Notices

gratitude

Old 10-20-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Tooshabby--I can relate. People mystify me. I've never had strong boundaries, learned to navigate, and am still learning to navigate that environment very late.

Dee, Scott--I think I'm more charting the process where one goes from getting drunk in deep denial as a part of a social ritual, to being aware of it as a narcotic. I'm comparing alcohol to coke, so I don't think I'm philosophizing a way out of anything. There is something shaman-esc though about it, but in an ironic way. Like a long, extended pain ritual, civilized spiritual midgets trying to educate themselves. I guess in tribal societies they get it over with in a weekend. We are set adrift within cities of glass.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

PS, Dee, I think your patience, simplicity and wisdom are shamanic. So maybe you are a shaman.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee, Scott--I think I'm more charting the process where one goes from getting drunk in deep denial as a part of a social ritual, to being aware of it as a narcotic. I'm comparing alcohol to coke, so I don't think I'm philosophizing a way out of anything. There is something shaman-esc though about it, but in an ironic way. Like a long, extended pain ritual, civilized spiritual midgets trying to educate themselves. I guess in tribal societies they get it over with in a weekend. We are set adrift within cities of glass.
Surely you have more than enough journeying and enough raw data now tho?

And thanks for the kind words DD, but I think I'll pass on that Shaman mantle
Old 10-20-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Yes, I think so. Gratitude is a way of life. If you don't have that sense to begin with, it has to be beaten into you. I think these are the final weeks of my decade long attitude adjustment.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Nice, davai :-)
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Not just gratitude for family, friends, blah blah blah. But for the bad moments. Because those are the moments. Those are the moments when we can surpass ourselves.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Gratitude and acceptance are very similar. Gratitude is a thankful response to something. Acceptance is a layer deeper, just acceptance. It is easier for people to grasp gratitude because it is anchored more closely to individual things where acceptance is more of an abstraction. Therein lies the misunderstanding. Broke despairing people get pissed off when told to be grateful because the underlying spiritual technology has been obscured by greed, jeleously, object persuit. And so by not practicing gratitude they don't practice acceptance. And by not accepting they resist. And by resisting the universe continues to take from them until they hit bottom and have nothing left but to die or to practice gratitude.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

That's a great point, I think. I agree. There probably must be acceptance of present conditions in order to arrive at any sort of gratitude. Authentic gratitude, anyway.

Hope you stay sober today.

For me personally, drinking was my symptom of non acceptance of my present reality.