Notices

Blown It!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blown It!

Well guys ,I was so proud of myself. I stopped drinking and smoking at the end of October and went through the entirety of November without a drop of alcohol or one ciggy. My bank account is healthy and I was so happy. Then yesterday ( sunday) at work I suddenly started thinking about how much I missed all the casual drinking "friends" in the pub . So for some stupid stupid reason I bought myself some tobacco and decided I was going to hit the bars when finished my shift. It was terrible , I was stood at the bars like a complete loner not even enjoying the feeling the booze was giving me and feeling ill because after a month without the cigs were making me feel sick. I called it quits after about 3 hours and went home , feeling groggy and so ANGRY at myself, chucking the almost full pack of tobacco in the bin along the way. Have woken up this morning feeling upset and miserable , I was doing so well I am going to start again from today though , but man do I feel crappy.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Calvin - at least now you can be sure you're not missing anything?

D
Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah , I know I havent been here in a while. Me thinking I was doing so well......
Old 12-06-2015, 11:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well your bk now that's the important good bit

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 12-07-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Calvin, glad you decided to stick with staying sober. As others have mentioned, maybe you should add to your sober plan? Even spending a few minutes a day here on SR is a good start, you could join the Class of November thread over in newcomers.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Calvin, don't beat yourself too much. You are healthier as a result of your few weeks off and now you have learned a valuable lesson to go with it. Don't forget the lesson and climb back on.....this time for good.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're back, thanks for the post. The thought of drinking and smoking just made me queasy in reading this - Thanks!

You can get right back up change what went wrong - sobriety is there for us all!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That was a good lesson learned the easy way. At least you didn't "catch a wave" and binge your way through a couple of weeks or so and wake up broke, hungover, and totally addicted to nicotine again. In my experience, the first month is the hardest and after that it gets easier fast. Dust yourself off and get back in the saddle. You can do this!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yesterday was filled with bad decisions, but it sounds like you want to get back on the wagon today. Nothing you can do about yesterday, just try and move on.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys! When I went out , I was expecting all the people who I meet in the pubs to be all like " wow where have you been" and no one seemed to give a crap. Just amazing what weird fantasies the mind will bring up to make drinking seem like a good idea. Barely anybody spoke to me all night! To be honest Im looking forward to my sober evenings with my books and comics and video games. Again , so glad I found this site.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

You still have that sober time Calvin & right back to start again! Don't beat yourself up & you will have a jump start to a sober 2016!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you fell, Calvin, but glad that you have recommitted to sobriety.

Maybe consider adding something to your sober program/plan - reading up on alcoholism, journaling, exercising, looking into AA or AVRT.

Glad that you are back with us.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by calvin86 View Post
Thanks for the support guys! When I went out , I was expecting all the people who I meet in the pubs to be all like " wow where have you been" and no one seemed to give a crap. Just amazing what weird fantasies the mind will bring up to make drinking seem like a good idea. Barely anybody spoke to me all night! To be honest Im looking forward to my sober evenings with my books and comics and video games. Again , so glad I found this site.
Interesting observation - very true! We think we'll be soooo very missed. I figured two or three liquor stores and a few pubs would close down or send out a search party.

They seem to be doing just fine without me. I am probably refereed to on occasion as ole what's his name!? Love It!

This speed bump perhaps saved your life
Old 12-07-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it back.

You got complacent. It's happened to a lot of us. I once was sober for 5 1/2 years and decided it would be ok for me to have just 1 beer in a restaurant with my steak dinner. That quickly lead to a year of hell while I battled to stay sober more than a couple of weeks at a time.

Now I've got several years of sobriety in again. And I pay attention everyday, so that I don't get complacent and think I'm somehow cured.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Reading all your replies , has made me think that even though I was doing so well with being sober I still should have kept visiting the site just to keep myself on track. Another lesson learned. Ah well Day 2 is here. Just having a cup of tea before work , and feeling great!
Old 12-08-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good to see you Calvin