Notices

Hearing music in my head

Old 11-04-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I heard music and people calling my name for help. Scary stuff.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've heard the music as well when something was making noise, like the furnace running. I also heard people talking, but no one was there. I also thought I heard my mother call my name in the middle of the night. It was very scary to hear the voices talking. It felt like I was losing my mind. This lasted one night and one day.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I had bubble hallucinations on day 2. For a week I heard reggae music coming from the fan ( I sleep with a fan on) ....if I turned it off, I could hear faint fairground music coming through the wall, even though noone lives next to me.

Stick with it, it does fade, you're not going mad
Old 11-07-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I used to hear auditory hallucinations whenever I would try to detox myself.

I didn't experience that when i checked into the treatment and let the professionals get me detoxed and treated (for 35 days).
Old 11-07-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Music is life. Even approaching 40 years without a drink or a drug, there is always a tune playing in my mind, unless its coming out of a speaker.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

Happening to me right now.

For me, it's symptomatic of anxiety and/or heightened brain activity so IMHO, it could be withdrawal-related. So many of us do suffer from anxiety-related complications, hence the drinking.

Even in my few years of sobriety that sometimes happened -as you say - like a broke record of a snippet of a song. Again, I have serious anxiety and was even diagnosed with bi-polarism (I am seeking a second opinion). So at the risk of jumping to conclusions, perhaps consider that an agitator to your sobriety is being a naturally anxious person?

The discoveries we make about ourselves, even in extra early recovery has the potential to illuminate so many other unexplored nooks and crannies of who and how we are. Having said that, who we are in early recovery often looks like a totally different person after years of sobriety.

If it bothers you, sometimes having a program on in the background or soundscapes can be relieving.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I heard what is referred to as the 'phantom radio'. Usually when trying to sleep, if I had a fan on, it would sound like a talk show, but not loud enough to actually here. Very creepy.
Exact same for me. Terrifying,
Old 11-14-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Need27 View Post
I'm on around day 6 of being sober and every now and again especially when it's quiet I hear music in my head. Songs I know but they play out like a broken record. Is this a withdrawl symptom or the librium?
Is it just "in your head" or does it sound like it's actually playing?

If it's just in your head, I've had that throughout my life. Sometimes I hear a riff that's new and compose a song in my head based on the riff. Lyrics are usually angry and it's a good way to work through the rage. This did not decrease sobriety, which is good, because I'd miss it. I'm a huge music person, and attend a lot of live music events.

When I was deep into acute Klonopin/alcohol withdrawal about 10 years ago it sounded like an actual horn section was following me around...and this was at work! VERY different experience, and very unsettling. It went with the total depersonalization/derealization that I experienced in benzo withdrawal. It faded within 2 weeks.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Music playing on my fan

Originally Posted by Need27 View Post
I'm on around day 6 of being sober and every now and again especially when it's quiet I hear music in my head. Songs I know but they play out like a broken record. Is this a withdrawl symptom or the librium?
It’s craziest thing. My fan is on and I’m hearing music being played through it. And it’s on loop. When I turn the fan off the music stops.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It’s the fat lady singing to the addiction.
It’s time is up.
Take care Need
Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tharris

are you going through withdrawal at the moment?

D
Old 05-23-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey! Going to reopen this one.

Currently on day 5 of sobriety and I'm experiencing this. I've come off of alcohol many times and it's never happened.

I have a program on low volume and the fan on, trying to fall asleep and all I'm hearing is a very low music which I can only desceibe as the start up music to classic Disney movies... it's so so strange.

I'm also having a visual hallucination. I have another doorway in my room and I'm convinced someone keep peeking around the corner at me.

Freaked out, but also pleased that this seems to be quite a regular occurrence.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always recommend seeing a Dr when hallucinations start.
Be safe and put your mind at ease.

D
Old 05-26-2019, 12:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I heard a song in my head for roughly four years and I didn't know what it was. Turns out it was "Achey, Breakie Heart".
Old 05-27-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I've had these in the past. The first time I had them it Dancing With The Moonlit Knight by Genesis, I was just convinced someone was playing it very loudly.

Then it turned into Dire Straits - Money for Nothing.

The most recent time, and hopefully the very last, about a year ago it was Game Show themes.

I've had visual hallucinations as well. I was spending my days lying in bed feeling ill and I was convinced someone was writing on my bedroom ceiling from outside, using some sort of laser pointer.

I looked out of the window and even saw someone doing it.

I ended up in hospital that day and I was convinced the nurses were insulting me. I even tried to make a dash for it to go to the police, got stopped by security.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:35 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I wish it were Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, it's usually a bad pop song that I can't stand.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I wish it were Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, it's usually a bad pop song that I can't stand.
I'd just been to see a Genesis tribute a few days beforehand, I'm guessing it's because of that.

The first time I ever had an audio hallucination was 2012 and it was the chorus to Moves Like Jagger.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm currently hearing both the faint and almost, but not quite, recognizable music as well as the newscast/talk show sounds. Sometimes at the same time as though a TV and a radio were playing at once. It only occurs when I'm trying to sleep and a fan is on.

Call me crazy, but its not unpleasant. Sometimes the songs get stuck in my head for awhile.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SDH73 View Post
I deal with that sometimes. It's definitely worse the closer I am to my last drink. I remember one night years ago I couldn't sleep because Britney Spears' "Toxic" was looping in my head. I'd only heard the song in passing and didn't know the lyrics or even the basic song structure but it just kept going and going. I'd fall asleep for a little bit and wake up to that song still on repeat in my head. Torturous.

Typically for me it gets quieter in my head the longer I stay sober. Ear worms do still hit, though.
I get the "Toxic" ear worm, too! It's terrible!!!! I hope I don't get it tonight now because I read your post! LOL
Old 06-24-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Music repeating in my head is a common thing I experience when my anxiety or depression is at a heightened state. I'm a big music fan and a hobbiest musician, so maybe it's not all that strange. Yeah, I'm sure I had a bit of it too when I was quitting alcohol.