Notices

Recovery outwith AA

Old 11-26-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
OK then what do your good friends in AA that will tell it to you straight have to say?
They tell me to do what's right for me - which is pretty sound advice :-)
Old 11-26-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have changed meetings a few times over the years.

Meetings are a part of my sobriety, along with working the steps and developing and maintaining a relationship with God - both of which are more important than meets.

I still go, though, because AA has been awfully good for me for the last 27 years and I want to continue the life that God and AA have given me.

Stick around and let us know what and how you do.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SUNNYDEE View Post
They tell me to do what's right for me - which is pretty sound advice :-)
There it is.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm LOVING the title, if anyone actually takes a gander at it...LOL.

At any rate, good for you on recovering outwith AA.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SUNNYDEE View Post
Hi

I did try to share at meetings but it's the usual pontificating and broadbrushing reply 'you are not spiritually well, you must be doing something wrong, what haven't you been honest about, there must be something you are not doing, you don't have a HP etc etc' Please don't think I'm being condescending - I don't mean to be... I have a strong faith, I enjoy being sober, I embrace the 12steps as much as I can... I just don't like going to meetings.... anyone else feel like this?
I know what you mean. When I am being compassionate, I think that everyone is just so desperate that they have to find fault in others to convince themselves that they are "safe." But it is hard to be compassionate when a bunch are ganging up on you or some other person.

If it is time for you to find some other avenue for growth, then you have to do it. From my experience I recommend that you do not cut the cord until you found some other group, church, therapist, or whatever to help you move on.

But sometimes you have to move forward or else you start going backward.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Why you get out of your recovery exactly what you put into it me either or just sober or we work the program if we take the steps as they are laid out in the big book we recover if we don't we simply are sober not drunk it's a thinking problem not a drinking problem if we don't face and get rid of the things in ourselves which are blocking us we will always be blocked we will still act and react we will still treat others the same way we always did except this time we're not drinking once we have recovered we go to meetings because we want to to help the suffering alcoholic young or old new or have some time in to be helpful to carry the message not the mess I don't understand why so many of us complicate this when you quit fighting it you will understand people say AA doesn't work it's a fellowship a group of people gathered together with a common problem searching for solution of course it doesn't work we have to work AA we work the program attend meetings to help other people not die that's what works but if we don't put in the effort just sit there go to meetings to talk about the problem we are not going to get better Alcoholics Anonymous works just fine we will get exactly out of our recovery what we put into it only if we start working a program of recovery too many people are simply sober which means not drunk miserable full of fear and point the finger that everything doesn't work and everybody is always wrong that's not fair we die every single day it's our job to recover and help other people stay alive
Old 11-27-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

As far as I know, every recovery program requires a person to make changes in their lives besides just not drinking. Sure, there are people that believe that all they have to do is quit drinking, and everything will be fine. Maybe some people can pull that off and have a great life, but IMO, most people need to make other changes to insure that they remain sober over the longhaul and you don't need the 12 steps to do this. I think any program that offers guidance and support to help the alcoholic make the necessary changes would achieve the same thing, as long as the person is willing to be active in their recovery and do what needs to be done. John