Notices

Made 30 days , But still to many TV Beer ads.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My point was I don't like ads.

I also eliminated people who smoke from my circle. . . and people who complain 99% of the time...and people who are basically cruel or dishonest. Yes, those are still out there. No, I don't have to engage them.

I'm with you, Fatbat.

Some stuff I'm just better avoiding, for my general well-being. Keeping it Simple is all.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 (now 31) days, bullmas. Well done.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post

Secondly I was just venting because I am only a week into this sober business and it is kind of tough. I feel patronised by some of your subsequent comments
You are welcome to feel how you like, as am I. At a week in, I was raw around the edges, and subjected to a lot of stuff I didn't want to hear. Then there was the issue of my relapses causing me to be on Day 7 on numerous occasions. I'm not meaning to be patronizing. I'm owning my comments, speaking of my experience, and keeping my (supposed) insights in the first person. Relax, man...it's just the internet.

Personally, I don't feel they have a social responsibility to curtail their business because a portion of their customer base chooses not to drink. Business is business, and they were in no way coercing or targeting alcoholic consumers any more than they were non-alcoholic consumers.

I don't know how reliable the statistic is, but in one of my two inpatient programs, it was stated that of all consumers who drink, only 10-15 percent drank in a fashion that would qualify as "alcohol abuse," but that portion purchased (and we can infer, consumed) 90% or better of all alcohol sold in the United States. Should consumers who drink responsibly, which is an overwhelming majority, be penalized because a minority abuses it? The experiment with prohibition didn't work well, and legislating morality is sticky business.

Really, I've got to remember that I'm not important or special because I'm alcoholic. It's imperative for me to accept my own condition, realize that I'm not targeted by "them," and mind MY business. Many people have done so in this thread. biminiblue pointed out just how far the sheer willingness to adjust and change can go if sobriety is your top priority.

Bottom line for this ol' cowpuncher...the world simply is, for better or worse. It's not targeting me, it's not out to get me, and it'll keep spinning, regardless of whether I cry fowl over something I don't like or not.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This ever happen to anybody?

I was reading an article about how " subliminal messages" and how they can be

added to pictures or images < advertising> to trigger a subconscious response,

Example : Yesterday while driving , I saw a billboard with a crystal clear photograph of a freshly served

ice/cold bubbling glass of beer, and I could actually taste it! Could that

be from my subconscious mine? or am I ready for the strait jacket?

Cheers
Old 10-28-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Bullmas, congratulations on making it through the first month. I think that might be the hardest time.

I don't notice the beer ads anymore. I'm three days away from four years without a drink. It takes a while. I used to be unable to go through the beer/wine aisle of the store! It does get easier.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
Some of you guys have kind of missed my original point. I stop at my drive through supermarket for lots of different reasons including the fact that I don't like to make ANY impulse purchases....... alcohol, cigarettes, junk food for the kids .... whatever so I don't think it is right to suddenly turn up with a massive booze promotion and as a consumer I am entitled to be annoyed.

Secondly I was just venting because I am only a week into this sober business and it is kind of tough. I feel patronised by some of your subsequent comments of course I know that "only I can take responsibility for my drinking" I am not blaming the advertisers or ANYONE other than myself.

But I think manufacturers DO have a social responsibility to the consumer when it comes to how and where they place their products.

Just as an aside and fyi some supermarkets in UK are not only banning the promotion of things that are "proven to be bad for us" they are also refusing to stock them. Some supermarkets will no longer sell extra large jars of Nutella for example. And the childrens "fruit drink" Sunny delight is no longer allowed to be positioned in the fruit juice aisle because it is more sugar than fruit.

Just saying.
Fabat -

I agree with you 100%. Nowhere in your post did you say anything about not being responsible for your actions. I personally think there's plenty of blame to go around even though we are all responsible for our own actions and getting ourselves straightened out.

I have noticed a prevailing attitude in much of the recovery community that if you ever call out the evils of alcohol or the people who market it instead of blaming yourself people will immediately jump on your back and accuse you of trying to blame others. I read a fascinating historical work about societal attitudes towards alcohol in the US and apparently through the 1930's society blamed most of the problems caused by drinking on the demon alcohol. Men resisted giving women the vote in the US primarily because they feared they would make alcohol illegal, which is exactly what happened with prohibition. In the 1950's the liquor industry hired a very charismatic PR woman (whose name I forget) who was associated with AA to spread the message that anyone who had a drinking problem was different from normal people and the problem lay entirely with the alcoholic and not the product they were selling. The tactic was wildly successful and such belief is still the dominant attitude in the recovery community and society at large.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Speaking only for myself...

"Blame" and "accountability/responsibility" are not the same. One is constructive, and one is meant to keep me from recognizing what I am in control of.

If anyone can demonstrate empirically how alcohol compabies or a grocery store singles out an abuser of alcohol over any other potential patron, I'll gladly eat some crow. The issue of personal responsibility goes far beyond alcohol. The moment I blame is the moment I'm trying to disregard MY part in the issue. I'm not blaming anyone, myself included, by simply stating that the responsibility for choice and consequence remains with me.

"It's their fault I'm uncomfortable! They should change!" strikes me as the cry of victimization. "I'm uncomfortable! I need to figure out why and address it!" is an indicator of an empowered individual seeking to grow and adapt.

just out of curiosity...

What is constructive about hollering about vendors and advertisers?

I guess the crux of my issue here is that wasting mental and emotional energy on something that can't be changed won't likely help recovery. Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Fluffer, thanks for your post. It kind of reassured me a bit that I am not the only one who feels that manufacturers should have their limits when peddaling their wears.

But tbh Austin, you seem to want to turn this thread into an argument! And we are also going way off topic in terms of the OP original post (perhaps my fault). By the way I am not a "man" I am a mum with 3 young kids and my comments so far have applied as much to me as an alcoholic as they have been about objecting to manufacturers glamorizing all kinds of products to them at a Young age, lots of them innapropriate. And we don't have to waste "precious mental energy on the subject" as you say, we the public are not impotent .. there are many things we can do to bring change.

But I am not going to participate in this thread anymore because the tone of it is irritating me and so adding to my already high level of irritability!

On a good note despite my local supermarket waving bottles of wine and urging me to taste them all I am now back on day 6 and woke up this morning feeling fine as the song goes.

Have a good day everybody.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, thanks for the posts, I guess just being over a month sober I never realized how much advertising stimuli is out there, especially since ,there is money to be made:
For example:
(Oct 2015 )Budweiser, Miller beer owners craft a $106 billion merger deal this month is on the table, they will be pushing sales with additional advertising !

Cheers
Old 10-29-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nope, no desire for an argument. Not everyone that disagrees is being argumentative and contentious. I've just been where you are, and hate to see anyone continue in what appear to be the same thought errors that kept me unhealthy for so long. If expanding on my thougts and reasoning helps another, even if it upsets them, so much the better. Anyone is welcome to disregard any or all of my comments. That's something I have no control over, and I'm okay with that.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Fabat50 Congratulations on day six!

I don't know how many times I've tried to quit in the past or how many more times in the future , but I'm never going to quit trying until I Finally Quit!

Cheers
Old 10-29-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I don't watch tv. Period. I don't like it, never have.....when people bring up beer ads I have no idea what they are talking about.