SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Worst nutrition (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/377335-worst-nutrition.html)

Holds1325 10-13-2015 08:19 AM

Worst nutrition

So I'm thinking about trying to eat more healthy. As an alcoholic I'm not quite sure what to do and how to go about this. But nonetheless I think I'm going to start adding in certain good foods and cutting out bad foods slowly. I think that will be the start of the plan. Too many people tell me go low carb, do paleo, cut out grains, just eat veggies etc. I think that's too much to handle at this point in time just going one way.

What was your worse meal while drinking? I used to have several, my daily intake after slamming down about 12 beers usually was akin to frying up a pound of hamburger and microwaving a bag of frozen potatoes or cooking up a pound of pasta with it. If that wasn't bad enough I'd easily consume a pizza or 2 (whole). It got to the point where I realized I was gaining waaaaay too much weight so I started not eating all day and just doing that every night.

I'm not surprised I have digestive system issues and I'm working on fixing them as much as I can. Still its difficult to handle healthy eating especially when I have such a weird appetite lately.

Kallistia 10-13-2015 09:20 AM

I ate a roast off the stove that had been sitting there over 24 hours.

And it was good. I have no regrets.

sleepie 10-13-2015 09:24 AM

Hi Holds :) I was just kind of bad with take out, fast food. I know u aren't seeking dietary advice but one thing I read is true, if you just eat something green in your day, you feel good. I just usually do chard or frozen spinach if I'm lazy, frozen veggies are the way to go.

biminiblue 10-13-2015 09:29 AM

I had to lose a bunch of weight when I had gotten too heavy back in 2007. I agree that small changes at first are the way to go - and adding good foods while limiting "treat" foods is a good start.

I started where I was, which was, "What was the last vegetable I ate that wasn't popcorn or French fries?" I joined a fitness website and learned about nutrition online and by research. I logged all my food so I had some idea about nutritional macros and micros.

One day at a time I made better choices most of the time. Progress not perfection. I also added gentle exercise.

Holds1325 10-13-2015 09:36 AM

Yes its a very good idea to start adding in veggies. And thats a good plan bimini about asking yourself whats the last veggie you ate?

The last veggie I ate that doesn't involve corn or potatoes, hmmm its a bad start so far because I can't remember! Well I ate a salsa with breakfast yesterday does that count?

Im kidding of course, I know that its best to start adding in things like broccoli or leafy greens. Problem is, I hate salad! I do eat it though, I usually eat it as quick as I can to get it over with. Also its hard not to smother it in some type of dressing.

Holds1325 10-13-2015 09:37 AM

Kallistia - a whole roast! nice! I had roast this past weekend and it was delicious mmmm. I reluctantly added broccoli to the mix so at least that was okay?

ScottFromWI 10-13-2015 09:41 AM

My worst meals were meals that I didn't eat, I just drank instead.

Regarding a healthy diet, I personally think a simple, balanced diet with as much fresh vegetables/fruits and lean meats as you can fit in is a good one. That is unless you have a specific dietary deficiency or condition that would require a special diet, but that would be something only a doctor could let you know.

I enjoy cooking and this time of the year is one of my favorites for making soups and stews in a crock pot - super easy and you can eat the leftovers for lunch for several days. It's easy to get lots of vegetables in stew or soups. Making a salad for a side dish is a good way to get some greens too.

Soberpotamus 10-13-2015 09:43 AM

Maybe try to find one or two vegetables you actually like, or at least, don't mind the taste of. And then focus on including those in with every dinner. I keep big bags of frozen broccoli around so that we always have at least one green veg at dinner. And frozen vegetables are nearly as nutritional as fresh. And you don't have to worry about them ruining in the fridge.

biminiblue 10-13-2015 09:46 AM

I can't believe I typed "good" foods. Argh. The fitness site police would pounce on that one. :willy - too late to edit.

What I meant was, "nutritionally dense foods." Whew. That was close.

I'm not a big salad fan, but I do like Caesar salads with chicken or shrimp, I add some avocado for fiber and the yum factor. I'm with Potamus, eat what you like, including some fresh fruit. Aim for 3-5 servings a day of fruit or vegetables.

Holds1325 10-13-2015 09:56 AM

Scott, crockpot meals sound awesome. I think I'm going to look up some recipes actually. Perhaps my wife can help me with this.

I am a terrible cook myself though, even when I was drinking and I would cook, I would think it was the greatest tasting dish ever! The next morning I'd walk into my kitchen and see my "leftovers" and think, ugh I can't believe I ate that and thought it was good!

I think the only salad I ever enjoyed was potato salad (lol). However, if its just a side and not the main dish, I think I can handle forcing down some vegetables and fruits here and there. My problem with buying things like this is that they're expensive this time of the year and they go bad quick.

biminiblue 10-13-2015 10:01 AM

Healthcare is expensive, too.

LOL, I am so indoctrinated to the fitness site. :lmao

I can't believe how much better I feel when I get the nutrients my body needs. How about spaghetti? There's a vegetable (tomato sauce.) I even add shredded carrots and zucchini to mine. It's a process though. I had to find ways I would eat the vegetables. Once I found out how much better my body works with a balance of nutrients, I was all in. I eat a fairly high fat diet, 45% Fat, 35% Carbs, 20% Protein - when I track food, that is. I pretty much do it by feel now, but I'm on year nine almost. It works for me to keep my weight down and to feel good.

Yankee73 10-13-2015 10:04 AM

Worst meal? I spent my money on booze & not food, so I would microwave slices of bread with shredded cheese on top. Alcoholic Pizza! That's all I had in the house. Blech!

I took a simple approach to healthy eating: no refined sugar, restaurants or processed food. It's a lot easier to do than researching trendy eating plans that have crazy rules and make you feel bad.

Holds1325 10-13-2015 10:21 AM

Yes cutting out restaurants and fast food is a good one. I recently cut out certain fast food restaurants with the goal of cutting out all. The problem is when you have lots of hungry kids in the car and you're out shopping for supplies, its easy to go, welp, let pull into this drive through here!

I like spaghetti, tomato sauce is good, it can cause my reflux to get upset at times. I think the other goal I have is to stop taking my stomach acid medication eventually. Having to take a pill everyday is annoying in itself. Its just one of the many changes that I have to go through since sobering up. Trying to make the changes positive though.

Soberpotamus 10-13-2015 10:24 AM

Worst meal ... hmm, blackout cooking was something I dabbled in (black humour, I know). The raw hamburger, raw egg, frozen veg casserole I threw together in the wee hours one morning ranks up there. :lmao Thankfully, I couldn't taste it, nor do I remember eating it.

ScottFromWI 10-13-2015 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Holds1325 (Post 5598263)
My problem with buying things like this is that they're expensive this time of the year and they go bad quick.

I'm not sure if you live in the US or not, but around here it's far cheaper to buy basic vegetables and meats and make your own meals than to buy prepared foods/meals. Take a crock pot of chicken soup for example...all you need is some inexpensive chicken ( thighs/leg quarters ) and onions, celery and carrots.

Root vegetables will store for a long time in the fridge, many can even be stored in a cool cellar.

Get a basic crockpot cookbook or just google some recipies. The other benefit is that you really don't do much "cooking". You just cut up the ingredients, put it in the pot and turn it on. Then 6-8 hours later you eat it!

Kallistia 10-13-2015 10:50 AM

Yes, avoid trendy diets.

Paleo? Someone please explain to me how the person that created the "Paleo" diet knew what our earliest ancestors were eating and therefore decided that would be the healthiest and most natural diet for humans to follow?

Low-carb? Yes, depriving the body of energy is a fantastic way to lose weight...and crash.

To find the best, balanced diet, google nutrition and food substitutes...avocado in place of mayo is fantsatic!

And I don't recall if it was a whole roast or not, it was leftovers...I remember being on the phone laying on the floor in my hallway outside my kitchen stuffing my face at 2 am mumbling through giant hunks of beef how good it was even though it had been on the stove over 24 hours to whomever had the misfortune of being on the other end of the line.

Kallistia 10-13-2015 10:54 AM

Also, pre-cook and freeze fresh veggies so you get the numminess all year round. Canning is also an option, I can foods every now and then...but that's an entirely different conversation.

Soberwolf 10-13-2015 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 5598243)
My worst meals were meals that I didn't eat, I just drank instead.

Regarding a healthy diet, I personally think a simple, balanced diet with as much fresh vegetables/fruits and lean meats as you can fit in is a good one. That is unless you have a specific dietary deficiency or condition that would require a special diet, but that would be something only a doctor could let you know.

I enjoy cooking and this time of the year is one of my favorites for making soups and stews in a crock pot - super easy and you can eat the leftovers for lunch for several days. It's easy to get lots of vegetables in stew or soups. Making a salad for a side dish is a good way to get some greens too.

This 5000%

Holds1325 10-13-2015 10:57 AM

So am I safe to assume you were inebriated while eating said roast? Thats funny though about laying on the ground eating it, must've been interesting!

I started looking into these trendy diets and one side was like, eat this way, and the other side no eat this way or this bad stuff will happen, or hey eat only this type food, but wait that type of food means ur deprived of this and that. I finally just stopped looking it up because I'm thinking, "I'm going to go crazy with all these one-sided arguments."

Holds1325 10-13-2015 11:01 AM

I live in the US scott, northeast! Veggies in my small town though are first off, tough to find, and secondly, it seems veggies aren't priority either so they sit there for a long time then go bad quick. I'm considering growing my own garden next year.

I watched that documentary on FOOD Inc. and I'm not sure about the validity of it because I don't take everything I watch at face value but there might me some valid points in it.

I have a relative that grows chickens himself and might possibly look into helping out in exchange for some healthy chicken. Also might look into getting some fresh beef from a local rancher who I know raises cattle responsibly. It is expensive though buying beef like that, but oh so tasty.

Wheres Z at, he must be loving this talk about meat???