Notices

Recovery centers in the mind.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Recovery centers in the mind.

In my recovery, I've always felt that, whilst others may share their experience, strength and hope to assist its progress, it is a personal responsibility.

In which its quality is more important than its quantity , length or duration, as it says in the AA literature, all we have is a daily reprieve. Which leaves little room for complacency in which, taking a positive approach. here's lots of room for enhancing and fulfilling our lives with those things that enhance and strengthen both our lives and our sobriety. I've no doubt there's many on here who could point and add to this list....ad infinitum.

Whilst a full knowledge and understanding , together with other related items of the AA literature played a significant part in my recovery.

I found fundamental Buddhist philosophy assisted it, not least because as the Dalai Lama himself says,'Buddhism is not a religion. It is the science of the mind.'

Which is complimented by the practices and principles of Stoic philosophy, itself a highly rational philosophy, tailored for the individual and originally taught on the street, rather than in some isolated academic institution. Which definitely appealed to me!

Even more so when I found it was linked to 'The Serenity Prayer'!

All of which in themselves complimented and supported the fact that recovery from either addiction, to anything or alcoholism, centers in the mind...all you need to do is ...

'Remember, very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself in your way of thinking.' - Marcus Aurelius
Old 11-04-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I seen something about this, there are many similarities glad some of the world's wisest shared thier wisdom

Another excellent post Redmayne
Old 11-04-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well said, Redmayne. So many of the great human wisdom traditions are centered around understanding the power of the mind.

Often times I think that I am scare to truly realize this, because it means that so much of the work that must be done is a.) possible and b.) has to be by one's self.

It's exciting and amazing but also overwhelming to try and understand the vastness of our own potential.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Self reliance and experience...

Personally speaking, I've always believed, given I've lead as the late and eminent psychologist, Carl Rogers says,'a 'rich' full life of experiential learning. Knowing both great triumph and disaster in equal measure, whilst still retaining my enthusiasm for new experiences.'
tioning people', jury's still out on that one in my case.

On self reliance and experience.

With the proviso, as the Buddhists say, that you should always rely on yourself, and anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned.

'Man is not disturbed by things, but by his view (perception) of things' - Epictetus.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I don't think there was much hope of recovery centred in my mind. The problem was centred in the mind and the result of that was a mind that barely worked on an instinctual level. I was fairly well stupified, my IQ being reduced to about my shoe size.

Recovery was centred, for me, on finding some power through the steps, a power greater than myself, that would solve my problem. An unsuspected innner resource? maybe. Possibly a working relationship with the God of my understanding seems to fit me better. Permanent recovery to me seems centred on this relationship.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I'm certainly with you...

I'm certainly with you inn your remark about recovery working in a relationship with the God of your understanding, 100%!

Perhaps, although I rarely mention it, on the night of the 14th/15th Feb., 2008, my desire to drink alcohol was taken from me by my having a 'psychic or spiritual experience.'

This at a time when I was alone and unaided and so debilitated by alcohol I couldn't stand up and in fear I wouldn't see the morning light.

The proof of which, I'm still here safe, sane and sober...

'Remember, very little is needed to make a happy life ; it is all within yourself in your way of thinking,' - Marcus Aurelius