Notices

Very interesting video - thoughts?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very interesting video - thoughts?

Hi guys, anyone seen this, what do you think? The nature of addiction..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg
Old 11-01-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
Hi guys, anyone seen this, what do you think? The nature of addiction..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg
I study sociology concentrated in criminology, I totally agree with this - for addiction and crime
Old 11-01-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not everyone thinks Hari is on to anything, for example https://www.thefix.com/content/4-thi...bout-addiction
Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Not everyone thinks Hari is on to anything, for example https://www.thefix.com/content/4-thi...bout-addiction
I agree that of course addiction has a physical component, but I think once withdrawls are addressed, the connection part is crucial.
If we were on the right track treating addiction as simply a medical, biological issue, we wouldn't have a worldwide addiction disaster.
Sure we can detox, but that's why forced detoxes don't work, the addict just heads out again right after.
Socail and community programs have a far higher success rate

That's why support from doctors, AA, Family, forums, rehab is essential, it only takes a short while to get drugs or alcohol out of your system, the recovery is the hard part, humans are social creatures and we live in packs.
If you ask many people what has been the main contributing factor in their sobriety, I think most would say: connection to other people in one way or another, I think treating the physical aspect is necessary, but not sufficient.
Xo

The same with crime, the more an individual or group in immersed and connected to society, the less likely they are to terrorize and become deviant, this is true all the way from petty robbery to terrorism and serial and mass murder
Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JeffreyAK -- Thanks for posting the link to TheFix article. "Consider the source."
Old 11-01-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

But just because the guy is a douche doesn't mean he's wrong

Hunter S thompson was a drug addict/ alcoholic nightmare, doesn't mean he wasn't a fantastic journalist and writer.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, Jsbodhi...I agree. Medical/detox is sometimes necessary but always insufficient, it seems.

I think Hari is basically making a political message/point. And as such, it isn't going to help me, today. So my patience with him may be kinda short. TheFix article was well constructed, and showed up the logical errors and falsities in the Hari-based "nutshell" video and Hari's Ted.

Connection and reconnection is at the heart of every recovery approach I have seen, and AfTER detox, most approaches are free for the taking. The addict has to take it though, no one can reconnect us, except ourselves. TheFix: "[Hari] believes he’s saying something innovative by suggesting that addiction is rooted in isolation, but every addict knows this in a way Hari will hopefully never comprehend."
Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Folks...it's important to remember that most of the ideas presented in these links are opinions. While based in fact, let's not lose sight of the goal of SR..to support each other in our sobriety.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
Yes, Jsbodhi...I agree. Medical/detox is sometimes necessary but always insufficient, it seems.

I think Hari is basically making a political message/point. And as such, it isn't going to help me, today. So my patience with him may be kinda short. TheFix article was well constructed, and showed up the logical errors and falsities in the Hari-based "nutshell" video and Hari's Ted.

Connection and reconnection is at the heart of every recovery approach I have seen, and AfTER detox, most approaches are free for the taking. The addict has to take it though, no one can reconnect us, except ourselves. TheFix: "[Hari] believes he’s saying something innovative by suggesting that addiction is rooted in isolation, but every addict knows this in a way Hari will hopefully never comprehend."
I agree with you, but at least he was acknowledging the isolation and that it needs to be addressed, most people would tell us to " just get over it and stop"

I just don't really think the fix article really said anything to disqualify what he was saying, it was just picking apart little aspects of his message and trying to discredit him.
I felt like the article actually agreed with him at the end by saying that isolation is the core component of an addicts life.
I just felt like the article was taking away from what he was trying to say by illuminating his personal failings rather than the message he was presenting.
I guess because I'm into politics and cross national studies it made a lot of sense to me, its just an area of perosnal interest- it doesn't mean I'm right though haha
Places with a dense network of social programs, and that have made serious efforts to decrease stigmitaztion and decriminalize addiction have made far more headway than places such as USA, Russia etc
The Nordic countries are a great example of this.
I just think that a lot of the solution to the problem begins with politics and social programs

Xoxo
Old 11-01-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Folks...it's important to remember that most of the ideas presented in these links are opinions. While based in fact, let's not lose sight of the goal of SR..to support each other in our sobriety.
Bixbees is one of my favourite people here, I was just engaging in a bit of friendly debate
At the end of the day I don't care if I'm right or proved my point, I just like talking about things, I never shut up in class either, I could go back and forth on the exchange of ideas all day and night.

Just so everyone knows, if I start going on and on and on, please don't take it personally, I just enjoy it
Xoxo
Old 11-01-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it seems to me that his theory is a partial truth. i think theres a little more to it then everyone come hug and accept them and they get better. I do agree healthy relationships are important.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by damascus1986 View Post
it seems to me that his theory is a partial truth. i think theres a little more to it then everyone come hug and accept them and they get better. I do agree healthy relationships are important.
Heehee, but he wasn't just saying come and hug, he was saying it's a political, social, community issue that needs to be reworked and redesigned by all of all the levels of society, from friends and family to a global level.
That stigmatization, criminalization and marginalization isn't working.
Hugs are nice to though xx
Old 11-01-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I agree that of course addiction has a physical component, but I think once withdrawls are addressed, the connection part is crucial.
If we were on the right track treating addiction as simply a medical, biological issue, we wouldn't have a worldwide addiction disaster.
Sure we can detox, but that's why forced detoxes don't work, the addict just heads out again right after.
Socail and community programs have a far higher success rate

That's why support from doctors, AA, Family, forums, rehab is essential, it only takes a short while to get drugs or alcohol out of your system, the recovery is the hard part, humans are social creatures and we live in packs.
If you ask many people what has been the main contributing factor in their sobriety, I think most would say: connection to other people in one way or another, I think treating the physical aspect is necessary, but not sufficient.
Xo

The same with crime, the more an individual or group in immersed and connected to society, the less likely they are to terrorize and become deviant, this is true all the way from petty robbery to terrorism and serial and mass murder
Sure, but I don't know that many people will disagree with this, and it didn't start with Hari. A lot of the things he claims in his book are, well, outside the mainstream, and some would argue counter-productive and even dangerous to addicts.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sure, but I don't know that many people will disagree with this, and it didn't start with Hari. A lot of the things he claims in his book are, well, outside the mainstream, and some would argue counter-productive and even dangerous to addicts.
I'm not a hari advocate, I don't even know the guy, but from the ted talk I just watched, I agreed with him.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Heehee, but he wasn't just saying come and hug, he was saying it's a political, social, community issue that needs to be reworked and redesigned by all of all the levels of society, from friends and family to a global level.
That stigmatization, criminalization and marginalization isn't working.
Hugs are nice to though xx
I was actually just posting in another thread how i cried in rehab begging for my family to go to al a non meetings when i got out. they never did. because im the addict. sometimes they are still a little crazy but at the end of the day i like to stay in my hoola hoop some and focus on fixing my problem which is mostly myself.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All ideas are dangerous, to someone in some way or another.
It's important for people to think, to share their ideas, to challenge each other, if people take ideas or thoughts the wrong way or want to listen to a crackpot, then that's unavoidable
Just as it's important for his critics to level the playing field out, it gives everyone well rounded info so they can sort it out for themselves
Old 11-01-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by damascus1986 View Post
I was actually just posting in another thread how i cried in rehab begging for my family to go to al a non meetings when i got out. they never did. because im the addict. sometimes they are still a little crazy but at the end of the day i like to stay in my hoola hoop some and focus on fixing my problem which is mostly myself.
I agree that recovery starts within the addict as an individual; but if society is making a difficult thing even harder, it just lessens the odds and stats of recovery xx

I'm sorry they didn't come to al anon for you xoxo
Old 11-01-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree that recovery starts within the addict as an individual; but if society is making a difficult thing even harder, it just lessens the odds and stats of recovery xx

I'm sorry they didn't come to al anon for you xoxo
HAHA its ok life on lifes terms right? i love them anyway

thats true just dont make it too easy on us we are master manipulators haha. sometimes different ppl need different things to hit their "bottom" some need love some need a swift kick in the hiney!

i do think society could make things easier but most normies dont think addiction is a disease its amazing how we judge eachother without walking a mile in someone elses shoes. Im guilty of it as well.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ion-wrong.html
Old 11-01-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh nice! Gonna grab a coffee and dig into this thread!
I will be back! Haha