Notices
View Poll Results: Which Camp Are You In ?
We all have the same amount of sober time if we have today sober.
10.58%
If you don't think that time sober means anything, then try getting some.
46.15%
I'm in both camps.
43.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Which Camp Are You In ?

Old 11-27-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Which Camp Are You In ?

Oh yes, I have heard this many, many times in AA over the years.
We all only have today -- One Day At A Time.
We all have the same amount of time if we have today sober.

Once when I didn't have much sober time I was in an AA meeting and an Old Timer shared, "if you don't think time sober means anything then try getting some !"

Man did that statement give me one big resentment.
Maybe it even kept me sober a few more days ?

But, today his remark made seems to make much sense to me.

I would put myself in both camps -- for both make sense to me.

Mountainman
Old 11-27-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sobriety plants the seed for recovery........Today, I am glad I have the former and continue the beautiful journey on the latter with ya'll!!!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

what ive learned over the time is more important than the time itself.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think one day at a time is a great strategy very early on, but very quickly for me it turned to one week, one month, the next 2 months, etc., as the day to day thing got easier. I personally think it's dangerous to fixate too much on one day at a time, because the message is you're a pawn to circumstances and could relapse at any time - but you're not, and you won't if you don't want to, you're in charge of your own life. It can also leave the newly-sober folks with the (mistaken) impression that it will always be as hard as it is in early recovery, but of course it gets easier and easier over time. That is a really important message, it gets easier and easier over time.

So to me it depends where you are on the recovery path.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bob, yer always one with the tough questions. The obvious answer is both. The only time any of us have is Now....but string a few or more of well-lived days together and one gains wisdom....the clincher is we still have to Do now like it was yesterday...which is gone forever.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The best I ever heard anywhere by far was in a meeting in E. tennessee (central group in Johnson City--my home group for 8 yrs) by a guy named Dave. "If I have one foot in yesterday and the other in tomorrow, I'm gonna pea all over today" . I thought it was so hokey when I first heard it but repeated exposure (kept going back) gave me some insight. I now repeat it often. (just did
Old 11-27-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm stronger in my sobriety today --

Originally Posted by zombob View Post

"If I have one foot in yesterday and the other in tomorrow, I'm gonna pea all over today" .
If I have one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow
I'm going to poop all over today.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++

"if you don't think time sober means anything then try getting some !"

It makes sense because for sure I'm stronger in my sobriety today than I was when only one day sober or 30 days sober or even one year sober.

So does a person with one day of sobriety have the same amount of sober time as one with 5 years ?
Don't think so -- let us not fool ourselves yet again.

MB
Old 11-27-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I voted both
Old 11-27-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I think one day at a time is a great strategy very early on, but very quickly for me it turned to one week, one month, the next 2 months, etc., as the day to day thing got easier. I personally think it's dangerous to fixate too much on one day at a time, because the message is you're a pawn to circumstances and could relapse at any time - but you're not, and you won't if you don't want to, you're in charge of your own life. It can also leave the newly-sober folks with the (mistaken) impression that it will always be as hard as it is in early recovery, but of course it gets easier and easier over time. That is a really important message, it gets easier and easier over time.

I don't find danger and don't fixate on one day at a time - simply mindful and respectful = humbled - at the potential to become a denizen of King Alcohol again. I find one day at a time very healthy.

To each his own, but for me I never want to forget what it felt like to be 24 hours away from my last drink.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

"To Thy Own Self Be True"
Old 11-27-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here's the rub.

No matter which one you choose, someone will argue the other.

I'm accountable to no one but my HigherPower/God/Allah/Jesus/Doorknob/Nature/Buddha/Mohammed/HigherSelf/FlyingSpaghettiMonster.

Whatever anyone else thinks is their business.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

sober time has simply allowed me to get my thoughts re-assembled and yeah its taken this long to get to this point and its gonna probably take a lot longer till i say i'm cured if that ever happens.

one of those the journey is more important then the destination kinda things.

That being said I could learn something from someone whos not sober at all and someone who's got decades of sobriety. Sober time doesnt always mean much either in terms of how beneficial you may be to someone else.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Che

Time being the same is just not true. The more time you have had to form healthier, positive habits and the longer ago it has been since you fed unhealthy habits, the less powerful those unhealthy habits are and the more powerful the healthy habits are. The brain changes.

On a social level, you don't need to look down on people who have less time or anything like that, or feel excessively proud. Just appreciate that it becomes easier to do the right thing the more you do it, harder to do the wrong thing the less you do it. Of course the reverse is true, and is why you got into the hole you did.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Yeah, obviously time matters. If it didn't, then one guy serving a 20 year sentence for a crime would be just as free on day one as another guy who just finished his 20 year sentence today. That analogy may be a stretch, but alcoholism certainly does feel like a prison! I don't think there need be too much emphasis put on sober time because it can be discouraging and intimidating to someone very early in sobriety. But I do know that the more time I accumulate, the more confident I feel that I really can do this and make it last.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The one day at a time concept really resonated with me when I joined AA

My first meeting the chairperson said he had ten years and that was something I couldn`t fathom. In addition I didn`t trust myself not to drink again but I could see myself not drinking just for today. No need to put pressure on myself.

What time in AA has given me is the experience to go through hardships without picking up a drink. A death, financial wreckage and job insecurity.

Once when I didn't have much sober time I was in an AA meeting and an Old Timer shared, "if you don't think time sober means anything then try getting some !"

Imo, that`s an ego trip and not something very helpful.

I`ve got over 20 years of continuous sobriety and can easily slap that card down but I rarely do.

For me it is more important what I do or say outside the rooms of AA than the other way around. Showing off in meeting is something I try not to do.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post

I'm on day 20 and one day at a time helps me with the fear that I can never handle it all. I'm sure it won't be important in a few months, but right now it reminds me not to worry about Christmas parties or next year, just focus on getting through today!

KIR
Old 11-27-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's important for those new to AA to see and hear from those with time to show it can be done .

However in aa status is often accorded those with the most time and I'm not sure if that's always a good thing

I didnt pick up today. You didn't either. It's all good.

Where my sober time might help others is by telling those who ask what I did early on in sobriety.

Or what I did during times of adversity and not pick up

r.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I didn't get sober start the process of recovery to not grow. Were I never to get better than I was after my first day of sobriety then I can promise, I wouldn't have stacked up over 8 years of "one day at a time." The reason I keep going is NOT so I can stand pat....where I am.....and not continue to get better.

That said, there are certainly days, weeks, even months and quarters where I've been technically...physically....sober yet a quick glimpse into how I'm living would probably show I'm not all that much better now than I was on day 2.

Of course time matters......kinda.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Like most I`m proud of my sobriety time (regret giving away my 20 year chip.) What time in sobriety has given me is a reservoir of experiences in which I didn`t feel compelled to drink which in turn allows me to grow.

The one day at a time philosophy allows me not to worry or think about drinking tomorrow. All I`m saying is I`m not drinking today. I find a lot of comfort in that especially since I used to break such a promise all the time before joining AA.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm glad that I heard the Old Timer say,
"If you don't think that time sober means anything, then try getting some."
Because man, that wissed me off.
But, things said such as that make me think.
And it was something said, that I have never forgotten even after many years.
And, I did go out and get me some.
MB