Notices

Back on the wagon part ??

Old 10-26-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Back on the wagon part ??

I've been on these forums for 9 years, and I'm still coming back time and time again with a resolution to stay sober.

Earlier this year I finally went to an outpatient program and received some amazing support and insight that I believe has given me tools for future success in my recovery. I joined a local AA group and found a sponsor. Things were going very well for me, in terms of recovery.

But then my marriage collapsed. I know that the generic advice is to NOT make any life changes within the first year of recovery. But it was getting to a point where our household was an unhealthy one for our young son, and the situation had to get dealt with.

For years booze and drugs kept us afloat through our unhappy relationship. And now that we are both sober, we were finally ready to deal with the truth.

The only problem for me, was that it has temporarily derailed my recovery, and my sobriety was put on the back burner for bit. It wasn't my highest priority anymore. And lo and behold, I drank.

I'm on day 2 of sobriety, and I know now what I have to do. If I want my the best for my son, I need to make myself my first priority. By taking care of myself I will in turn be able to look after him in the best way possible. Everything else will fall into place as long as I stay with my program.

Thank you for taking time to read this.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I hear you. I had a similar experience where my marriage fell apart after getting sober. That was ten years ago. Don't wait as long as I did to get back on the wagon.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like you know what you need to do. I'm sorry about your marriage. Plow into your recovery. When I got sober I posted here a lot. It was an extra measure of accountability in addition to AA.

Be well.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 2
Old 10-27-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Midge. You will never regret raising your son in a healthy way. I am so aware of how finite the time I have left with my daughter is. I don't want to do to her what was done to me. In some ways, getting sober alone is easier than trying to do it in a dysfunctional relationship. You have only you (and your son) to be accountable for....and no one to enable or blame things on.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Thanks for the kinds words. Although it's been a rough year, I know that this is the best decision moving forward and I really feel that it's about time I learned to trust and be accountable to myself first.

Besides, now I'm almost 'forced' to make sobriety priority #1 again if I'm to make it through this process intact. I have the tools at my disposal, which is more than I had before. Now I just have to learn how to use them.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

MC,

Go for it.

Divorces are tough, but your son needs you.

You got this.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back, midgetcop, and congratulations on Day 2.

I am sorry to hear about the collapse of your marriage but am happy that you are making sobriety, yourself and your son your priorities.

We are here for you.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Redmayne

It's better...

It's better to be back on the wagon, than being dragged along behind it, well done!