Notices

Just checking in

Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just checking in

Hi SR peeps -- I just wanted to check in, and also say out loud (or type out loud) that I'm an alcoholic, and I'm grateful to be sober today.

I've been on vacation, traveling in Spain for a couple of weeks, and haven't gotten to any AA meetings while here (I'll go this weekend when I return home).

I must say, there's a heck of a lot of booze in the open-air cafés here -- wine bottles everywhere I turn. Today we had lunch at a restaurant, with diet cokes, and when they brought the check, they stuck a glass of dessert wine under my nose (not ordered, of course, just a freebie). I just pushed the glass away.

I'm really grateful that the problem has been removed for me and I have not wanted a drink despite it being all around me. I'm so grateful to feel healthy every morning, walk all day seeing the sights, and be actually present for my husband/travel companion. I'm grateful my plans don't have to revolve around drinking and I'm free to go anywhere and do anything.

Thanks for listening SR friends... This is the longest I've gone without a meeting since getting sober 14 months ago, and I don't want to take my sobriety for granted. Just wanted to connect with others who understand.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations, tursiopps, on 14 sober months of sobriety.

Good to hear that things are going so well.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for checking in and congratulations! SR is here 24/7 so don't be afraid to log in at any time if you need some support and can't get to a meeting. Enjoy the vacation!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Thanks for listening SR friends... This is the longest I've gone without a meeting since getting sober 14 months ago, and I don't want to take my sobriety for granted. Just wanted to connect with others who understand.

Thanks for checking in. It's an inspiration for us who are just starting off on our path to hear these updates. I like your comment about not taking sobriety for granted. It sounds like some who have a long period of sobriety think they can go back and drink like "normal" people only to find themselves back on the alcohol roller coaster.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

grats mate. Def inspiring.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job, Tursiops!

Hope you continue enjoying Spain and build lots of wonderful memories from your journey.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to hear from you, Tursiops. You have a lot to be proud of - I know the vaca must've been challenging.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Hi SR peeps -- I just wanted to check in, and also say out loud (or type out loud) that I'm an alcoholic, and I'm grateful to be sober today.

I've been on vacation, traveling in Spain for a couple of weeks, and haven't gotten to any AA meetings while here (I'll go this weekend when I return home).

I must say, there's a heck of a lot of booze in the open-air cafés here -- wine bottles everywhere I turn. Today we had lunch at a restaurant, with diet cokes, and when they brought the check, they stuck a glass of dessert wine under my nose (not ordered, of course, just a freebie). I just pushed the glass away.

I'm really grateful that the problem has been removed for me and I have not wanted a drink despite it being all around me. I'm so grateful to feel healthy every morning, walk all day seeing the sights, and be actually present for my husband/travel companion. I'm grateful my plans don't have to revolve around drinking and I'm free to go anywhere and do anything.

#Awesome