Notices

My third AA meeting

Old 10-25-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have never been to ACA nor CoDA.. I have been to a few Al-Anon (for dealing with people in our lives that are addicted to something).. I also grew up w a dad who drank daily.. It was not easy, but today I have a choice to allow that to affect me or not; and as far as his drinking today my sponsor says, "your business stops at the end of your nose", "be an example" "attraction not promotion" "keep ur visits sweet and short but don't say anything out of anger that u may later regret". Grateful to have a sponsor that tells me how it is.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The root of my problem is this ACA stuff.....when I go see my new therapist tomorrow......I will bring that up.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I understand it completely. My childhood was chaotic, rootless for years, lost my sister at age 4, grew up without a dad, etc. I developed emotional coping strategies and ways of thinking that no longer work as an adult.

ACA meetings might be ideal, but my therapist truly believes that the straight up AA stepwork will do the trick, even though the focus of responsibility is a little more on ourselves than on parents who made mistakes.

The result still involves changing our perceptions, letting go of control, being humble, accepting life as it really is, not distorted by our old thinking.. a lot of it also falls into the realm of mindfulness I think, which I work on a lot.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

ONe of my sponsors and his partner are doing a lot of work setting up ACA in their area. It's very interesting though not something I have ever felt a need for. One thing I am sure they mentioned is they prefer to have people in stable recovery for a few years before they start into ACA.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
ONe of my sponsors and his partner are doing a lot of work setting up ACA in their area. It's very interesting though not something I have ever felt a need for. One thing I am sure they mentioned is they prefer to have people in stable recovery for a few years before they start into ACA.
Oops, a bit of a typo there. It should have read one of my ex sponsees and his partner.

My sponsor turned me loose about 33 years ago and has since passed away. I have never needed a sponsor since, much less multiple sponsors as I implied. I find in AA there are always people around I can talk to if I feel the need, but mostly I just talk to the God of my understanding.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Gotta life thank you for the feedback.......I feel I don't have a few years to work on this problem. I feel it is the root of my self destruction patterns.......I've been self destructive for years. It can't go on. There is no one to talk to about this. Both my brothers are in denial....and they treat me like we were back in our childhood. They haven't changed because they either can't see a reason to or because they've lived in the same town all their lives.....I'm the one who moved away. They don't respect me and they act like I'm either stupid or unequal to them. None of that is right so I cut them off, no longer speaking to them. I can just imagine what they will say to each other after they hear about my recent DUI.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm the only one of us who has reached out for help......ever. They just think they are above me as they have been taught all through our childhoods. It's not true, as far as I'm concerned I've done more work and I've accomplished more than they ever thought I would. When I went to college they laughed and said I'd be there 1 semester........not true. I have 144 credits. When I got a job after college they laughed and said she'll be there until her first pay check. Then they started to change their tunes until I came back to town. Then they reverted to their old selves. When I got arrested for DUI......I never even thought to call them. I called my friends to pick me up.......because after all.......they don't even qualify as a friend let alone brothers. Do I sound bitter. I am.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This trauma that I have experienced runs deep. In the paper yesterday there was an article about a 10 year old boy who killed his grandmother who was about 90 by repeatedly punching her the throat.......I see things differently than most.....I question what she did to him to cause this, because when I was 13 I had been thinking for months how to kill my own grandmother who abused me from about age 4 through 15.......the only reason I didn't was because I didn't think I'd get a way w it and I didn't want to feel guilty for the rest of my life. I'm 52 years old and I still hate.....btw.....I did not go to her funeral when she died at age 80. My brothers had to repeatedly remind me to go visit her in the hospital. I went once, saw her.....and never went back even though she was there at least 3 weeks prior to her death. This runs very very deep and she is the only person in my entire life that I contemplated about killing. I can't help it.....it's how I felt and feel.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Debbie329 View Post
This trauma that I have experienced runs deep. In the paper yesterday there was an article about a 10 year old boy who killed his grandmother who was about 90 by repeatedly punching her the throat.......I see things differently than most.....I question what she did to him to cause this, because when I was 13 I had been thinking for months how to kill my own grandmother who abused me from about age 4 through 15.......the only reason I didn't was because I didn't think I'd get a way w it and I didn't want to feel guilty for the rest of my life. I'm 52 years old and I still hate.....btw.....I did not go to her funeral when she died at age 80. My brothers had to repeatedly remind me to go visit her in the hospital. I went once, saw her.....and never went back even though she was there at least 3 weeks prior to her death. This runs very very deep and she is the only person in my entire life that I contemplated about killing. I can't help it.....it's how I felt and feel.
Thank you for the honest share Deb.. I'm sorry to hear about all the chaos. If I were you I would just love your family from a distance.. Toxic relationships bring out the worst in us until we find tools in the programs of how to think perceive talk interact.. Just be close with your new family in the program bc they (as a group) are the ones that will teach you how to love yourself. You are beautiful strong enough and lovable. Just do the next right thing like you are in digging into recovery. There are endless possibilities if you allow them to land in front of you.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your family history Debbie, I can tell you've got a lot of pain inside. I feel that only in sobriety can we begin to sort out these things, find peace, and find ourselves. Just listening to you express your anger is a healthy start. You are facing your trauma with honesty and both eyes open. I wish you the best on this journey.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Gotta life thank you for the feedback.......I feel I don't have a few years to work on this problem. I feel it is the root of my self destruction patterns.......I've been self destructive for years. It can't go on. There is no one to talk to about this. Both my brothers are in denial....and they treat me like we were back in our childhood. They haven't changed because they either can't see a reason to or because they've lived in the same town all their lives.....I'm the one who moved away. They don't respect me and they act like I'm either stupid or unequal to them. None of that is right so I cut them off, no longer speaking to them. I can just imagine what they will say to each other after they hear about my recent DUI.
Hi Debbie,

I can only come at this from an AA point of view as I have no experience of ACA other than conversations with my sponsee and his partner.

The AA big book makes this statement;" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house."

Then it also says "But this does not mean that we disregard human health measures. God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons. Most of them give freely of themselves, that their fellows may enjoy sound minds and bodies. Try to remember that though God has wrought miracles among us, we should never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist. Their services are often indispensable in treating a newcomer and in following his case afterward."

What these two passages seem to be saying is you can recover from alcoholism regardless of anyone else, and once recovered you can make effective use of therapies for other issues.

My ACA friends tell me ACA is completely different to AA in its approach. Not all its members are alcoholics for instance, and for their program to be effective those that are alcoholic need to be well on the way to recovery. I could be wrong, but I think they said that ACA is not usually successful in solving the problems of an active or unrecovered alcoholic. It would be putting the cart before the horse so to speak.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post

My ACA friends tell me ACA is completely different to AA in its approach. Not all its members are alcoholics for instance, and for their program to be effective those that are alcoholic need to be well on the way to recovery. I could be wrong, but I think they said that ACA is not usually successful in solving the problems of an active or unrecovered alcoholic. It would be putting the cart before the horse so to speak.
That's my understanding of ACA as well. They recommend treatment for the addiction(s) first.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I had about two years of sobriety before I started working on my ACOA stuff. They do want you clean of all chemical dependencies. Even smoking. I still smoke and have found no hindrance in my recovery work because of it. But, everyone is different.

I needed to deal with the most recent wreckage in my life from drinking before I was able to look back and see how it all started and why I ended up an alcoholic. But, that is just me. We do have an adult children section here and you are always welcome to pop in and post. Remember also it isn't just alcoholism and addiction but all family dysfunction that is addressed in ACOA
Old 10-29-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy being me......I know Acoa meetings are about family dysfunction......that's why I want to go.....I appreciate your feedback....but I can't wait years to start this work.....it is central to my entire problem. If it disturbs me.....I'll back off. In the meantime I have a new therapist.....she said disabling due to my traumatic background is an option. I'm mulling that over. Tonight I'm going to my 4th aa meeting, it's a women's only meeting .....I'm walking there.....its at least 2 miles from my house....and here's where all my liking walking comes into play......the walk won't bother me. Tuesday I walked home from dropping off my rental and that was also about 2 miles. Took me 1:20 minutes.....didn't phase me and the next day I wasn't even sore. Maybe my higher power was preparing me for literally the long road before me. I'm on day 10... No drinking and no pot.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Lake walking
Old 10-29-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm also grateful that I can walk after my accident ......I'm lucky .......but my chest is still sore and it's been almost 2 weeks since the accident.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm also grateful that I can walk after my accident ......I'm lucky .......but my chest is still sore and it's been almost 2 weeks since the accident.
Are there alternative ways of getting back after the meeting if you're feeling tired after the walk there. I know you'll probably be fine and the walk will do you good, but best err on the side of caution if only to take a taxi phone number or details of bus services (and cash to pay for it) with you. Exercise after an accident can be a bit of a balancing act, and you don't want to do more harm than good while you're healing

By the way - sounds like you're doing great
Old 10-29-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Beccybean........during my share tonight I'm going ask if anyone can give me a ride home. I'm feeling much better.......i was also thinking about a cab home. Good idea. Debbie
Old 10-29-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Beccybean........during my share tonight I'm going ask if anyone can give me a ride home. I'm feeling much better.......i was also thinking about a cab home. Good idea. Debbie
I've got to know some lovely people really well when sharing rides home. (Stick with the women though)