Notices

Day 1

Old 09-07-2004, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hello everyone,

I have been on this board before, a long time ago. It helped me stay sober for 4 months, but then I lapsed for 5 months, telling myself that I could moderate my drinking - and I can't. So it's Day 1, again.

I know it's going to be tough, but I have to avoid alcohol. I have all the reasons in my head, I just need to use what will power I have.

Thanks for listening,

Quinn
Old 09-07-2004, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome back Quinn.
I tried to moderate a couple hundred times... Didn't work
Hey, glad you're here.
Looking forward to reading you again.

Dan
Old 09-07-2004, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hey Quinn,
Welcome back to SoberRecovery. We all know the power of moving toward the positive things in life. Glad you're making those changes starting again today. Hope we can be of help and support.
Sandy

Good Morning, Dan! Nice to see your bright shining face this a.m. Have a great day.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

optimistic

Thanks Dan and Sandy,

As the saying goes, I'm "cautiously optimistic" about my recovery.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hey Quinn,
Nothing wrong with being realistic. I feel the same way.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Quinn, Welcome back.

Something's different this time round. I can feel it. Shout it from the rooftops and remember everything that has gone before is gone.

Strength and wisdom to you Quinn.

Deg.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good work on your one day sober Quinn.

SR is a good place for online support and it will be good to hear from you over the next few days to hear how your recovery is going.Please share it with us ok?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome back Quinn, good luck on your progress. Hope we can help walk you through the tough days. Never give up.

Talia
Old 09-07-2004, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

so called Functional Alcoholic

I'd like to thank all of you for your support.

Until recently, I never really grasped the concept of a "functioning alcoholic". That term describes me, though, because although I don't have any DUI's, or family/work problems from alcohol (yet), but I still crave alcohol. Somewhere along the line, I foolishly associated drinking with stress relief. Or mabye just becoming really numb.

What really ticks me off, is that alcohol just increases the stress in my life, and yet I would turn to it. I am an otherwise rational person, I guess this is what they call cogitive dissonance. It's a tough bullet to chew, knowing that I'm different, and can't handle drinking while most others can. Now I've accepted the fact that I have a problem, a problem to be solved. I'm going to take it one day at a time.

Again, thanks for the support!
Old 09-07-2004, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quinn
I'd like to thank all of you for your support.

Until recently, I never really grasped the concept of a "functioning alcoholic".
The risky part of being a "functional alcoholic" is that such people are not troublesome to society. No one ever calls 911 on a "functional alcoholic." They can and do work hard, very hard. They live and die without ever having caused a problem for society. In their families and in their own lives, they are destructive in many ways - but if there is never a crime committed, no traffic violation, no domestic disturbance . . .

It's a nasty trap, IMO. At least alcoholics who are problematic are visible. Functional alcoholics are not.

Tracy
Old 09-07-2004, 07:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Quinn,

Reading your post reminds me that if I do go out, I'll be right back here in a matter of time, so why bother going out? Yes, it is difficult, but something we must do. I am six months sober and am still angry that I cannot drink normally. No one knows about my problem except my husband and the folks at the AA meetings. I am embarassed by it all, and I find it to be the most difficult thing to do- quit drinking that is. Just accept it and get busy dealing with it. That is what I have had to do. The alternative is like asking for self destruction and we know that in our hearts. We long to be able to control our drinking and be "normal", but it just is not going to happen. I find this website to be one of the most heloful avenues of my recovery. I look forward to talking to you here.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Quinn. The problem us functional alcoholics have is that the help is not thrown at us like someone who is obviously in trouble. Many of my friends just refused to believe I had a problem, I just looked too normal. I had a job and a house. That builds up our pride a lot. We think we have to maintain that false image. We need to look strong, even though we are broken inside. So its really dificult for us to ask for help. For me, I had to wait for a serious accident to happen as a result of my drinking. Only then was I hurting enough to lose the pride and admit I needed help.
Congrats on your first 24.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations Quinn!

Willpower never worked for me. I think we alkies have the strongest willpower on the face of the earth. If all it took was willpower alone, most of us wouldn't have needed help to not pick up that first drink.

Again, congrats on day one, and welcome back

Patsy
Old 11-03-2004, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i couldn't agree more Marty! keeping up the facade that i was a "good girl" just made me live more of a lie and get much, much, much worse. can't keep it up forever! i definitely figured out what a 'cry for help' was all about. you find yourself doing things that you wouldn't normally do just so that someone would take notice and intervene b/c you knew you weren't going to be able to take care of yourself. it sucks, but these things happen for a reason.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile Almost 2 months now

Sober for almost 2 months now, and feeling great!

I find that I've redirected my energy to working out at the gym and running a lot (six days a week!). I've also kind of changed my schedule, so I'm more of a morning person. I am much more productive, can think clearly, and feel great when I wake up in the morning. Plus, I have a 2-1/2 year old daugther, and I want to be a good role model for her.

Thanks for the support guys!

Quinn
Old 11-04-2004, 06:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

GOOD FOR YOU QUINN!
I'M GLAD YOUR STAYING SOBER.
OUR CHILDREN NEED US,GOOD ROLE MODEL'S IN THEIR LIVES.
ARE YOU GOING TO ANY A.A. MEETINGS?
I NEED THE HELP OF OTHERS TO STAY SOBER.
STAY STRONG QUINN..................ted
Old 11-04-2004, 07:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done Quinn, It's good to hear from you and that you're doing well.

It's uncanny how often working out regularly seems to coincide with a successful recovery.

Top stuff,

Deg.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done "The Mighty Quinn" (((Cat Stevens song)))

Sound slike you and I are working on the same timescale and same programme.

Two months sober, training again, playing rugby again and for once in my life, enjoying every single day.

Keep on keepin' on Quinn.

Rich