Notices

turned down a drink at dinner

Old 12-25-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zjw

turned down a drink at dinner

I got offered a glass of wine with dinner tonight. people who offered have no idea i have issues. they just assume i'm a health nut and thats why i dont drink anymore. But i gotta say I was kinda tempted and i had all kinds of thoughts going through my head and then watching everyone drink wine at dinner. I realized i'm lucky. I have not had ot be in that kind of a setting in a few years! I've had it rather easy.

Made it tho didnt drink. My wife had a couple glasses asked if i minded first. I was like pff i dont care. and really i dont care. But i was kinda getten the itch watching her and everyone else drink. Wine was from a local vineyard and i rambled on about how i used to just love there strawberry wine etc... Clearly the fantasy is alive and well still.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You made a great choice zjw

D
Old 12-25-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You did the smart thing. I know what you mean tho. Every once in a while I get the urge to drink. Fortunately, it is easily dismissed, but you'd think after all the bad memories I have of drinking, why on earth would I get the idea to drink.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was in a similar situation tonight at dinner, and at first I was a little jealous. I wish I could enjoy the red that everyone was saying went perfectly with the meal. I noticed as the night went on and we were on to dessert rt, everyone had stopped drinking and switched to coffee or water. I realized that is the difference between them and me. I would have wanted more wine. I wouldn't have switched to coffee, I'd be trying to drink more. So glad to be going to bed sober tonight. Good job to you as well!
Old 12-25-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through!!
Old 12-25-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Great work, zjw! You pushed through and are stronger for it!

Just the other day I thought, a glass of wine would be good right about now. And then said (honestly out loud to myself); who am I kidding? I'd like at least an entire bottle.

And that's where I left it...it's just a thought.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi zjw, way to go... Glad that you declined!
I guess we have had enough for one lifetime huh?
Old 12-25-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds exactly like my day. Was offered wine from a local vineyard. My weakness. Way to be sober! Go us!
Old 12-25-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

Yeah I spent a lot of time analyze how everyone drank and comparing it to how I did. I could tell a huge difference between them and me. They all drank soooo slow and 1 or 2 glasses 2 didn't even finish there glasses. One didn't drink out of a wine glass I could tell you how many glasses each person had. Yeah I paid way to much attention to that wine and those consuming it now that I think about it.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If I (we) entertain the thought for long
we will end up drinking.

Something important to work on.

MB
Old 12-25-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
If I (we) entertain the thought for long we will end up drinking. Something important to work on. MB
I find this to be true in my short time of sobriety. I have had bouts of "thinking about drinking" and fortunately they have been quickly cast away by the horror of the memories of "who I am" when I drink. I do at times fantasize that I may be able to moderate, but I know that is not a possibility for me, so I keep on track.
Get rid of those desires ASAP!! Great advice Mountainmanbob!!

Intro

Introspectator