Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Did you have liver/heath problems? Do I have a chance to turn it around at 30?

Notices

Did you have liver/heath problems? Do I have a chance to turn it around at 30?

Old 12-24-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I also REALLY did not mean to trigger/annoy anyone who believes in and needs complete sobriety. I just know I was a problem drinker for a time, but I wasn't before and don't feel I have been after. All I know are my feelings about my experience and how I know I don't have the same relationship with alcohol I did in that darker time. If it hadn't been alcohol, it would've been something else I self-medicated with at that time. I realize everyone hasn't had this situation, but not everyone who has abused alcohol in the past is an alcoholic either. There are numerous studies on this. I think most college students and younger people would be alcoholics if that were the case. I'm not trying to make excuses, and I'm not saying this to encourage those who know they can't control it to go back! I just have said my own experiences. I went to therapy and was open about it and talked it all through and figured out that a lot of people can go through periods of heavier drinking due to circumstances and then go back in moderation, but some CANNOT. It's all personal experience. It's ABSOLUTELY better not to drink at all if you have a chance of going back to a place where it controls or hinders your life. Everyone in life has problems, and I think ANYTHING can become an addiction. It's always a struggle for people to learn balance or when it's better to just eliminate something for a better life. I shouldn't have posted in a completely sober forum I suppose, and that's my mistake.

Again, I apologize for posting here if I caused any concern. I should've found a health board I suppose, but just figured you guys might have a better idea about my years of past over indulgence, like I've said. I wish you all the very best! I was just looking for health information. You guys seem to be a great group, though! Thank you!
Old 12-24-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A work in progress

JN, you're what we call "terminally unique." Which, in itself, makes you not unique.

Yes, I'm very familiar with the distinction between "alcohol abuse" and "alcohol dependence"--in my view, you are showing every indication of a person whose alcoholism is progressing.

The first time my then-partner insisted I "do something" about my "drinking problem" I got online and found Moderation Management. Voila! There it was--I didn't have to quit drinking, I just had to learn to MANAGE it.

Per the suggestions there, I went 30 days without a drink. Even accompanied my partner, a professional winemaker, to a tasting event without a drop. Barely broke a sweat, easy-peasy.

So I spent the next four years "moderating" my drinking--counting drinks, having water in between drinks, drinking only on a full stomach--you get the idea. And during those four years I was completely convinced I was "making progress." In reality, though, I never put together more than one or two consecutive days sober in the next four years, and my obsession with drinking hit new levels. The only thing "progressing" during that period of time was my alcoholism.

When I finally did quit, I had become physically dependent to the point where I had to carefully detox. I'm now seven years sober, and I do not for a second take that for granted.

I know you won't hear what I have to say any more than you've heard (and I mean REALLY heard, and taken to heart) from anyone else in this thread. I've known hundreds of alcoholics, probably met thousands, in various stages of drinking/recovery. Based on what I know from personal and observed experience, eventually you will find it difficult/impossible to control your drinking on any kind of regular basis. And it will get worse from there (because it never gets better on its own).

Good luck, and I hope you aren't hurt too badly before you see that drinking is a losing proposition.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

You can't/didn't trigger or annoy anyone here, read around this site - there is more than enough trigger-y posts if we wanted to be triggered.

I think the problem is that you are talking about "fine lines" and how you understand alcohol abuse (or whatever buzzword you want to use) and that you have figured it all out.

Good luck, truly. Almost every person who went on to become alcoholics started where you are (and have been.) No one saw it coming and said, "Yeah, I'm good, I'll become an alcoholic, but I'm okay with that."

This "fine line" you speak about ? It's also Invisible. One day, I was just bopping along, just drinking and everything was pretty much still intact in my life. Then - my body just became dependent. Just like that. No warning. Sudden-like. I've heard enough stories to know that if drinking was once a problem, it will become one again as long as you keep sticking your foot in that pool. You can't let a lion out of its cage a little at a time.

I hope you survive that. We'll be here.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You can't/didn't trigger or annoy anyone here, read around this site - there is more than enough trigger-y posts if we wanted to be triggered.

I think the problem is that you are talking about "fine lines" and how you understand alcohol abuse (or whatever buzzword you want to use) and that you have figured it all out.

Good luck, truly. Almost every person who went on to become alcoholics started where you are (and have been.) No one saw it coming and said, "Yeah, I'm good, I'll become an alcoholic, but I'm okay with that."

This "fine line" you speak about ? It's also Invisible. One day, I was just bopping along, just drinking and everything was pretty much still intact in my life. Then - my body just became dependent. Just like that. No warning. Sudden-like. I've heard enough stories to know that if drinking was once a problem, it will become one again as long as you keep sticking your foot in that pool. You can't let a lion out of its cage a little at a time.

I hope you survive that. We'll be here.
So do you think every person who has drinker heavily in the past or has ever at any point becomes an alcoholic no matter what? That's all I'm saying. And for me to have done all the necessary things i need to do, seek therapy, etc. when none of this was point (explaining to you something irrelevant to my original question), and know my own experience, I have been completely nice and understanding and TOTALLY get what you're saying. But everyone also assumes they know me and my situation exactly too and is diagnosing me when I've seen professionals about it, too. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but yes, there is a thing as alcohol abuse and problem using and then also alcoholism, and I'm not trying to use it as buzzwords. I apologize for posting irrelevant info to my main question, I suppose.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
JN, you're what we call "terminally unique." Which, in itself, makes you not unique.

Yes, I'm very familiar with the distinction between "alcohol abuse" and "alcohol dependence"--in my view, you are showing every indication of a person whose alcoholism is progressing.

The first time my then-partner insisted I "do something" about my "drinking problem" I got online and found Moderation Management. Voila! There it was--I didn't have to quit drinking, I just had to learn to MANAGE it.

Per the suggestions there, I went 30 days without a drink. Even accompanied my partner, a professional winemaker, to a tasting event without a drop. Barely broke a sweat, easy-peasy.

So I spent the next four years "moderating" my drinking--counting drinks, having water in between drinks, drinking only on a full stomach--you get the idea. And during those four years I was completely convinced I was "making progress." In reality, though, I never put together more than one or two consecutive days sober in the next four years, and my obsession with drinking hit new levels. The only thing "progressing" during that period of time was my alcoholism.

When I finally did quit, I had become physically dependent to the point where I had to carefully detox. I'm now seven years sober, and I do not for a second take that for granted.

I know you won't hear what I have to say any more than you've heard (and I mean REALLY heard, and taken to heart) from anyone else in this thread. I've known hundreds of alcoholics, probably met thousands, in various stages of drinking/recovery. Based on what I know from personal and observed experience, eventually you will find it difficult/impossible to control your drinking on any kind of regular basis. And it will get worse from there (because it never gets better on its own).

Good luck, and I hope you aren't hurt too badly before you see that drinking is a losing proposition.
I've made one post on here and not given all my personal information and you're assuming a lot, though. I've very obviously heard and responded to everyone on here. I also never even said my full story, which you seem to know and can diagnose me by? I've went days and week without drinking since that time. I don't feel the same about alcohol as I did. i've had multiple therapists, who actually do know my full background, say they don't feel I'm an alcoholic. If I were, I would be willing to say so! Like, I appreciate and understand everyone's concern, but me saying I was a problem drinker in the past and haven't been since and was curious about health issues than anyone else has had previously due to heavy drinking has nothing to do with my status as am I an alcoholic or am I not, which this entire thread turned into. That's all I mean. I mean, I should've never posted here, I get that now, but I didn't know of a health forum at the time and this made sense. I get maybe people on here have had similar experiences, but I've really done my research and efforts to get help (depression, etc.) and fully disclosed the issue with alcohol with said people. Not everyone who has had a past abusing alcohol turns into an alcoholic. Like i said, I really don't give a crap either way. I just know maybe, MAYBE in the future I might drink on my birthday or NYE and okay? Tons of people do. I don't feel the way about alcohol as I did before, in that specific time period. How is my alcoholism progressing if I don't drink problematically anymore?! Like, you don't even know enough about my current life to say such. That's all I'm trying to say. I absolutely get that everyone in your position would say this too, and I'm not downing sobriety or saying you're wrong, but I also know everyone and every situation is different and I know I've spoken to professionals and myself and know what's good for me in my life right now. I've clearly taken everyone's thoughts to heart and heard everyone out, I was just explaining, even though it had nothing to do with my original post, the questions people had.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

And again, sorry for causing issues here. I just meant, like I've said tons, that yes everyone situation is different. I'm sure you've all been in a similar one to mine. But does that automatically mean I'm am alcoholic? I've not had those issues since that period of my life. Didm't have them before that period. I just chose that instead of food or drugs or something else to numb me at the time. i've went days and weeks without drinking. It's not at ALL the same relationship, and I've seen professionals who agree and know my entire story. That's all I'm saying. I know people who drink more WAY than I do currently, which isn't much, who others wouldn't even consider dependent. I get having a problem with alcohol in the past makes it that much more important for me to be careful and not get in that situation. I don't feel that desire to drink like that at all. It's just a totally different situation now, a new life that I have. I just wish people would understand everyone is different. I never even said I was going to go wild and drink tons again!! That I MIGHT would drink one night or two in the next two months. AGAIN, all of this is totally irrelevant to my original question, and I do get the concern, but that's all I meant. I think everyone here would probably, and for good personal reasons, be against drinking period ever regardless, so I get that.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Your point has been clearly made JN, and i think the topic has run its course.