Notices

Going back to school

Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going back to school

Probably not the forum to post this but I consider this like ...my home forum...because everyone here knows exactly what it felt like and understands

Anyhow, I'm in the process of re-enrolling in school because I just honestly can't deal with my career anymore. A bad incident with a prior employer and my current boss and all of her insanity (I ordered some Christmas gifts for my son and had them sent here on her suggestion, got back from lunch, package had arrived, had clearly been opened and resealed before being placed on my desk...I'm like...are you ------ kidding me...)

But I've been toying with the idea of quitting and only attending school...I've been crunching numbers all day and with the amount I receive in student loans I should be able to swing my current income with only a part time job...but I don't want to screw myself either if the stars don't align to my master plan...because plans never work as they are supposed to. Looks like all rainbows and sunshine at the moment but everything does in the beginning.

I'm more or less just musing...the career move is going to happen either way...just one way seems like less work and possibly catastrophic...and the other seems like more work and that can ultimately lead to failure.

As it stands I'm considering taking the first quarter online to get things in order and go from there...but not entirely convinced on what I need to do yet. I'm considering even the possibility of asking the owner to separate my position into two different positions so that I can work part time for half of my income...but that seems a little ridiculous lol
Old 10-23-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

but I don't want to screw myself either if the stars don't align to my master plan...because plans never work as they are supposed to. Looks like all rainbows and sunshine at the moment but everything does in the beginning.
took me forever to learn that!!! always looks fabulous on paper.

I have a simlier dillemma i think about going back to school myself but i'm like the loans? And i have a wife and 6 kids so umm how will i have time for them? then to get done and well what if the jobs are not there then i got the loans to pay and the income is not there to do so. I could tho keep my current job while i played that game. i'm just terrified to get saddled with more debt. some of the other things i could go to school for that interest me will pay me less then i make now or pay me about what i make now so how will i afford to pay back those loans?

Its a very tough call. if you can better yourself tho it can be really worth it. If i could find someone else to pick up the tab i'd consider going to med school lol. Like if someone said hey i'll foot all your bills even your education i'd consider going to medschool or something health related. But i'd get out and do like holistic medicine or something.

The kicker for me with education tho is always the student loans crunch the numbers think about the job possiblities whats the pay gonna be like how long will it take to pay off those loans etc.. they can be killer. I had some loans i paid on for 10 years life happened along the way in that time i shoulda paid those loans off! but i had defered them taken diff payment plans etc.. because life happened along the way. 10years later i owed basicly the same amount that i started out with!! I luckily had the money to pay it off in one clean swoop so i did so i could be free of that!

Educations great but the costs and the loans are really something to think long and hard about.

I have a friend went to med school on parents dime they paid EVERYTHING he iddnt have to work through school finsihed took over dads medical practice and is going well. I'm like man your so fortunate! many would be saddled with huge debts.

My brother has ions of education law school masters in taxaction law etc... got diagnozed with bipolar cant keep a job that will give him the income needed to tackle those debts now what? Life happens its scary!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go congrats
Old 10-23-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you hate your boss.......it's time for a new job...........maybe the new employer will pay for you to go back to school.....so part time.......that's a wet your feet idea.......me I became a consultant.......making even more money when I took the leap.......that worked for awhile......but ultimately I changed into an insurance broker......it has not gone all that smooth.....ie lying stealing partner.......still I'm happier with my new career. I don't miss the office one bit.....
Old 10-23-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can work out all the wrinkles Kallistia - best wishes

D
Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Z - that's awesome for your friend, but the grass is not always greener. He may be sitting in his office treating patients dreaming of digging up fossils in Australia

The income I'm not so much worried over, I should I suppose, but I'm not trying to get rich and money has never bought happiness. I consider money this thing that comes and goes, if I have enough to cover my bills and make sure my son is cared for then it's enough for me...I just want to spend my life doing something that brings me happiness and if a healthy income comes with it then it's a bonus.

My first degree and current career were done for money. My second was also done to chase that dollar bill and I don't even use it because I dislike it so much I don't even want to put the effort into the time it would take to be anywhere near successful. Both were obtained on the opinion of others that it was what I should do - because I would make so much money.

Life isn't long enough to listen to what others think I should be doing with mine or to be spent wasting away spending a huge chunk of my day doing something that makes me unhappy. Hell I'm in school now, second semester, for yet another thing I didn't particularly want to do...but it was chosen at the time because I was pretty financially crippled (pills and alcohol) and it would bring in theoretically a higher income at entry level ("in theory" is like an idea - what's on paper is never reality! Lol)

So ultimately my goal is to do something that actually brings me happiness. Income wise I'm living comfortably with enough to spare...but I'm not happy...and I haven't been happy with my field for quite a while now.

Nine hours a day are spent at work, another six spend asleep, then there's the time spend commuting, doing chores, errands, cooking and eating, bathing...all the time spent things that must be done. So what's left? Like two hours, maybe three, just to enjoy and do as one wishes? That's a lot of time spent doing things that are not enjoyable and not a lot doing what actually brings one joy. Well...if I can make eight of those something I truly love then it may not be as bleh...
Old 10-23-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Debbie329 View Post
If you hate your boss.......it's time for a new job...........maybe the new employer will pay for you to go back to school.....so part time.......that's a wet your feet idea.......me I became a consultant.......making even more money when I took the leap.......that worked for awhile......but ultimately I changed into an insurance broker......it has not gone all that smooth.....ie lying stealing partner.......still I'm happier with my new career. I don't miss the office one bit.....
Yes! I am over the office! Completely over the office and the idea of working in an office and the 8-5 cog in a wheel nonsense...
Old 10-24-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just go for it
Old 10-24-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

A farmer once told me the grass is greener on the other side because there is more $H1T over there lol.

a child a full time job and you take classes? GEEZE your head must spin. I thnk that would be to much for me. you make me look like i'm not busy at all lol. I work from home go running and garden and tend to my chores in my spare time? Course my job doesnt seem to require much of me its a love hate situation. when i have to do it i hate it I love the fact that it doesnt require much of me but I know my days could very well be numbered as a result and i'm sure my boss wouldnt like that i'm chasing after my kids while on the clock! But i'm also happy to chase after my kids too i'm sorta pulled in 2 directions.

People talk about how it must be great working from home lol walk in my shoes for a while lol.

But of course the idea of putting in a solid 8 somewhere or more and commuteing does not sound good to me at all. I'd never see my kids i'd be too tired to run i'd be worn out and miserable etc... thats no way to live either.

Its a tough call. I think less is more at times. I have friends who live in what many would consider poor homes etc... but they have ample time for there famly and to relax etc... I think they got something figured out. we cant all be millionares who work an hour a week or something lol. but sometimes there is a way to still enjoy our family still get time to relax and still do something for a living that we enjoy.

I'm trying to figure out the last part myself too the doing something fo ra living that I enjoy WITHOUT it interfereing with relaxation and family.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kallistia View Post
Life isn't long enough to listen to what others think I should be doing with mine or to be spent wasting away spending a huge chunk of my day doing something that makes me unhappy.

So ultimately my goal is to do something that actually brings me happiness.
+1

I agree, however, it can take a while to figure out how to make it work - to figure out how to support yourself by doing something you can stomach, or even find enjoyable. It can be frustrating, and demoralizing, en route to that goal.

I've been in a similar situation, considering graduate school vs self-employment vs employment, many times over. I've ruled out a few things, and have tried to keep an open mind and consider many options. It can be a really tough choice

My suggestion is to be careful about making any big life altering decisions until you've had about a year of sobriety, so that you are through the roughest parts of it. Just makes sense.

Be willing to sit through discomfort while you are arriving at your decision.

And never give up on doing something you want to do, good luck!
Old 10-24-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've often thought this is a key discussion missing in this forum. How to transition from the past to the future. The future is at least as important as reconciling the past, but a lot of people in this position were never really advised.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say it's a radical change - I'm just waiting on them to finish processing my application and get the last transcript from the current school so I can change majors.

Whether or not I actually quit my job and go to school full time is up in the air