Notices

Sugar alternatives.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar alternatives.

As a kid and anytime before drinking alcohol regularly I was a big sugar addict. That went away when I drank--like entirely. Now my old habits are coming back. I want sugar in the morning after I eat with my coffee, I want sugar after my snack at night. Sometimes, I'll grab something after dinner too and once I get started it's 2 or 3 things. I try to limit the amounts--6-7 m'n m's, 5-6 meltie mints (mmm) if we have something like pie around one piece a day either with coffee or after dinner, but I've found myself craving more lately. Watched a thing on you tube about sugar and how the body metabolizes it and it is very similar to alcohol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
I also used to monitor my high fructose and now it's just a free for all--whatever I really want-- I don't care...(this is getting bad) Eliminating sugar like so many recommend-(detox) is something I don't want to do (of course not lol) it's just not realistic with me but I think what I can do is eat more fruit. I really used to like fruit salad that you get cut up from the grocery store and that would be an acceptable substitution for me. There's also these great yogurt fruitbars at costco that I really like. Anyone else have acceptable sugar substitutes that have worked for them? I'm also thinking about doing more baking, that way I know what's in stuff anyway and I can sort of make stuff healthier by substituting ingredients like applesauce etc--can look up healthier ways to make a cookie etc. Miraculously my weight has stayed the same but I'm getting acne at 47 after 25 years of being clear lol and I'm just afraid it'll get worse and worse. I also had a cavity...
Old 10-29-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

i pretty much live on fruit for my calories. probably 90% of my calories comes from fruit. I eat 40-80lbs of bananas per week on average along with whatever else i can throw into the mix.

needless to say i liek my carbs! but I wont shovel in candy or soda or something. I also eat very low fat as well.

so yeah fruit up!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really like liquid stevia. (Alcohol free of course)

I put a few drops in water with a splash of lemon and viola ! Lemonade.

Frozen grapes are another good trick!
Old 10-29-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Candarel ? saccharin ?
Old 10-29-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Dried fruit is a staple of mine. I have a dehydrator and do it myself.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i agree with zjw. as a effort to eat less candy i been fruiting it up, stawberries and watermelon have helped alot.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm the same. I became a sweet eater after quitting alcohol, same as when I was a kid. I keep it out of the house and can resist for a couple of days but I'm in big trouble if I go somewhere that treats are available. Then I tend to binge.

I do eat a lot of fruit - mango, papaya and banana every morning with my oatmeal, and sometimes an apple in the afternoon as a healthy snack. It works to satisfy the cravings, but hard to not go for something more calorie dense after a couple of days.

I suspect that eating fruit keeps the sugar cycle in play, especially high GI fruits like banana and mango, and raisins.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well......I was eating a lot of sweets at first......and that was okay w me.....I called it harm reduction........I make bunt cakes .......w no icing ,don't like it......I keep a couple pieces for me and I give the rest away.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well the video seemed to have 'scared me straight' at least for awhile. I was thinking of bananas but they go so fast. I was remembering though how much I liked frozen bananas when I was a teenager. Gonna go visit the farms today and see what they have--usually stuff is marked down today--need to reverse the horrible sugar fest I've been having. I'm guessing it's worse right now because it's almost halloween.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

I've probably eated at least 20 bananas so far today and a pile of blue berries. for dinner i'm not sure it'll either be more bananas or a serving bowl of lentils and rice with tomatos and cilantro and lime. followed by more bananas or something. maybe i'll eat a few apples too.

I eat a lot of carbs! lol.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A little fat won't hurt. It lasts longer and reduces carb cravings, st least in my experience.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You said frozen bananas. Ever had frozen banana "ice cream"? Freeze 'em, mash 'em, add a little soy or almond milk to get the right texture, add fruit, low sugar chocolate, whatever you want.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Did pretty good at the farms. Got some sweet potatoes for fries which I love and chopped them all up and froze them in baggies. Also have the seasoning made up for quick preparing. Chopped up apples for applesauce today --will make the house smell good for when the trick or treaters come. Grabbed some carrots too-they're all peeled ready to go, all good 'sweet' veggies. Oh also some awesome kettle corn. Froze a bunch of other stuff too, Was busy last night. Also got some fresh cider -- a great replacement for the wine I drink every year manning the door. Will give away the in the packaged cookies I just got to kids with better costumes. Did cave and got some candy corn (made a wrong turn and ended up at Walgreens) but haven't had any this year and was really craving some. It was just 2 small packages (1 of those big marshmellow cremes) and I can keep that in check. Passed on fresh made pie, big gorgeous caramel apples and caramels.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I love sweet potato fries or even roasted chunks. I found squash, Brussels sprouts and parsnips at the farmers market today, last one of the year.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Bluefairy!
I was watching my diet for awhile due to prediabetes, and I found that prunes from the Whole Foods bulk food area were so sweet! And did not really upset my sugars a lot. I ate 3 or 4 at a time, ten a day is supposed to be preventative for osteoperosis, says the internet at least.

And bananas- Freeze some and then blend them into a smoothie texture- the best dessert ever! Seriously delicious. Add Cool Whip or something, optional.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Add red beets to your list of sweet veggies.......I roastem, slice them and put raspberry vinaigrette on them........beautiful.