Notices

Non AA Route?

Old 12-28-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As usual I am humbled by the positive responses and suggestions! You guys rock! 1 year is around the corner. When I get there I will post my story as I need to reach my goal first to feel worthy amongst so many who have done so much hard work.I will also fill everyone in on what I decided to do for giving back.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe the thing that makes SR such an amazing place, is because we welcome any kind of recovery method or combination that works for you. We become stronger here because we listen to each other and we share what we know. I think it's great that you are looking for ways to give back.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I started with some mandatory AA in my treatment center, but didn't use AA much after the first month. That said: I often recommend AA to someone who is completely lost and doesn't know where to start. Having support is key - and AA tends to be the most visibly available resource. While I don't agree with everything in AA (who does?), it would be selfish of me not to share every available option with a person who is starting their journey.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

JeffreyAK is right. Most former alcoholics quit without any formal recovery program, including AA. This might not be evident because most just get on with things, filling their lives with the good stuff. They don't necessarily hang around here and many feel as I do that they are done with the stuff, forever and for good. That's why you won't see them on message boards, they are just too busy!

Others feel as you and I do, Talkinandwalkin, that we can perform a service to those still stuck in their addiction, interested in how others have gotten sober. There are lots of resources available, and the Secular Connections forum is devoted to these alternative support tools.

I hope you keep posting. And congratulations to you. Onward!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)