Notices

Can I do it alone?

Old 11-20-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Many can get and stay sober on their own, and many die trying. The problem is that those who get and stay sober on their own often believe that because they can do it, everyone can, and that is just not true.

So maybe you can, and maybe you can't. There may come a point where a wise person would recognise defeat when it is staring them in the face and be able to swallow their pride and get help before it killed them.

A message in the AA book goes something like this "If you really want to quit drinking liquor for good and all and sincerely feel that uou must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when you were getting another drink."

If you need help, it's there for you.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

OK your question can I do this alone? I guess you can do anything you want. But if you can quit drinking alone hey you may be just a problem drinker. The thing to ask yourself is has it been working for you? You obviously want to quit and you obviously have not been able to which is not that big of a deal but you have The opportunity to seek support. Alcoholics like to isolate we like to feel in control and independent. Like I said you can do it but there's an easier softer way. The only way to find the same spiritual solutions that truly grateful alcoholics share is to listen to their stories and find out how they did it if you want your own figure out a better way then so be it as long as you're sober and happy. But is my true belief that you cannot do it alone I'm probably one of the best self will run riot stubborn egotistical pigheaded people I've ever met in my life LOL but I had to surrender that is when I found peace and sobriety just try it it's not gonna hurt.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The problem is pain has no memory.my amwer is no, you need to be kept reminded and get a higher power.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ashtorment View Post
I lost my only friend I ever had because of alcohol, and I regret it everyday, only once I start drinking more and more do I kind of forget about that, but when I sober up and don't drink for a day my mind goes back to it.
That sounds like a pretty clear description of the ol' 'self-medication'. You drink to forget the pain of the loss of the friendship. If you could somehow try and nullify the 'pain, whether it's coming to accept what's happened, understanding the past and/or forgiving yourself/others, you might be less inclined to drink.

I also wonder about quitting facebook altogether because a rift has occurred between you and your friend. I don't know if there's been any nastiness - that would be different - but it sounds like you feel you are not being social enough and that it's a problem.

Losing a really good friend to drinking is awful. It' s happened to me too (((hugs))) It's so fresh for you, only a week or two, so remember it would be weird if you felt anything other than a bit stink about it, to say the least, right now. It takes time