Notices

Never say never

Old 12-03-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never say never

When I first joined this forum around 6 weeks ago I knew that I had a "problem with alcohol". A few weeks later having thrown myself gleefully in to the "OK lets see how many days I can hold out" thing and subsequently failing 5 times in 2weeks I faced up to the fact I am an out and out alcoholic. And boy did I panic.

I was one of those people who rejected systematically the idea of rehab; too expensive, who will look after my kids, too much time off work, too much stigma attached to it; I don't want to be locked up with a bunch of junkies, I don't need it I can do it myself etc etc etc

Then in a panic after a major weekend binge I asked my Dr to find me a short term in house programme. I was hospitalised 3 days later. I am now back home and on day 27 sober, optimistic and I feel amazing.

I know that 1 month in rehab 'is nothing" compared to some programmes. But it gave me what I needed.. a kick start, advice, guidance, therapy, coping stratégies, a bloody good rest in a totally stress free environment and a new network of amazing strong people. I know I now need to put in the hard work for the hours, days, weeks, months, years ahead but I feel that I have been given the cards. They are in my hands and I am going to use them intelligently.

I am here with a cup of cocoa a good book and my dog. Children tucked up in bed. Sounds so clichéd but it feels so good. So does the fact that I will Wake up day 28 tomorrow without a headache.

So if you are like me one of those people that rejects rehab outright for whatever reason. Think again. There is no price on getting your health and life back on track.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-03-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If time and money are a concern to someone considering quitting drinking, I suggest a few days at a no-cost detox program. They are available in many communities.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I could never use the tools outside of rehab to stay sober. It was easy in a controlled environment, but hard to apply when out in the real world.. Good luck and continued success!!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's great to hear Fabat, thanks for sharing and congratulations on your success!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Awesome job, congratulations!
Sounds like the perfect evening, great job creating it, enjoy it
You Deserve it!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What wonderful news, Fab. We just knew you could.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great!

I hope your rehab program gave you some aftercare recommendtions and contacts when you were discharged. It would be good to have those in your "toolbox" because one day in the future "life" will dump a bunch of crap on you.

It's inevitable, and it's good to be prepared when that does happen.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

good job. yeah i was never the type for rehab i didnt even go to aa till i was sober a year why? i wasnt an alcholic! thats why!! then i signed up here at a year and was like hrmmm maybe i have a slight issue but i'm not an alcholic people here talked me into going to aa i went uttered thos words "im an alcoholic" and at that point i was like *sigh* yep its true.

I guesss i had so much pride or so much denial.

stories like yours are encouraging. I pray to god that god forbid i ever relapse i can find my way back to AA or rehab and not be so ashamed to do so. hopefully it'll never happen.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You just made my day Fabat! I was feeling completely depressed reading some of the other heavy threads today. I still remember your earlier posts, and I'm glad you're still on track. Your children and dog are lucky to have you back!
Old 12-03-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wonderful post, Fab!
Old 12-05-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to hear Fab - keep doing the work (complacency is dangerous).
Old 12-06-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Nice post fab.

Rehab got me sober but couldn't keep me sober. I didn't respond to the follow up and wouldn't follow their suggestions.

A year later AA got me sober and has kept me sober. By then I was willing to do anything.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

oops

Last edited by Gottalife; 12-06-2015 at 01:40 AM. Reason: accidental double up.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Such a good news story Fab, and thanks for sharing.