Notices

Sugar cravings?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar cravings?

They will not stop. I've never had a sweet tooth until I stopped drinking and now I eat sugary things like they started refining it yesterday. Do they go away?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

they will by about 6 months. You have cut out lots of kilojules/calories that demand replacing with the quickest,most easily accessable foodstuf.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me too, I never really had a sweet tooth, I think its the body trying to get the sugar its missing from alcohol
Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have to wean yourself off.. I ate everything at first, then dropped ice cream, then soda, then candy of all types. Working on cookies now, lol. Have also eliminated most refined carbs like white rice, bread, etc.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

In early sobriety if you suffer cravings for alcohol something sweet ie ice cream is good for that

Getting my appetite back was a good sign I was on the mend
Old 10-13-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Kallistia, this is a sore point for me as my craving for sweet goes hand-in-hand with my addiction to alcohol, in that they both provide comfort, and I bet they light up the same part of my brain. I rarely get alcohol cravings now, but I can make them go away with sweet food.

I do have spare calories because I'm not drinking, so my weight's the same but if I didn't have the craving for sugar I'd probably have lost weight. In your case if you didn't crave sugar before chances are you'll adjust in a few months.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try switching or weaning off to natural sugars instead of chemical ones. Bananas and pineapple have a lot of natural sugar. Fruit smoothies are satisfying. Eat brown breads instead of white. You'll feel a lot better and it helps with brain fog.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sugar cravings do seem to lessen, mine did eventually. Lots of ice-cream eaten in the first year, lol One thing you can do is to make sure you get enough protein at each meal, fats, and a complex carb ... and then follow that with a fruit of your choice.

But really, don't worry too much about eating cake, ice-cream, and junk at first. It is common for these cravings to kick in after you quit drinking alcohol.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
Try switching or weaning off to natural sugars instead of chemical ones. Bananas and pineapple have a lot of natural sugar. Fruit smoothies are satisfying. Eat brown breads instead of white. You'll feel a lot better and it helps with brain fog.
I do all of that already lol but thank you I'm this neurotic healthy eating person. Go figure that logic...eat fresh fruits and veggies and top with a generous portion of ethanol and call it day! I can't recall the last time I had white bread

I ate all of my son's cookies though.

...and pop tarts.

Good to hear that this too shall pass though, thanks guys
Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I honestly never really cared for sugar when I drank. The sugar cravings hit me hard but have subsided somewhat. They still come on though like last week out of nowhere I ate these mint chocolate morsels we have here in our office and I had 6 of them! Normally I'd eat MAYBE 1.

The cravings hit me maybe once a week now but are still there regardless.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's early sobriety cookies & pop tarts would have been right up my street it sounds your eating healthy anyway in my book your doing great I would happily have a pop tart as part of a balanced diet

Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad to hear I am not the only one. I too never ate sweets I craved more salty things . Now I cant get enough sugar. I am over 100 days and the cravings seemed to calm down after the first month or so but have come back strong. I am actually buying candy ? I have not eaten candy since I was a little kid!!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Candy..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.Always have a pocket full. I lost a lot of wieght while drinking this last round (almost 40 lbs) so a little wieght gain will make my Docs happy. I also eat cereal each night before bedtime (when I sleep). Better addicted to candy and sweets than alcohol. Just have to keep a close watch on your health..