Notices

A Disease of Perception.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A Disease of Perception.

The main problem for those who suffer from alcoholism, centers in the mind. Not for nothing is it referred to as a Disease of Perception.

On that basis, in recovery I've found there's a lot to be gained in remembering this quote, one of many, all relevant and useful from Marcus Aurelius,

'Very little is needed to make a happy life. It is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.'

Change your perception, change your life!

Backed up by Einstein's definition of insanity, which he defines as being when you keep doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

I certainly did a lot of that in my drinking days...as I'm sure did many others.

Last edited by Redmayne; 10-28-2015 at 01:19 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 10-28-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post

This is so right...
Old 10-28-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Red,

So true, although in my mind, there is a strong physical aspect as well, which is why we can change our perception, but we can't change our bodies, and they say one sip and all bets are off.

But this is a debate without a difference -- we can abstain, but we cannot control.

Maybe why does not matter so much.

Thanks for the post.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Red
Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Alcoholism is both...

For those who felt I'd some how inadvertently omitted to mention that alcoholism is a disease/illness comprising of both a mental obsession and a physical allergy. I thought I'd just confirm that, I am aware of this binary aspect of it, but thanks for drawing my attention to it, little reminders offered in a constructive manner, are always welcome.

As Carl Sandburg said,'A society (or individual, my words) that forgets where it comes from. Will destroy itself.'

Which is why I always think the quality of anyones sobriety is more important than its duration. Complacency, especially in recovery is very dangerous...
Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
'Very little is needed to make a happy life. It is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.'

This has many parallels in Mindfulness/Meditation. I find it to be a very helpful tool in dealing not just with my sobriety, but my anxiety and pretty much life in general.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post, Red.

"Change your perception; change your life". - I totally agree.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If I had not changed my perception of my place in the world I wouldn't be sober. I simply am not the person I was before. Each day I strive to be a little closer to the person I want to be
Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Stoic philosophy.

Marcus Aurelius, together with Epictetus and Seneca, was one of the three great Stoic philosophers. which has links to both 'Mindfulness' and 'The Serenity Prayer.'

See - Patrick Ussher's book,'Stoicism Today', with a website of the same name, for those interested.

I must admit, together with the AA literature, books on Buddhist philosophy, I've found Stoic philosophy, in recovery, not only adds to but enhances the quality of my sobriety...whilst at the same time, never forgetting where I came from.