Notices

I could taste the wine

Old 12-20-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I could taste the wine

A couple of days ago someone asked me if I was a wine drinker. Immediately my brain flooded my mouth with the taste of wine, the taste of alcohol and I started to feel the warmth that comes with it. I drank wine once in a while when I still messed around with different types of alcohol. Toward the end of my drinking I was fixated on whiskey either with coke or mountain dew. I refused to allow myself to remember what it tasted like. I refused to allow myself to remember the feeling of using. I must have done a pretty good job of it too because I can't remember even if I try, the bridge is out to that pathway. Yeah me! Then, with one question the taste of wine comes flooding back and the bridge is open again. WTF! I cut it off before it got to the point of romancing it again.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. It is going to happen I get a blindside going once in a while.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Yep. There will be blindsides. That's pretty much a guarantee from all I've heard.

Had a strange situation myself not too long ago. I was drinking coffee one morning, same blend I always drink, and after a sip I suddenly caught the taste of vodka. I don't know why. It was unsettling to say the least. All I do in such situations is repeat my mantra: brains be crazy, especially the alcoholic's.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

It can sneak up on you. I'm glad you're not giving any heed to the big lie.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Urges happen...it's the response that counts silentrun

D
Old 12-20-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job being self aware SilentRun
Old 12-21-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh man, if I see a whiskey or beer commercial on tv I can actually taste it.
It makes me shudder, literally.
I don't romanticize over it, it makes me want to puke. And it's been almost five years since I've drank alcohol.

It's actually beneficial because it brings back a flood of bad memories.
As much as I drank, I don't think I'll ever forget that vesper taste. Maybe my subconscious doesn't want me to, so I never go back to the dark, dark places I've been
Old 12-21-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

I ask self: Is it REALLY that it so tasty and warm on palette and that why I want it, i.e., if I could buy non-alcoholic wine or whiskey that taste just the same, and even has some clever chemical that give it warm feel, would I drink that? No. Not at all. I maybe try non-alcoholic wine once in entire life and it not half bad, but NO interest. Cuz really, that not what I after, is it?

PS. SR! And Bunny!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Like Cow said the taste aint what I was after , but I do remember , if they made an NA version of Pappy Van Winkle I'd try it as much as a drunk I was I did enjoy taste of bourbon especially paired with cigars. But that was really a very small reason to drink, let alone get plastered , chasing oblivion was the thing and all the hell it brought.
I have yet to find a decent bourbon flavored vape/ejuice , still looking.
I had a case of the blindsides earlier this fall. Went to a wedding , the ceremony was outside in the Texas sun, immediately following the "i Do"s the guests were ushered into the venue. Right inside the doors were servers with trays full of adult beverages , literally smack in the face. I was not bothered by it being my first wedding after quitting, other than wondering how uncomfortable it could be , if at all. And it wasn't worth any worry , but boy did that unexpected tray of drinks in the face throw me for a second, I may have even said "wtf?! out loud a little bit. And I remember catching myself sniffing my colas for the rest of the night , a good practice but not one I remember putting in place , lol, finally a good defense mechanism kicking in by itself
Old 12-21-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you headed that one off silentrun.
I too miss the taste.
And the packaging just gets prettier and prettier, with clever names designed to attract of course.
I try and remind myself it's all the same... temporary pleasure etc.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thank you for the comments everyone. Today someone tried to give me a bottle of bourbon...nothing. I actually had a conversation with the guy after I told him I didn't drink alcohol. He thought it was great that I quit drinking. I never did tell him it was because I can't stop once I start. He told me he was an alcoholic and he had quit once for 3 years. Then someone talked him into trying a sip of a peach wine cooler and the next day he drank beer and the day after that he was drinking spirits again. He hasn't been able to quit again. He is such a sweet happy guy and I felt bad for him because I know what is behind that mask.

A couple of years ago that wine incident would have me hyperventilating with a panic thinking I'll never be free. I am free and thoughts like that are just a good reason to review why I don't drink anymore.

Hi Cowzer! Sleepie, it had long stopped being fun for me. The only fun thing about it was thinking about drinking when I got home, buying the booze and fixing the drink. Once I start drinking it starts a fire in me and I crave more even as I am taking a drink. I honestly drank because I felt compelled to, not because it was so great. It didn't occur to me to just up and quit.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I accidentally had a sip of champagne. I was drinking sparling water out of a champagne glass at a holiday party and it got mixed up with a friend of mines.

It was disgusting. I was so thoroughly grossed out by the flavor I couldn't believe I used to put away multiple bottles of this crap. And this was some "holy grail" of champagne. I hated the way I felt almost immediately.

Over. Rated.