Notices

Hearing music in my head

Old 11-22-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hearing music in my head

I'm on around day 6 of being sober and every now and again especially when it's quiet I hear music in my head. Songs I know but they play out like a broken record. Is this a withdrawl symptom or the librium?
Old 11-22-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A little of both probably? I experienced withdrawal with librium twice, after drinking very heavily for sustained periods & heard music & voices & saw things that were not there. This was entirely attributable to alcohol withdrawal & within a week, the worst of the withdrawal was over. Then it was all about the staying stopped :-)

Perhaps see your doctor if you're concerned?

Wish you well
Old 11-22-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know in your case, but I remember my final and worst withdrawal (no meds, just toughed it out) I was getting audio hallucinations, and I also heard faint music when I was laying in bed trying and failing to get some sleep. The wind turned into music, the fan I had running to cool down was music, everything was faint music. It did go away, but not until I was finally able to sleep with help from trazodone. I was also getting subtle visual hallucinations, I didn't see stuff that wasn't there, but the carpet and walls were breathing and if I looked at a spot on the ground it appeared to move. Scary, felt like an acid trip from my youth.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I deal with that sometimes. It's definitely worse the closer I am to my last drink. I remember one night years ago I couldn't sleep because Britney Spears' "Toxic" was looping in my head. I'd only heard the song in passing and didn't know the lyrics or even the basic song structure but it just kept going and going. I'd fall asleep for a little bit and wake up to that song still on repeat in my head. Torturous.

Typically for me it gets quieter in my head the longer I stay sober. Ear worms do still hit, though.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had some auditory hallucinations during alcohol withdrawal too. Whenever I had a fan or an air conditioner running, I would hear what sounded like a radio playing at a volume just loud enough to be noticeable but too faint to make out the details. It was quite realistic -- at times I could almost tell what song it was playing

Of course no one can say for sure except maybe your doctor, but I would bet it's much more likely to be related to alcohol withdrawal than Librium use. I gather it's not terribly uncommon and it should probably go away on its own within a few more days. If it doesn't, seek professional advice.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took the OP to mean that songs are looping in his/her head. If it seems that you're actually hearing music externally then that's different. I've had audio hallucinations during withdrawal but it usually comes from hearing something in other sounds. Like Andante said, the AC was a culprit. I'd hear voices coming from it. I'd hear people saying my name in a crowd. That kind of stuff. But again, not sure that's what you meant.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I heard what is referred to as the 'phantom radio'. Usually when trying to sleep, if I had a fan on, it would sound like a talk show, but not loud enough to actually here. Very creepy.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

If you backpack and spends nights in the woods, you often experience the phenomena of the "talking creek". Small creeks and their burblings sound exactly like voices. Can be unnerving.

Our brains try to make sense of anything we hear. It's self-preservation.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi need, for about 10 days I was hearing faint music on and of,.
It sounded soft and like it was coming from a radio somewhere...

It sounded so real, I wasn't sure completely convinced that it was a hallucination
and would search the house looking for the source...

...."Where is that music coming from?"...
Old 11-23-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't heard music. On day two, during the early hours of the morning, I "heard" for an instant a very loud electronic sound like "Bwwwwamp!" when coming out sleep. I shrugged it off as maybe the end of a dream. It could have been that, though I was largely awake, so maybe it was an audio hallucination.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need27 View Post
I'm on around day 6 of being sober and every now and again especially when it's quiet I hear music in my head. Songs I know but they play out like a broken record. Is this a withdrawl symptom or the librium?
When I was binge drinking, I had this same thing for the first day or two after I quit. It was annoying as hell. YET ANOTHER bad consequence of alcohol.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hate to admit this, but my worst auditory hallucinations came well over 20 years ago after a three and half day "illicit drug" binge/party. I was showering and heard AM radio for hours and hours. Truly hell.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I meditated once when I was drunk and the background music stayed playing in my head for 4 days afterwards.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ant73

Hi All , I know this is an old post but I've got this at the mo going on . Im on day 3 and laid in bed trying to sleep . A Whitney Houston song sets off but it's only playing the first few bars and repeating.

I look at the door handles and they seem to start curling up slowly and back. Christ if I told any of my family this they'd have me looked up on the funny farm !!
.How long can this go on for going by your own experience (for any of you that are still here on the forum )??
Thanks

Antonio
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm on just day 5 sober and this is the first day I haven't heard the music....YET!
I'm on no medication and starting to feel better, still feel all over the place but a little better, I really think it's just a normal withdrawal symptom.

I heard music playing and was also convinced I could hear my mum on the phone whispering to someone in the night when she stayed on Friday, I went downstairs and she was fast asleep. I really thought I was loosing my mind but after hearing so many other people experiencing the same I'm relaxed now that its all part of it.

I also had my whole bedroom flashing, I thought a truck with lights on must be outside but there was nothing, I was really scared to be honest, tried to make it stop by having the light on then back off but it wouldn't go, awful what the alcohol does to our bodies and brain...scary stuff but I'm keeping the faith that it passes, I've not had that since and no music as yet lol.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A year ago I didn't know what delirium tremens was when it hit me with its strongest punch. I heard the most evil sounding voice call my name in the morning while eating breakfast. I could see a figure in the mirror walking towards me but when I'd turn my head nothing was there. I asked it what it wanted and it replied saying it wanted me. I could see it's shadow in the hallway but not the thing itself. Then it only got worse. It would dissapear from room to room and finally I saw it digging around in my car. I ran outside and nothing was there.
It lasted for 4 or 5 days. I couldn't see it but it would talk wanting my attention. I tried falling asleep and I could feel it poking my ribs and my back everything I tried to fall asleep. It was absolutely terrifying. Many months later I got a DUI and in the program is where I found out about DT's. Alcohol is the worst thing on earth.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

With 27 yrs sobriety I absolutely love
hearing music in my heart, mind and soul.

Ive always loved many types of music,
however, when I got sober and the fog
cleared from head and mind, music was
soooo clear, crisp....beautiful.

When I lay down to sleep today, all
the music I had heard during the day
fills my mind. Sometimes hard to turn
off, but I know id rather have music
in my heart, mind and soul instead of
that numbing, dull, in a barrow sound
noise I use to hear when under the
influence of a toxic substance that
was killing me.

Music is uplifting, happy, soul feeling,
and a gift from the heavens and all those
who play it with so much love and talent.

A sober life filled with awesome music
is a gift much appreciated and never
taken for granted.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Chapa - I'm glad you're doing ok now

D
Old 11-04-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

During the later years of my heavy drinking I heard faint music playing when I was hungover and used to cover my ears to see if it was real or in my head. When I would be waking up or falling asleep I would hear the same thing.

During early recovery I also heard faint music when a fan was on.

At over one year sober all of that is gone. I figured I had really messed up my brain.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've only recently got sober and been hit with hallucinations too. First day I was having closed-eye hallucinations, when my eyes where closed I was seeing such vivid images and when it got dark I was seeing all sorts off shapes around my bedroom. Second day the images had faded but as mentioned by others in this post I was hearing music and then what sounded like a woman talking. I was almost convinced it was coming from my neighbors house but knew this was unlikely as I've never heard noise like this from them before. Also have had dreadful insomnia, I must have literally lay in bed awake for 3 days, I was exhausted both physically and mentally but the second I lay down my mind just raced with thoughts when I did manage to sleep dreams where awful and vivid.

Overall an experience that I NEVER want to repeat. Ten years of drinking and I've finally decided enough is enough. I want a long healthy life with a healthy mind and body. I just pray I will be strong enough to stay sober.