Notices

First AA meeting take away

Old 11-30-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Introspectator

First AA meeting take away

Well I'm happy to say that this is day 16! Real happy. I love being sober, and so relieved that I seriously want it this time around.
I went to my first AA meeting tonight, that is, first in 15-20 years. Back then I went like twice and ran from there as fast as I could. Here is my take away from tonight. In the past, when it was my turn to introduce myself and say "I am an alcoholic" it was more emotional. It seems that I was simply saying it because I was supposed to. And in reflection i know that, in my mind I was hearing myself say something like " yeah whatever, I'm an alcoholic if that is what I have to say," and at the same time thinking that "I just need to get a better handle on this." Well, tonight when it was my turn I said "I am an alcoholic" it was straight up out of an understanding that YES I AM, and the denial is over. I believe it finally, and this is perhaps why I have stayed on track thus far. I am an alcoholic. I am 1 drink away from disaster, and I want nothing to do with alcohol providing another disaster in my life, whatever that disaster may manifest itself as. Thankful for this SR group! Thank you all!
Introspectator
Old 11-30-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My voice wavered the first couple of times I said that. I think secretly I think I'm not an alcoholic even though all the evidence suggests otherwise. Keep going ��
Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great stuff Introspectator

D
Old 11-30-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To a "normie" the significance of saying that truth at the beginning of each meeting is probably lost. I need that reminder, and as simple as that sentence is, until I accepted it as truth I was unable to do anything about that truth and move forward.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good on ya for reaching out for support, Introspectator!
Old 11-30-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introspectator View Post
Well I'm happy to say that this is day 16! Real happy. I love being sober, and so relieved that I seriously want it this time around. I went to my first AA meeting tonight, that is, first in 15-20 years. Back then I went like twice and ran from there as fast as I could. Here is my take away from tonight. In the past, when it was my turn to introduce myself and say "I am an alcoholic" it was more emotional. It seems that I was simply saying it because I was supposed to. And in reflection i know that, in my mind I was hearing myself say something like " yeah whatever, I'm an alcoholic if that is what I have to say," and at the same time thinking that "I just need to get a better handle on this." Well, tonight when it was my turn I said "I am an alcoholic" it was straight up out of an understanding that YES I AM, and the denial is over. I believe it finally, and this is perhaps why I have stayed on track thus far. I am an alcoholic. I am 1 drink away from disaster, and I want nothing to do with alcohol providing another disaster in my life, whatever that disaster may manifest itself as. Thankful for this SR group! Thank you all! Introspectator
That's great Introspectator! Acceptance is vital to sobriety. You're doing great!
Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats
Old 12-02-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are here.

Even when I was drinking, I knew I was an alcoholic.

I used to think that if I wasn't an alcoholic, I would hate to see what I had to do to be one.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear things are going well. Keep up the good work.