Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I've realized I'm an Alcoholic. Not sure what to do next.

Notices

Old 10-09-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a 23 year-old college grad and I'm an alcoholic. I didn't get drunk even once until I was a few months before my 21st. My 21st was the 2nd time I drank. The following year I lost control. Fearing graduation, losing my support base, and tensions with my family I began to drink to excess. I blacked out multiple times, didn't understand where I lived, who my friends/ girlfriend was and couldn't walk on several occasions. My girlfriend left me. Thank God she did because it slapped some sense into me and I cut back and began to drink in moderation. We got back together and have been together (in total) for 3 years (in fact today is our anniversary). Now, eight months later, I feel myself slipping again, drinking too much. I've been out of a job for 2 weeks and I'm dealing with it by drinking. I deal with stress by drinking oftentimes. 5-9 beers is what I usually do, but I've been airing on the high end of that number recently. I don't know that I am absolutely an alcoholic right now, but I want to stop this escalation before that is absolute. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
You're wise to realize you may have a problem with alcohol. It took me many years to admit it.
I had to find other ways to deal with the ups and downs of life without drinking, but I drank alcoholically for twenty five years.
My personal, mental and emotional growth was stunted by alcohol. I had to learn how to be responsible and be an adult.

I wish I had the answer to your problems, but all I can suggest is to stop drinking now. As you've noted, you're drinking more than you used to.
Alcoholism is progressive. In the end I was drinking practically around the clock. It was a night mare.
By stopping now you'll never have to suffer the slings and arrows of the late stage alcoholic, and all the time in between.

You'll find lots of support here, so I hope you stick around.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One step for man, one step for mankind..or is it the other way around. lol.. your on the first step mate. I am 20 days sober after heavy drinking for years. Roll with me sober, together.

Dru -
Old 10-09-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're a wise young man to be thinking this way. Don't wait until you're nearly 50 and have enormous regrets to turn this around, like me. Quit while you are comparatively ahead. It sounds like drinking in moderation is not an option for you, like most of us. Drinking only makes things worse anyway, if it is stress relief you seek. Stick with SR for support :-)
Old 10-09-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been using alcohol for years to deal with stress as well but it doesn't help at all. You will be able to deal with stress much better with a clear mind, not a hungover. You're on the right track, at least it didn't take you 20 years like me to realise it. We're all here to help so stay around.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Michael19 :
You should see by now where alcohol is going to take you,
Alcoholism can be a life time of "more of the same old misery"
Or sobriety, with a full life of great opportunities,

Don't wait 30 years like myself to realize alcohol will keep you" down and out."

Cheers
Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael19 View Post
...I've been out of a job for 2 weeks and I'm dealing with it by drinking. I deal with stress by drinking oftentimes.
Just a thought, wouldn't looking for a job and taking care of yourself be the way to deal with being out of work? Alcohol creates stress, it might seem to reduce it temporarily because you're drunk and don't notice, but next morning it's back and worse. So we don't deal with anything by drinking, we postpone dealing with things while adding compound interest to the debt.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know it sounds like a crock to you right now, but abstaining is so much easier than moderating for most folks.

Who needs that never ending debate with the voice within, and the constant fear that this is going to be one of those bad nights.

And if your GF has already laid down the law once, she might not be so forgiving next time.

I have a friend that stopped drinking at your age and never looked back and never regretted it for one second. Many of us wish we could say the same.

Hang in there, we are rooting for you.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The answer is simple enough. Don't drink. But how an alcoholic can accomplish that is another matter altogether. Some manage it on their own, some with help such as AA, and some never manage it.

Like you, my problems came to a head when I was 22, which was when I joined AA and never drank again. I'm 58 now.

A couple of earlier posters suggested that you don't want to wait 30 years before you tackle this. In my experience, alcoholics of my type never get thirty years to sort it out. Thirty months would be more like it before we are pushing up daisies.

My doc gave me six months to live if I didn't stop. Of my treatment group of ten, all under thirty if I remember correctly, only three of us survived past 12 months post treatment. We all (3) went to AA and recovered, not one of us managed to moderate or drink socially.

If your really feel you may be alcoholic, my suggestion is you get busy on a solution today. You have less time than you think.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Michael
Old 10-09-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"You should see by now where alcohol is going to take you,
Michael...
"Alcoholism can be a life time of "more of the same old misery"
Or sobriety, with a full life of great opportunities"

You have a lot-to-lose/not-yet-lost. People at SR will support you in abstinence. Which, in my opinion, is the only way.

But your own decision is the only one the counts.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh...and not sure what to do next? Whatever it takes you to not pick up the next drink.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi.

As Mike stated the sooner you stop the better. Procrastination had me miserable for two + years and it’s hell having a head full of AA and a belly full of alcohol.

I could not stop until I got honest with myself about my drinking AND accept the fact I cannot drink in any sort of safety. Like it or not I needed to surrender to alcohol, powerful, baffling, cunning, insidious and very progressive. Too many have a sense that “I can do it my way.” NOT according to the numbers. Too many pass even with rehabs and different programs. I was lucky I chose AA and work the program a lot of years ago and it fit me like a glove along with millions others worldwide.

BE WELL
Old 10-10-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm one of those folks that "stopped in time". I did a lot of heavy drinking and alcohol was my way of dealing with life. Obliteration in the bottle. I only had one major blackout, where I lost 6 hours. I had no intention of getting wasted, but that's what happened...once I started drinking that night, I couldn't stop. I'd had an inkling I might be an alcoholic back when I was 20...that last night of drinking confirmed it.

For me, recovery has been through AA, the felllowship, a sponsor and the 12 steps. Today, I don't think about drinking and have no desire to drink...I have a set of tools for dealing with life on life's terms. I was 24 when I went to my first meeting, and 18 years later, haven't found it necessary to pick up since.

I'd highly recommend checking out a young person's meeting if there's one around you, where you'll more than likely find a bunch of people your age that are having an absolute blast living sober.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are wise to see the problem at such a young age. You have your whole life in front of you and you have the power to make it an amazing life. Alcohol robs to many of the amazing life they want. Don't pick up the first drink. You won't have to worry about the next. Google non drinkers. You will be surprised at how many great people never drink. Bring your own non alcohol drinks to outings and parties. You can even be the designated driver. Good luck, and I am so glad you have joined us. Welcome to SR.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the feedback. I went to a party last night and had half a beer and nothing else. I had a great time with my friends and really enjoyed not being hungover and feeling guilty today. So far, so good. Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Michael19 View Post
Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the feedback. I went to a party last night and had half a beer and nothing else. I had a great time with my friends and really enjoyed not being hungover and feeling guilty today. So far, so good. Thanks again!
That's certainly an improvement on blacking out, but is your goal sobriety or moderation? I believe you originally stated that your goal was complete sobriety.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael and welcome

Alcoholic or not you certainly have a lot of reasons to look at your alcohol consumption.

If you are an alcoholic I'm afraid you're not going to find it possible to always stick with 'half a beer'.

Many of us - good people strong and true - have tried, and failed, to keep alcohol in our lives and our drinking under control.

D
Old 10-13-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think that as long as I understand what my goals are I can handle drinking in moderation. However, I don't really see the point in drinking at all and I'm just beginning this process so I think the near future will dictate which is best for me. I lean towards cutting it out altogether. But I need to understand my brain and my mood and how those factor into my drinking.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Michael in your first sentence of this thread you say your alcoholic #1

Michael in your first sentence of your last post in this thread you say you can handle drinking in moderation #19

Michael don't let your AV mess you up anymore you can do this do you have a plan to stay sober or do you plan to continue drinking knowing your alcoholic

SR is here 24/7