Notices

There is a kink in the plan...

Old 11-03-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There is a kink in the plan...

Of course this is! Nothing is smooth sailing

The school I applied to an was accepted into - I didn't realize how good the school was - so on one hand I'm delighted that I was accepted (I got the physical acceptance letter and that thing is pretty and they did it up with a little stand up frame and I also received this really pretty gilt certificate of acceptance with silver filigreed print - that's when the alarm bells went off) - now. Now I'm sure there's going to be an issue with funding. I didn't look at funding because I assumed it was going to be similar to the lower cost funding of other schools I've been to and financial aid would cover it.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. So wrong. Like I'm lacking $10,000 plus in tuition alone...for one year. I can secure the loan, but...the question is whether or not it's a good idea to proceed or just accept that this is my life...this crap job with these negative and miserable people in this tiny little town where people spend all of their time worrying about everyone else. Or get myself further in debt. I rationalize that I'm already in considerable debt so I'd really just be adding to something that's pre-existing and doing this I would secure a higher income - I've worked out imaginary figures for imaginary payments from an imaginary paycheck - but...having to take a loan to cover the rest of the tuition pretty much squelches the idea of quitting this place and working part time through school because it certainly is not a good idea to take two loans to attend - one for tuition and one to cover part of the income I would lose so that living expenses would be covered.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it.
I work full time and attend university, I don't have financial support from anywhere
Sometimes its hard, but I love it
Xoxo
Old 11-03-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rationally since I already have core classes to transfer in it's only two years...

And $20,000

Old 11-03-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's a decision you'll have to make but it sounds to me like the alternative ( as you describe it ) isn't any more promising than the plan.

Think of it this way - any change you make to your life is going to involve risk. Even if you just changed jobs without going to school their is risk. Heck, there's even risk if you don't do anything. Only you know the answer to your financial situation, but if the long term benefits outweigh the short term financial burden then I think you already know the answer.

Also please keep in mind that EVERY job is going to involve things that you don't like, and most likely people you'd prefer not to work with - so no matter where you go, it's no guarantee that you will have a blissful, worry free work environment. Certainly moving up to more responsibility will be a plus, and doing something you enjoy will help too.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I kind of feel like I have to go because of this pretty frameable certificate of acceptance I received.

And I can't leave this job and take a different one in my field - again the small town thing - and any potential employers would call my prior employer and god only knows what he would tell him since I won't answer his phone calls anymore, so that's a no. Nope. So I am quite trapped here because he's a pig.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Kallistia View Post
I kind of feel like I have to go because of this pretty frameable certificate of acceptance I received.

And I can't leave this job and take a different one in my field - again the small town thing - and any potential employers would call my prior employer and god only knows what he would tell him since I won't answer his phone calls anymore, so that's a no. Nope. So I am quite trapped here because he's a pig.
Your previous employer will be called as a reference no matter where you go next, even if you graduate from your new program and apply to work in a completely different field, so that shouldn't really be a concern of yours. If you are going to make this decision you need to look at what the potential it provides you for the future - not based on your current boss or a certificate.

The tuition you describe is not out of the ordinary, you just need to decide if that's the path you truly want to take in your career. Quite frankly, if you were good enough to get accepted there most likely you are good enough to get accepted at many other places too...that's a good sign!
Old 11-03-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wonder if it would be better to take out a small loan to cover the excess cost per semester instead of the giant chunk for the year.

I think actually that may be the better plan instead of rolling into the bank with the application they just randomly and requesting $10,000 O.o
Old 11-03-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Your previous employer will be called as a reference no matter where you go next, even if you graduate from your new program and apply to work in a completely different field, so that shouldn't really be a concern of yours. If you are going to make this decision you need to look at what the potential it provides you for the future - not based on your current boss or a certificate. The tuition you describe is not out of the ordinary, you just need to decide if that's the path you truly want to take in your career. Quite frankly, if you were good enough to get accepted there most likely you are good enough to get accepted at many other places too...that's a good sign!
Hopefully though with a different degree in an entirely different field I can find a way to bypass having them call him because I really have no idea what that pervert would say to any future employers in retaliation for not getting what he wanted :/
Old 11-03-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Don't ever feel like you have to do something because you got something pretty. It's your choice but are the job prospects and pay for whatever degree you're getting going to offset the loans? As long as the potential job's salary is higher enough than what you could already make to pay off the loan in a reasonable time it's worth it. There are some people out there with ungodly loans for a degree that has very little hope of a job and low paying to boot. That would not be worth it.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Don't ever feel like you have to do something because you got something pretty. It's your choice but are the job prospects and pay for whatever degree you're getting going to offset the loans? As long as the potential job's salary is higher enough than what you could already make to pay off the loan in a reasonable time it's worth it. There are some people out there with ungodly loans for a degree that has very little hope of a job and low paying to boot. That would not be worth it.
They are, I've been looking at everything over the past several weeks - future prospects and so forth

Also - I don't mean the certificate is what makes me think I kind of have to, the opportunity in itself
Old 11-03-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Then I'd say go for it! $20,000 in loans will be a burden for awhile, but it's not outrageous.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Kallistia View Post
Hopefully though with a different degree in an entirely different field I can find a way to bypass having them call him because I really have no idea what that pervert would say to any future employers in retaliation for not getting what he wanted :/
I'd say concentrate on the positives and what the current opportunity holds instead of worrying about those kinds of details now anyway.

I personally work in higher education so i'm biased of course, but learning new skills for the future is always a good thing in my book. Regarding the money, talk to the financial aid office at the place you are applying - there are a wide range of grants/scholarships/loans available out there, especially for working adults returning to receive additional education.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well you only live once kallistia, maybe take it while its presented?

I would if I had the chance at this moment, but unfortunately lots of mouths to feed and my lack of willpower are failing me at the moment.

Not to mention I don't think I could qualify for anything at the moment because when I went to school I squandered alot of financial aid with my alcoholism and probably burned alot of bridges as the result.

I still plan on going back to school someday but I need some big financial planning as this decision will impact my family in some way.

However this could be a small setback for a major step forward in the future.

What is it you are planning on doing with your schooling kallistia?
Old 11-03-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tend to run everything through a filter of "I'm going to die anyway"
Old 11-03-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If it is something you want to do, and will result in an increase in income, I'd go for it. $20k in loans isn't too bad. Student loan interest is deductible and federal loans offer flexible repayment terms.

I have over $100k in loans and for a period before I secured a good paying job, I was able to pay only $100 a month. I pay more now of course but the income boost from the degree makes it all work out.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Without knowing specifics its really hard to offer input. And since you haven't provided specifics, I'm guessing that is something you'd rather keep to yourself. I can give you two scenarios. If this is acceptance into a prestigious school in a specialized field I would not hesitate to go for it. If it is acceptance into a rather expensive private school to study something rather vanilla or generic (for example, Business Administration), I would think closely about that before making the commitment. Not sure that helps at all.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If your education is going to lead to a well paying job with an upward arc of a career path then $20G is not an insurmountable amount of money. Possibly a trade off between some short term discomfort for long term comfort. I can't offer more since I don't know the particulars.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

best wishes Kallistia
Old 11-04-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm a big believer in education. I went back for my masters degree when I was 42, and my career path took a significant turn upwards once I completed it. If it will bring new opportunities I would personally go for it.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Grats Kal. Sounds exciting.. it's a shame sometimes it comes down to money to further education. Have you looked into any grants etc?