Notices

Horrible Drinking Dreams

Old 11-05-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Horrible Drinking Dreams

Horrible Drinking Dream
None of my drinking dreams are ever pleasant. They all cause turmoil, internal struggles, moral dilemmas. And they all include fretting over how I'm gonna stop, first of all, and how I'm going to handle having to start over, yet again. Each time I've started over, I've felt like the road to sobriety just got longer, and the uphill climb steeper. Last night's dream was no exception. Even in twilight sleep, I was entertaining the idea of how I could get away with pretending I was still sober, as if I still had any chance of doing that. One thing is for certain now...there is no more hiding. I crossed over into drinking myself into blackouts, pretty much every time. Everyone would know. I'm just about 7 months sober now. I do hope these dreams subside with more time.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had plenty of drinking dreams in the first year or so, also, and a few after.

They have dramatically reduced in frequency; I am sure that yours will, too, GMO.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think drinking dreams are common.....I always wake up relieved that it was only a dream.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I still have them on occasion myself. For me the worst part of the dream is that I usually realize in the dream that I've broken my sobriety and I'm of course dissapointed. It's always such a relief to wake up and realize it was just a dream.

I have bad dreams about other things too though occasionally, so I don't read too much into them. I feel it's just our minds reacting to stress or other issues and a normal part of life.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, GMO,

I get drinking dreams every once in a while (maybe every several months) and I'm seven years sober. I put them in the same class as any other nightmare. They aren't wish-fulfillment dreams--if they were, you'd be posting about how great it was to drink and how disappointed you were to wake up and remember you can't drink anymore. So take comfort in that. I agree with the others they will lessen with time--right now your sobriety is very much in the forefront of your thoughts (as it should be). As it becomes more a part of your everyday life the dreams are likely to diminish.

I just read some of your old threads and wanted to say I think you're going at this the right way. I see a lot of growth in you since you got sober. After you're around recovery you get sort of a little sixth sense about who's gonna make it this time, and who's still got more drinking to do. Not that it's infallible, of course. Still, we develop a pretty good BS detector when people are lying to themselves. You strike me as one of those who's not going back for more drinking. Just a feeling. Take it for what it's worth. Your relationship with your kids will heal, and someday you may even have a cordial (if not friendly) relationship with your ex.

Keep on keepin' on.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I used to get those dreams. I would always be wondering what would happen when everyone found out. The shame etc, and it was always a relief when I woke up sober.

I think they are a good sign. Perhaps a sign of deep acceptance that I could never drink again witout terrible consequences, and a sign of a sincere desire to stay stopped. They certainly don't seem to be anything to get worried about.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I've only started getting these nightmares recently I'm so glad when I'm awake
Old 11-06-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I still get them with 3 years sobriety. The other night i had a bender of a dream which was so lucid it really surprised me. I woke up and could taste bourbon! I work in an industry (mining) where we start very early and submit a breathalyzer test every morning. I actually had butterflies but of course i blew 0.000. I actually appreciate the dreams as they vividly remind me what I was like and the revulsion at my conduct, the shame of my weakness and the constant fear of being exposed and punished. It's important never to forget what we were like compared to what we are now.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I've only had one or two.

But it sounds like a good (although unpleasant) experience, because in the dreams you're not enjoying drinking, you're having a horrible time. Maybe it's just your brain's way of reminding you how awful it was to be a drinker.

Anyhow, I'm sure these will fade in time