Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Did you have liver/heath problems? Do I have a chance to turn it around at 30?

Notices

Did you have liver/heath problems? Do I have a chance to turn it around at 30?

Old 12-23-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm in A-Fib due to my partying.
Much higher chance of stroke and death now.

I have known a few that died from liver disease -- it ain't pretty. A long suffering death.

Others just died with a bottle in their hand.

If alcoholic pick one or more of the above.

MB
Old 12-23-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Also though, the liver isn't the only organ that can be damaged. All of them can be.

It's always the best bet to stick with total abstinence as far as the best health possible. That's just how it works.

And really, as far as anxiety and OCD- it sucks but exercise and avoidance of alcohol and caffeine just plain helps.

I would say that at 30, this is a crucial moment for you to take total advantage of your relative youth and just go for total sobriety- you really can't lose.

It seems that there is not a lot that is necessarily written in stone either- as far as drinking and damage, some people drink for 2 years and end up ill and others drink for decades and do not. But it's a gamble you don't have to take. So why take it? Life is hard enough.

Alcohol is not a food group. It serves no real purpose, health wise. Any benefit that is proven to exist by moderate drinking can surely be gained through other means, like walking or relaxation techniques- actually there are scientifically proven benefits of meditation.

All I can say with certainty that avoiding drink like the plague is the only way I can live without my anxiety disorders eating me to bits- it's just one less thing to worry about- and trust me, my anxious mind will find something to worry about anyway!

I just want to impart these things to you from the perspective of one who has been where you are- drank for years alcoholically, then was able to quit for periods of time. But eventually was not able to quit much at all. I wish that I could convey to you that you have the advantage of time and relative youth, and how precious that is.

I hope you will take full advantage of it
I do plan on doing this! And I do agree. I mean, of course it's only real purpose is "fun" or a way to unwind in a different way. I do really realize that I can't go back to drinking in that pattern again, and I don't want to. I want to become healthier overall.

I will agree that I think mostly it's been my anxiety wondering "what if" about my health that has taken its toll on me when I allow myself to obsess over it.

I just would, health permitting of course, still like to enjoy a few drinks on certain occasions. I enjoy wine and some cocktails. But, I also have sense enough to know that if any tests come back with high numbers that I'll just have to give that up totally.

I will do anything though just to hopefully still have good health come my visit in March. Maybe losing some weight before then will help, too. That will be the hardest thing to change for me -- food habits! Same sort of addiction that can happen, honestly. But, I also have been thin in the past, so I think I can get there, despite trying on/off for a while now. I kinda just am tired of it, and reaching 30 it's like... I feel an urgency to get my life together.

I want to try to not go on medication for my OCD/anxiety; I've controlled it on my own in the past, but obviously it all got worse during the depression for years. Now I feel better control of it, but still need to work on that. Maybe exercising will help it. I haven't really stuck to it in a long time or at all for longer than a month or so, lol.

The overdoing of drinking was definitely a gamble I took that I hope I didn't lose in because I couldn't do that to my family. I was just really stupid and young, but I feel guilt nonetheless about that time. I hope I'm okay.

Thank you so much for your kind words, and I hope your holiday is lovely btw!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Yes, I'm in A-Fib due to my partying.
Much higher chance of stroke and death now.

I have known a few that died from liver disease -- it ain't pretty. A long suffering death.

Others just died with a bottle in their hand.

If alcoholic pick one or more of the above.

MB
I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope your health stays stable.

I hope I've made it out okay and not done anything stupid. I certainly don't want a fate like those you mentioned.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
zjw

I have a friend who drinks like you. or it sounds like it. It kinda baffles me he can get depressed and go through phases where he drinks a bottle of crown by noon and is off for another one etc... then just not drink for months on end. He can seemingly pick it up and put it down. He'll also smoke dope too tho so sometimes I wonder if he's just changing up his poisons but again even with that he will put it down for even years at a time.

what is consistent however with this friend is the mindset. He has the mindset of an alcoholic / addict but oddly can seem to put down the poison at times and does actually do better but the underlying mindset is still there and he goes back to it. Sometimes I wonder has he just not fully embraced his addiction yet like i did? Does he wrestle with it more to try and keep it in check where as I did not? I really dont understand it.

BUT while he may address the substance abuse issues at times he never seems to address the mindset issues. He'll address the physical health issues too but again not the mindset so he ends up coming back to it at some point or another.

I legit have anxiety/OCD and it drives me crazy.
Think about that and re-read your post lol. I'm saying this with love its like your overthinking it all to some degree. And i say this because I did the same. I obsessed over it like crazy.

Can you turn it around? lol absolutly. For what its worth I quit at 33 years old I was 275lbs at my worst on my 5 7 frame drank like a fish and smoked over 2 packs a day. I'm now 38 150lbs and I run 50-70 miles a week.

I had high cholesterol at one point but easily solved that with diet. But aside from that I escaped anything else scary short of my own mental BS that is probably just going to be a continual work in progress.

so yeah you can turn it around. One day at a time go easy keep it simple etc... Dont overwhelm yourself for me overwhelming myself caused me to run right back to booze etc..
Old 12-24-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Also have to wonder... if you are certain you are no longer a problem drinker- why post on a forum for those who wish to beat alcoholism?

It almost seems from your responses that you are seeking reassurance from people who are/were long term drinkers regarding the possible outcome of your health- and then maybe using it as a green light to continue drinking.

A lot of people here are working very hard to beat their addictions and drinking habits, to have a shot at a healthy and happy future.

You have the opportunity to do that now. Come join us, we would love to have you
Old 12-24-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Time heals a lot of things
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm also 30 years old and I did some significant damage to my liver because of my alcoholism. I first found out that my liver tests were abnormal when I was 28, and I made the EXACT same promise to myself that you are making now - I would cut back and live a healthier lifestyle. I would only have 1 or 2 drinks at a time and only on special occassions. I wasn't ready to admit that I was an alcoholic, mainly because the idea of never drinking again scared me too much. I justified my theory that I just abused alcohol sometimes, and was not in fact an alcoholic, because although I had periods of heavy drinking, I was also still able to moderate at times and even go long periods without a drink. I could keep alcohol in my apartment without drinking it. Fast forward two years, and my drinking had escalated to full blown alcoholism that I could no longer deny. My liver tests were worse than ever.

On the bright side, after a couple months of sobriety and healthy living my liver tests are now totally normal. I'm very lucky that I was still young enough to reverse the damage, but I've had more than one doctor tell me that I may not be so lucky if I go back to drinking again.

Only you can really know if you're an alcoholic, but please be careful and really try to be honest with yourself. I was shocked that I had done any damage to my liver, despite how much I was drinking. I thought I was too young for that. I was also relatively healthy up until the last year or so (not including the drinking, of course), exercising daily and generally eating well. I would suggest reading some more about the disease, because you may be experiencing some early symptoms of alcohlism without even realizing it. Personally, I found the book "Under the Influence" very helpful.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I drank heavily for 25 years. Got sober. After 10 months had my blood panels checked. Freaked out thinking the worst. Got the results and everything was normal. I'm so thankful for my health. No way in hell will I ever drink again.

So when you get your results back, you'll have to make a decision, too. Is it really worth it?

Just sayin'.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I really do wish you the best, and hope your tests turn out fine. I just see a little of myself in you, and I can't help but be concerned. At your age, I could take alcohol or leave it. It took years for most of us to become chronic abusers. Even though you are not using alcohol at the moment to numb a particularly bad period in your life, you opened a very dangerous door when you did. Most of us thought at one point or another just like you are thinking right now - only drinking occasionally, etc. I am not lecturing you, just saying that I've been there, done that. It didn't work out too well for me over the long haul.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I have a friend who drinks like you. or it sounds like it. It kinda baffles me he can get depressed and go through phases where he drinks a bottle of crown by noon and is off for another one etc... then just not drink for months on end. He can seemingly pick it up and put it down. He'll also smoke dope too tho so sometimes I wonder if he's just changing up his poisons but again even with that he will put it down for even years at a time.

what is consistent however with this friend is the mindset. He has the mindset of an alcoholic / addict but oddly can seem to put down the poison at times and does actually do better but the underlying mindset is still there and he goes back to it. Sometimes I wonder has he just not fully embraced his addiction yet like i did? Does he wrestle with it more to try and keep it in check where as I did not? I really dont understand it.

BUT while he may address the substance abuse issues at times he never seems to address the mindset issues. He'll address the physical health issues too but again not the mindset so he ends up coming back to it at some point or another.

Think about that and re-read your post lol. I'm saying this with love its like your overthinking it all to some degree. And i say this because I did the same. I obsessed over it like crazy.

Can you turn it around? lol absolutly. For what its worth I quit at 33 years old I was 275lbs at my worst on my 5 7 frame drank like a fish and smoked over 2 packs a day. I'm now 38 150lbs and I run 50-70 miles a week.

I had high cholesterol at one point but easily solved that with diet. But aside from that I escaped anything else scary short of my own mental BS that is probably just going to be a continual work in progress.

so yeah you can turn it around. One day at a time go easy keep it simple etc... Dont overwhelm yourself for me overwhelming myself caused me to run right back to booze etc..
Thank you for your post! I really agree with the mental aspect of my anxiety over all of it... it just freaks me out thinking about that one point where it got really bad, and yeah, I think a lot of it is my OCD/anxiety causing that.

Thank you for the encouragement! And awesome for you on shedding the weight and getting in shape! Definitely my goals as well.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerWineGirl View Post
I really do wish you the best, and hope your tests turn out fine. I just see a little of myself in you, and I can't help but be concerned. At your age, I could take alcohol or leave it. It took years for most of us to become chronic abusers. Even though you are not using alcohol at the moment to numb a particularly bad period in your life, you opened a very dangerous door when you did. Most of us thought at one point or another just like you are thinking right now - only drinking occasionally, etc. I am not lecturing you, just saying that I've been there, done that. It didn't work out too well for me over the long haul.
I mean, I feel you. I just mean that i know myself and my situation and I'm not trying to go back to that place. I should've never even mentioned my current status, lol. I haven't even been drinking. I just was saying. I think everyone/situation is different, and I'm not making up blanket terms by calling a period of bad drinking alcohol abuse and alcoholism. There are differences between the two, and I've seen a therapist about it when I was in that place of heavy drinking. Most college students should be in rehab if that were the case. Maybe they should! Hell, idk, I jus know myself and can only speak for my own experiences. I don't feel an urge to drink myself into a stupor anymore. I don't even think of it that way. I'm lucky not to. It's really just not worth it in a lot of ways.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by On The Road View Post
I drank heavily for 25 years. Got sober. After 10 months had my blood panels checked. Freaked out thinking the worst. Got the results and everything was normal. I'm so thankful for my health. No way in hell will I ever drink again.

So when you get your results back, you'll have to make a decision, too. Is it really worth it?

Just sayin'.
I agree! And good for you. I mean absolutely my health is the most important thing. I just wondered about the past years I did overdo it. I'm glad you're okay!
Old 12-24-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SobrieTee View Post
I'm also 30 years old and I did some significant damage to my liver because of my alcoholism. I first found out that my liver tests were abnormal when I was 28, and I made the EXACT same promise to myself that you are making now - I would cut back and live a healthier lifestyle. I would only have 1 or 2 drinks at a time and only on special occassions. I wasn't ready to admit that I was an alcoholic, mainly because the idea of never drinking again scared me too much. I justified my theory that I just abused alcohol sometimes, and was not in fact an alcoholic, because although I had periods of heavy drinking, I was also still able to moderate at times and even go long periods without a drink. I could keep alcohol in my apartment without drinking it. Fast forward two years, and my drinking had escalated to full blown alcoholism that I could no longer deny. My liver tests were worse than ever.

On the bright side, after a couple months of sobriety and healthy living my liver tests are now totally normal. I'm very lucky that I was still young enough to reverse the damage, but I've had more than one doctor tell me that I may not be so lucky if I go back to drinking again.

Only you can really know if you're an alcoholic, but please be careful and really try to be honest with yourself. I was shocked that I had done any damage to my liver, despite how much I was drinking. I thought I was too young for that. I was also relatively healthy up until the last year or so (not including the drinking, of course), exercising daily and generally eating well. I would suggest reading some more about the disease, because you may be experiencing some early symptoms of alcohlism without even realizing it. Personally, I found the book "Under the Influence" very helpful.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you! I wish everyone would read my previous posts because I feel like i'm repeating myself. I'm not scared of not drinking again or anything. I just know my own situation/went to therapy for it/etc. I get what everyone is saying, and I just know my own situation and what I feel like about drinking and that there are people who go through certain periods where they've abused alcohol but it doesn't mean they're alcoholics, and of course I suppose there are fine lines there depending on each individual situation. I just know i do not care to drink like that again.

I'm glad you're healthy and in a good place now! Did you drink for many years?
Old 12-24-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Also have to wonder... if you are certain you are no longer a problem drinker- why post on a forum for those who wish to beat alcoholism?

It almost seems from your responses that you are seeking reassurance from people who are/were long term drinkers regarding the possible outcome of your health- and then maybe using it as a green light to continue drinking.

A lot of people here are working very hard to beat their addictions and drinking habits, to have a shot at a healthy and happy future.

You have the opportunity to do that now. Come join us, we would love to have you
I certainly didn't mean anything by choosing this forum, and it wasn't purposely done as much as this is the one that I noticed bc I never saw many forums about people who had drank a lot previously and didn't know where to ask others about their health experiences with past drinking. That's all it was. I really also don't mean to deter anyone. None of this was related to my original purpose/question lol. Like, I was just giving an accurate history. Maybe I should've just posted on a health forum instead but wasn't sure if people who drank heavily in the past posted on there. Was just trying to get an gauge on past indulgences and health.

I do of course aim for a healthier future! I mean, that's my point of going to the doctor and starting a good diet, etc.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I also want to say happy holidays to everyone!

And again, did not mean to start anything like I did... I simply meant to come and ask about people's health concerning past indulgences. I probably should've posted elsewhere, but this was the forum I found. I apologize to anyone if I triggered anything! I do think you are all doing the right thing, and I too plan on living a pretty much sober life, if not totally! I think anyone is capable of becoming an alcoholic under the right circumstances, and I definitely don't want to go that route. I know myself better now and what I can/can't do.

You guys have been helpful!
Old 12-24-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you! I wish everyone would read my previous posts because I feel like i'm repeating myself. I'm not scared of not drinking again or anything. I just know my own situation/went to therapy for it/etc. I get what everyone is saying, and I just know my own situation and what I feel like about drinking and that there are people who go through certain periods where they've abused alcohol but it doesn't mean they're alcoholics, and of course I suppose there are fine lines there depending on each individual situation. I just know i do not care to drink like that again.
I think what people are trying to share with you is that they once felt the way you feel too....

They're trying to ask the question - and it's a good one - if you think you may have damaged your liver, why on earth would you be planning on drinking again at all?

and no I don't need an answer

It's clear you feel your problems are behind you - like I said - good luck

D
Old 12-24-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think what people are trying to share with you is that they once felt the way you feel too....

They're trying to ask the question - and it's a good one - if you think you may have damaged your liver, why on earth would you be planning on drinking again at all?

and no I don't need an answer

It's clear you feel your problems are behind you - like I said - good luck

D
I understand! I just meant all situations are different. I know a lot of people who aren't alcoholics who drink heavily or have in the past, but it's definitely a fine line.

I definitely wouldn't be drinking if I have liver damage! Of course not! I just meant up until my appointment I could foresee maybe a couple times where I might have a drink, like NYE or my birthday, but that's it. And maybe I won't! I just said that, but I mean I don't know.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the input too, and it's definitely made me even more aware of the fact I need to not go down a bad road in the future and try to be healthier! I just was curious about health problems from overdoing it in the past. I don't overdo it anymore. I think a lot of people can go through those phases, and a lot cannot. IDK, there are a lot of fine lines.

I do appreciate the insights tho!
Old 12-24-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Originally Posted by JN1987 View Post
I do enjoy wine and going out, like a normal young person.
It was this exactly same sentence I kept repeating when I asked myself if I was an alcoholic at the age of 25. It took another 6 years of failed moderation attempts and lots of binges for me to stop.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
It was this exactly same sentence I kept repeating when I asked myself if I was an alcoholic at the age of 25. It took another 6 years of failed moderation attempts and lots of binges for me to stop.
And a ton of people do feel that way who aren't. And who are! No one said that. I really should've never said anything about my experience minus just curious about health issues after a period of drinking heavier, which is all I meant. EVERYONE has a different experience is all I've meant. Most people who drink period have said that sentence, alcoholic or not. It's all in the difference of being able to control and not control it, which is all different and different lines for everyone. Some cannot and do way better completely sober. I know how I am and my feelings about alcohol and why I drank and saw a therapist for my depression that caused the drinking and my personal experiences, that's all I can speak for, same for everyone here.