Notices

What book would have helped you?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What book would have helped you?

Hello,

I am entering my 11th month of sobriety, and I am beginning to ponder ways to help others through this difficult journey. I know that everyone has a different story and experience, but there are so many things that I learned during recovery that would have helped me had I known them before.

I am a big writer, it allows me to process my thoughts and feelings. I would love to have your input on what type of book or material would help you. I don't just want to go down the typical self-help path, but I think there must be something that could help. What writings would you like to see more of regarding the subject of recovery?

Best wishes!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Humina, congratulations on 11 months! I think it's wonderful that you wish to share your writing talent to help others on their journey.

Personally, I would like to have had more insight into the psychological aspect of early sobriety. I found a great deal of valuable information concerning the physical aspect of alcohol abuse and recovery. Research on the alcoholic's brain was of particular interest to me. However, more information concerning the various emotional issues associated with recovery would have been helpful, also.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing I didn't understand until I was through it, and if anyone told me they didn't get through or I didn't listen, was that it all gets better and it's not always as bad as it is in the bleak early days of sobriety. We eventually stop obsessing over alcohol, we eventually stabilize emotionally, we find things to occupy our time, we do indeed still have fun, we don't always feel socially awkward, etc. Getting that across in short stories, say, might really help some people.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Not sure any book would have helped. I had the attention span of a gnat. Any old novel would help get me to sleep, but anything of an educational nature didn't penetrate the fog.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Originally Posted by Humina View Post
Hello,
I am entering my 11th month of sobriety, and I am beginning to ponder ways to help others through this difficult journey. I know that everyone has a different story and experience, but there are so many things that I learned during recovery that would have helped me had I known them before.
I have been through my 11th year of sobriety (in my 12th year by your way of counting).
My recovery is an ongoing process.
I am still learning.

I am no expert.
But, what might help others is a humble exploration of those things which might have helped you, had you known them before.
Perhaps you could find a common thread which links your learning of each thing.
How did you learn it?
What was the key?
How did it help?

In looking back on my sober journey, it has become apparent that I learned what I learned when I was ready, willing and able to . . .
no sooner.

And I am still forgetting and being reminded.

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." ~ Bob Seger, from Against the Wind

Carry on writing as you carry on learning.

Take care.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No books would have helped me one bit before I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. That moment came on June 27th, 2014.

Since I've been sober I really enjoyed reading Caroline Knapp's "drinking: a love story."
Old 12-30-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerWineGirl View Post
Hi Humina, congratulations on 11 months! I think it's wonderful that you wish to share your writing talent to help others on their journey.

Personally, I would like to have had more insight into the psychological aspect of early sobriety. I found a great deal of valuable information concerning the physical aspect of alcohol abuse and recovery. Research on the alcoholic's brain was of particular interest to me. However, more information concerning the various emotional issues associated with recovery would have been helpful, also.
I "2nd" what FormerWineGirl said!
Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info, guys! I agree that having more info about the emotional side of things would be helpful.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The AA material is great!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No book would have helped me until I was ready to get sober. And then, I didn't need a book.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

you know what might be an interesting read is if htere was a book like a daily devotional but rather then each day it had a list of various topics. IE things one might face in life that would be triggers to drink. The list of those times of items is huge. IE excuses to drink I got buckets. then the person could go to that page and read a few pages along the lines of how to cope with and get past said issue without drinking. how to help sort out your thoughts properly on whatever topic it is.

I guess it could be written from various different prepsectives too. an atheist view point or a christian view point or a buddahism view point or just your average joe writing back to the reading some words of wisdom etc.

I bet something like that could be a good little reference book to have on hand.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If someone wants to get sober it is hard to say/write anything wrong. We have our stories and that is usually most helpful