Notices

never ending story

Old 12-28-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

never ending story

Started seeking help in 2007, got treatment but relapsed again and again and now 8 nearly 9 years later nothing has changed. I wake up every morning thinking will this ever end?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What happened to your detox plan with your girlfriend? You have been given many suggestions of different ways to seek help here sunnys. I hope you can utilizes some of them.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm supposed to be detoxifying at hers tommorow, but she's asleep now so can't talk to her.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing changes if nothing changes, Sunny.

Recovery is hard. Really tough. We all remember how difficult it was, especially when it came to taking that first step. There is no quick fix.

That said, quitting is a simple 2-step process. Step 1: put down the drink. Step 2: don't take another. As impossible as that sounds, many of us have done it. If we can do it, you can too!

Maybe right now it's good to just make one plan and stick to it. No more jumping around to different ideas and methods. Just quit. Will that work for you?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Have you considered medical detox? Have you seen your doctor? He/she can help you detox safely. Alcohol detox is dangerous and it's not something your girlfriend should be responsible for.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html

Never give up trying but do look into rehab its obvious you can't do it alone I mean that with love my sisters both done 6 month rehabs & changed thier life
Old 12-28-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sunnys.
I am asking myself what are your reasons for wanting to quit? Silly question maybe but I ask the question because I have just read through your 2 previous threads today and yesterday where you have received so much great help, advice, information and contacts from members with a wealth of experience. Yet you remain passive and defeatist in your new thread here. This is absolutely not a judgement but simply an observation.
Maybe if you can talk about YOUR personal reasons for wanting to stop and why you believe that now is the right time, and your real level of motivation, then SR members can understand you better and help more. Good luck to you.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

you cant give up tryng because sooner or later it sticks.

its true its simple just dont drink imean how much harder can it be then that. But we overcomplicate the heck out of it in our minds! and lke from one moment ot the next our minds are like trying to tell us why we should or need a drink etc.. its all a lie tho!

our problems in life are not due to an alcohol deficiency and wont be solved by booze.

i never made too many big efforts to quit drinking. I tried cutting back or some crap now and then but it never worked. tried drinking this instead of that thinking it might help matters or something. When i did finally get serious i was able to do it tho somehow dunno how.

But with smoking for some reason there was a lot of false starts on quiting that. Tho quiting booze was far more difficult then quiting cigarettes.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's not easy, but it's simple: it ends when you make it end.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

if ya want it to end it can.
you yourself say nothing has changed and there is where the problem is. the change has to be you changing. you have to be willing to do whatever is necessary to get and stay sober.

are you willing to do whatever is necessary?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by sunnys80 View Post
Started seeking help in 2007, got treatment but relapsed again and again and now 8 nearly 9 years later nothing has changed. I wake up every morning thinking will this ever end?
My start in recovery was something like this only over a shorter time frame. The thing was that although I had started seeking help, I didn't like the help available and I refused to take the action that was required to bring about recovery. I thought there had to be an easier way.

My disease progressed very quickly until I reached a point where it dawned on me that I was trying to negotiate the terms of my recovery from a position of extreme weakness. You should always negotiate from a position of strength. BTW.

I had run out of options. Bluff and bluster no longer served me. I looked upon my one remaining chance of recovery with the gift of desperation. The only other choice was to face an alcoholic death.

What will your choice be?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
Hi Sunnys.
I am asking myself what are your reasons for wanting to quit? Silly question maybe but I ask the question because I have just read through your 2 previous threads today and yesterday where you have received so much great help, advice, information and contacts from members with a wealth of experience. Yet you remain passive and defeatist in your new thread here. This is absolutely not a judgement but simply an observation.
Maybe if you can talk about YOUR personal reasons for wanting to stop and why you believe that now is the right time, and your real level of motivation, then SR members can understand you better and help more. Good luck to you.
Because I have a degree in computer science and want to use it, instead of dead end jobs. Plus I want to get married and have kids before it's too late.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Because I have a degree in computer science and want to use it, instead of dead end jobs. Plus I want to get married and have kids before it's too late.
Those sound like great reasons to me. So are you following through on making today be day 1?
Old 12-29-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fantastic reasons.

So option 1.. carry on as you are, crawling through life, working in a series of unrewarding jobs, jobs that will be harder and harder to come by and increasingly short lived as your addiction progresses to find yourself in later life alone with no family and only a bottle for company.

Or option 2. Wake up, trawl through this thread, and your previous threads, pick out the information and suggestions that strike a chord with you, file the others away for a rainy day then make a commitment and dig deep. Fast forward 10 years from now and picture yourself with a great career in computing, a loving partner and being a meaningful member of a united family.

Which option is it to be?

I am probably 20 years older than you. I have 30 years of regrets under my belt caused by drinking. I do not wish you or anyone to go through that. I am only 50 days sober but it means so much to me it may as well be 50 years.

Come on Sunnys. Action needed.