Notices

Im New

Old 09-07-2004, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im New

Hi I am Sherri and I am new here. I know I got a problem with alcohol cause I drink alot and well I dont want to stop drinking completly so can anyone tell me how I can slow down just a little bit. I will be 21 in 4 months...and I want to be able to go to a bar. Thanx
Old 09-07-2004, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Strwbrry,

I think most of us here are trying to stop drinking and don't want to go to bars anymore. In fact, we've probably all tried to cut down countless times and failed.

You might look at Moderation Management, I think it's called.

Good luck.

Anna
Old 09-07-2004, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Strawberry,
Welcome to SoberRecovery. It would be better if you quit drinking altogether. You can order non-alcoholic beverages at a bar if you have to go. Research has it that more than a glass of wine a day is unhealthy. It sounds like you've been drinking for some time now and I think it's good that you're seeking information concerning alcohol. Like Anna said, most of us aren't looking to manage alcohol. We're hanging out together to get away from it. Let us know if we can help you get away from it too.
Sandy
Old 09-07-2004, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes I have been drinking and I finally got caught a month ago and spent a week in jail but I am not ready to slow down. I dont see it as a bad thing for me just that I drink alot cause I get depressed....
Old 09-07-2004, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Castaway

Honey,
Why are you so depressed at age 21? You have your whole life ahead of you.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Family and lonliness......
Old 09-07-2004, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Castaway

I understand. Let us help you. You'll never feel alone here.

You can private message me anytime you like. There are many wonderful people here...some young like you...that receive love and support.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

and how will I never feel alone again....
Old 09-07-2004, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, strawberry,
Using alcohol to cope with depression isn't very effective, since alcohol is a depressant. And when we get drunk and are then hung over, we feel very tired and sick, and our self-image isn't very good, which tends to make it harder to get out of depressed periods.

I'm going to assume that you aren't planning to quit drinking altogether; otherwise my suggestions would be a bit different. You might want to take a survey that was posted elsewhere on this forum to determine if you have a drinking problem. I don't have it handy, but Chy posted it recently. If it doesn't appear pretty soon, I'll look for where I saved it.

I'd suggest a couple of things:

Make sure you don't drink every day. When you get into a cycle of daily drinking, hangover, and then drinking again it is very, very hard to get out of. I think most of us here can attest to that!

Learn as much as you can about the effects of alcohol on your body and your brain. Then you will understand how much it takes to make you legally drunk, what's happening to your organs, etc. When you decide you want to drink less, or not at all, that information can help reinforce your decision. I can post some links with lots of info about alcohol and addiction.

Learn at least a little bit about all the different approaches to quitting drinking as well as the one mentioned before (Moderation Management) so that if you do decide you want to quit you'll know where to find information and support. Let me know if you want some internet links with info about the different groups.

Do you have a close friend who can help out? The fact is that each drink you consider after the first one is harder to refuse. Set some boundaries, know your limits, and work with a friend if necessary to keep to them. That is hard to do, but everything is easier with support. The key is to plan in advance--whether you're planning not to drink, or only to have one drink.

Work to separate your drinking from how you deal with your depression and from your attitude about having fun. If you always drink when you do certain things (like go to parties) you may begin to believe that you can't have fun or enjoy them without the alcohol. You'll notice posts on this forum from folks who are afraid of what life is going to be like without alcohol. Try to recognize when you're comfortable, happy, and enjoying yourself sober.

Consider getting counseling for your depression. Depression, anxiety, and stress are at the root of a lot of drinking behavior.

Let me know if you want any of those links, and thanks for posting!
Don S
Old 09-07-2004, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Castaway

You've already taken a huge step, Sherri, by reaching out. You can stay with us and read posts here...you can post on any of the threads here...you can tell us more about yourself. We do a lot of sharing here and noone makes judgments. You can be yourself here. You can come here 24 hours a day and someone will be along shortly. It's like having the extended family that you only dreamed of. I guess you can tell I've had family issues too. Don't give up Sherri. Try to work through the hard issues but without using alcohol. That's what we're all about.
Sandy

Sherri, Don's full of wonderful and practical ideas. He saved my butt more than once, that's the way it is on SoberRecovery.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well.....I was already told I have a addiction by some women who did a assessment on me. But I just am not ready to give it up.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Castaway

Okay, Sherri. It's a decision you have to make for yourself. We're open 24 hours. I'm glad I was able to connect with you. You sound like a bright young girl with a future. Feel free to post along and you can pm me anytime.
Sandy
Old 09-07-2004, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Sheri)))

Welcome to SR, I'm glad you've made a decision to cut down on your drinking. When I was your age I wasn't ready to give it up either. In retrospect, I wish I had. I would of saved myself alot of grief. With myself, there is no slowing down a little bit. It's all or nothing. Today I've made the decision to totally abstain. That is the only viable option for me. I've tried and tried to cut back, drink in moderation, but I'm not capable of managing that. Welcome again, I'm glad you took the time to share with us. Good luck and take care...

Talia
Old 09-07-2004, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strwbrryblnde
Well.....I was already told I have a addiction by some women who did a assessment on me. But I just am not ready to give it up.
Don't worry about the term 'addiction'. Just decide if you have a pattern of behavior that you want to change. You can choose to try and reduce your drinking, or you can choose (now or later) to quit entirely.

If there are aspects of your drinking that are having a negative effect on you, then it's worth changing the behavior. If you can identify times and places that you drink more, or situations where you drink too much, those would be the times, places, and situations to have strategies for.

What does your drinking do for you? In other words, what do you like about it? In the long run, finding other ways to get those benefits--whether you quit drinking or not--will make your life better.
Don S
Old 09-07-2004, 07:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi

Strwbrry- I have a great compassion for you. You must take some time and really think about yourself and your life. If you have already ended up in jail because of alcohol and still don't want to drink, you may have a problem with alcohol. This is very serious business, Strwbrry. I wish someone had warned me.
I started off just like you. Not drinking all the time, but just when I was depressed or anxious. Then, over the years, to dull the pain of any bad emotions that I was feeling. It was the only time I felt I could "not care about a thing." The problem is that I gradually progressed to drinking every evening. I then became addicted. I was in denial that I was addicted- for a long time. But after so many outrageous drunks, and not being able to quit on my own, I had to face the facts. I was no longer capable of planning an evening of drinking. I may have 2 or 3 drinks, but more than likely it was 6,7,8 or 9. I finally realized that I was an alcoholic when I went on the AA website and took a short test. It will tell you if you might be an alcoholic. But, ultimately, you have to find out yourself by hearing or reading the stories of other alcoholics and see if you can identify. I don't know if you have a true addiction, but please be very careful. Don't learn the hard way like I did. It is no fun being an alcoholic. Don't drink yourself into it like I did. PLEASE!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strwbrryblnde
yes I have been drinking and I finally got caught a month ago and spent a week in jail but I am not ready to slow down. I dont see it as a bad thing for me just that I drink alot cause I get depressed....
Hi Strwberryblnde,

I tried for many many years to slow down my drinking, it simply never worked for me and in fact, things just got worse.

Alcohol is a depressant. The more I drank, the more depressed I got. The more depressed I got, the more I drank. I learned that I had many many excuses for drinking, and only one valid reason. I am an alcoholic.

If you do not see it as a bad thing right now, then for you, its not. If you decide that you would like help, we will be here for ya.

Patsy