a buzz. other times I'd start work still way drunk from the night before that happened multiple times a week. I'd log on to work at 8am still sobering up from the prior evening.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

and yeah alcoholics tend to think there unique somehow there situation is different no one understands etc.. then you sign up at a place like this or go to AA or something and realize theres a lot of folkds just like you. its nice.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Right, I used that as a rationalization, "Hey, I'm not an alcoholic, I don't drink before or at work!" But in fact I did, the night before, heavily, and I'd routinely go to work still buzzed and then start getting shakey by mid-afternoon. If I felt too buzzed, I'd call in sick or with some other excuse - like, just about every single Monday. That was kinda what pushed me into recovery, getting in trouble at work for never being there and being "off" when I was there.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't, I am a classic closet drinker, sure I have got up in the morning far too many times and the first thing I did was have a drink but I would not go to work, maybe its because of what I do I could never trust myself and honestly in my case I get black outs and the risk to others and myself simply too high.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by recoverynewbie View Post
I've been lurking so much on here over the past twenty four hours and I am completely shocked that there are so many others out there who seem to be JUST LIKE ME. I'm not sure why, but I really thought I was alone in this illness. I've never attended a 12-step meeting, so I haven't been around people who are actively in recovering or who are trying to get in recovery. I've found a lot of comfort here.

My question to you all is, when you were in the throes of your disease, did you ever drink before work? At work? My distorted brain tells me that I'm the only one who ever did this....
Did I ever drink before or during work?

Yes, I often did.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, bottles stacking up in my desk draw. Aarrarrgghh, how to dispose of them, what if someone innocently goes to my desk? Not a happy place to be always full of fear. It feels good to not hold secrets like that - the duel existence is no longer for me and you are not alone.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I figured early on that drinking on the job or in the AM was something only an alkie did........so I never did it.

But.....I would take a shot here and there in the morning but that was only because it would lessen the pain of a hangover. Sometimes, at work, I'd sneak out to my car and have a quick nip but that was only because a slight buzz made me more talkative and less inhibited and as a salesman, that was good for business..... It's ok though because I really only did this 2 or 3x in a week......

And yanno.... I was so damn delusional I was able to believe that drinking in the morning or while at work was something only loser alcoholics did, believe I wasn't one of them, yet drank in the morning AND while at work. Impressive huh? lmao.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Never drank before work, but did drink at work a couple of times when I was there alone and nursing a hangover. Talk about hitting a low point in my life. Still can't believe I did that. I have a great job and great employers and put it all at risk. I'm grateful I still have that job. I will never do that again.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I somehow managed to not drink on the job, but I did start ending my work day earlier and earlier to get to "happy hour" and sneak in as many beers as possible without others noticing. Pretty much from the minute I left work and hit the bar though I drank until I fell asleep or passed out. Any day I was off work I started drinking around 10:30 or so.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Ummm.....Ya...that was sorta the problem! AND not stopping once I started.

I know what you mean about relating to the other members here...it's amazing how many posts I've read that coulda come straight outta my mouth! Stories so so so so much like mine!

You've found a good spot here....If you really want to get sober....listen to the advice you get here and work really hard to follow it....seek support, read what you can and BE AWARE of the addict in your head telling you to drink.....shut that voice down as soon as it makes a peep!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

Ummm... I had a couple of shots every morning just to get out of the house. Then when I couldn't keep liquor in the house anymore, the first thing I did was have a shot at the office. I drank before I took off my coat. Slowly but steadily all day every day, holiday or hurricane day. I was a maintainence drinker and rarely got very drunk -- I binged when alone & some days went unpredictably into blackouts but otherwise I just drank enough all day to keep off the shakes and stay numb.

Thanks for the memories. You're not alone.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Indeed I did. Before, sometimes during and always straight after on my commute home. Drinking on my way to work at 10 am in public on the subway, no shame. Crazy to think about. I thought I hid being tipsy well but I wonder now how many people knew.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I thought everyone drank at work/school or where ever. It took me sobering up to realize that wasn't normal.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

At the end of my drinking career, I had it in my system 24/7. If I didn't, I'd shake & be sick. Drank practically 'round the clock - so yes, at work. I can't believe I lived that way.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I never drank in my car or at my office desk but any corporate lunches with the bosses I would be getting the wine down my neck as fast as possible. If it was a sit down do it was tricky because where I live only gentlemen pour the wine and the etiquette at lunch is to pour only a small part of the glass. But the stand up and mingle buffets were ideal. I simply had 4 or 5 glasses on the go all over the room and topped them up at will. Then I would go back to my office, lock the door and sleep until I felt well enough to go home. I got sacked from that one 2 years ago.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Earlier in my time I would drink and I'm a hairdresser not the ideal work environment for someone like me. But now I have graduated to bingers that keep me out of work for days. I go back to work tomorrow hope I feel a lot better
Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm finally onto solid foods this afternoon before I could barely keep broth down I'm finally on the other side (meaning the withdrawal stage). What a relief