Notices

How do I stop, I've tried but I can't

Old 10-16-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

SashaR you are awesome congrats on making the decision to stop lean on us whenever you need I look forward to your posts friend
Old 10-16-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sasha,
i was literally terrified of my first meeting (it was a secular, non-step peer support one, and i knew i didn't even need to introduce myself as "i'm an alcoholic".)
only someone else there for the very same reason as you would recognize you. you'd both be there for a very positive reason: because you see there is a problem and you're wanting to get support in turning that around.

shame...oh yes, i carried that with me always.
it was one of the first things to "get better", dropping away in increments the longer i stayed sober. even after just a week or two i noticed i looked people in the eyes more and smiled a bit more with my head up a bit higher.

stick with it, Sasha.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

hey Sasha. i'm a mum too. my daughter has seen me passed out cold when she arrived home from school. i too lost huge chunks of time - one day at work i had to leave for a hospital appointment. when i was done, for reasons i still cannot fathom i bought a half bottle of vodka and just went home. i woke up 3 hours later to many confused messages from my manager asking if i was coming back to work. i didn't have a clue what was going on so i just apologised and went in the next day claiming a migraine.

my daughter left my home aged 13 to live with her father as she couldn't cope any more. the job lasted about a month after that. i turned up drunk one morning, went to an important meeting and ended up yelling at a director. the next day saw me resign and be admitted to a psych ward for a month.

then my husband broke up with me - we had been together 10 years. i then had to move from my gorgeous home to a 1 bedroom apartment in a rough part of town.

and none of this - NONE of it stopped me drinking. i finally quit after a withdrawal that nearly killed me. at that point i wouldn't have cared if it did.

next week i will be 18 months sober, one day at a time. AA literally saved my life in the beginning - i made sobriety my priority and it has stuck. i don't take it for granted - i don't dare.

my daughter is sitting across the room from me. she's 15 now and stays with me every weekend. i'm in a relationship which isn't without its challenges (he has custody of his 15 year old son) and i am happy in my simple life.

i do have my problems - a laundry list including Borderline Personality Disorder and some physical problems mean i am unable to work. i don't get out much, due to anxiety. i am on a LOT of medication.

i wouldn't change it for the world. please, please get some help with this. don't be me. at the end, i was drinking mouthwash in the mornings just to get me straight enough to get to the store.

see your doctor. please be well.

Last edited by chickippo; 10-16-2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling :(
Old 10-18-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chickippo View Post
i do have my problems - a laundry list including Borderline Personality Disorder ... i don't get out much, due to anxiety. i am on a LOT of medication.
Me too.

Originally Posted by chickippo View Post
i wouldn't change it for the world.
Me neither.

Congratulations to everyone here who is trying to take control of their lives!!

Stick with it Sasha!