Notices

Alcoholism and Anxiety

Old 10-08-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and Anxiety

So I have been thinking about my sobriety and my time as a drinker.

Some of you may know of me, but for those that don't I drank since about a month after I turned 21, its been 7 years now with about a half year break or so inbetween somewhere.

I was very young and still am young and am trying to grow up the best I can.

My topic is: Anxiety. To be honest, I never really knew about anxiety my entire life. I knew of specific anxiety like, public speaking, work, stressful situations like dealing with money and school. I never really dealt with general anxiety however, about my life, the future, the present, and all sorts of outside things that can cause it.

I am still working on ways to get rid of my unnecessary anxiety and am still searching for counseling options.

How did you come across your anxiety related to your alcoholism? I notice that some people fare better than others when it comes to quitting and there are those (like me) that have it stick around longer than usual.

My thoughts are, genetics? upbringing? some sort of chemical imbalance?

The way its been brought on to me possibly is just my thinking and possibly the fact that I still have a lot of growing up to do. It could be due to the way I was brought up or possibly some chemical serotonin imbalance that occurs with alcoholism. I've had the chemistry of the brain explained to me about a hundred times about the reason I'm anxious, yet I look at other alcoholics like, geez you drank more than me yet I get worried about the stupidest things on a constant basis and want to run into oblivion!

I guess I'm confused as to how some are more prone to anxiety and some aren't. I sure would like to be in the latter!

My thoughts for the day.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a pretty anxious person if I don't pay close attention to my thoughts, my nutrition, my sleep and exercise.

For my thoughts, I find a combination of mindfulness, meditation and prayer to be the most effective tools. When I have a huge issue looming I will also add in journaling about that specific issue for ten minutes a day. It's important to me to schedule my worrying, or I tend to "visit" it way too often. If I start dwelling on it during the day, I can say to myself, "Oops, save that for the journal session." Ten minutes is plenty of time to get it out on a daily basis. I find after a few minutes I start finding myself bored with the complaining and starting to find solutions.

Early sobriety is tough for the racing anxious thoughts. I called it spinny brain. It gets better. I highly recommend getting some outside exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. It saved me in the early days.

Have you read the awesome sticky post about Emotional Memory Management in the Anxiety forum here? Here's the link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...anagement.html
Old 10-08-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think near the end of my drinking a lot of my anxieties were self-motivated. I'd will myself into having a bad time/day to justify drinking.

I do know I suffered from a lot of body image issues as I was quite a plump young lad and was bullied occasionally about it. Some of those related insecurities sort of branched out and came with me into adulthood.

I figure a lot of the drinking I was doing was self-medicating for something. Not that I needed to get liquored up to function around others as most of the drinking I did was alone. I think at first, drinking helped me feel better about myself. I didn't hate myself as much for a little while. But like many others experience, as the years went on and the drinking increased things just got really dark, and really morbid.

I did see counselors about all of this, but it was never enough just talking about it. Eventually I realized I did need to try the help of medication and that has helped quite a bit. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and have been actively working on it and treating it with the help of medication, counseling, diet, exercise, and whatever else I can come up to not become complacent. I realize drinking will only nullify any real progress I'm making with my mental health.

Do I still feel anxiety? Maybe sometimes. But rather than letting anxiety cripple me I feel like I can acknowledge what the problem is, and work on solving whatever it is that's bothering me.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I suffer with anxiety the best thing I done was talk to my Dr in detail & talk about options I have started therapy just waiting on a new therapist as my last one left

I think having a good talk with your Dr will really help and there lots of tips for panic attacks pm if this sounds useful to you

Best wishes
Old 10-08-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think your approach of finding possible therapy and/or techniques to help with anxiety is the best place to focus your efforts.

Attempting to find out the "why some people are more prone" question doesn't do you a lot of good to be honest. It was the same with alcoholism for me...at first I kept wondering all the "why" questions: Why can't I drink one or two like other people? Why can't I be normal with my drinking frequency Why do I always drink more than I plan to? . Accepting my fate that I am an alcoholic was key - and I also had to accept that my anxiety is part of me for better or worse.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to quell anxiety but it just made the anxiety worse. I noticed it got a lot better after I got sober.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I am a pretty anxious person if I don't pay close attention to my thoughts, my nutrition, my sleep and exercise.

For my thoughts, I find a combination of mindfulness, meditation and prayer to be the most effective tools. When I have a huge issue looming I will also add in journaling about that specific issue for ten minutes a day. It's important to me to schedule my worrying, or I tend to "visit" it way too often. If I start dwelling on it during the day, I can say to myself, "Oops, save that for the journal session." Ten minutes is plenty of time to get it out on a daily basis. I find after a few minutes I start finding myself bored with the complaining and starting to find solutions.

Early sobriety is tough for the racing anxious thoughts. I called it spinny brain. It gets better. I highly recommend getting some outside exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. It saved me in the early days.

Have you read the awesome sticky post about Emotional Memory Management in the Anxiety forum here? Here's the link:
Yes! I need to start journaling again, its been like a month since I've done that, and also exercise, its so hard to find time, I'm either at work or doing something afterwards.

Also with all this health anxiety, I've been off and on at the drs office.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RaiseAnchor View Post

I did see counselors about all of this, but it was never enough just talking about it. Eventually I realized I did need to try the help of medication and that has helped quite a bit. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and have been actively working on it and treating it with the help of medication, counseling, diet, exercise, and whatever else I can come up to not become complacent. I realize drinking will only nullify any real progress I'm making with my mental health.

Do I still feel anxiety? Maybe sometimes. But rather than letting anxiety cripple me I feel like I can acknowledge what the problem is, and work on solving whatever it is that's bothering me.
I was diagnosed with major depression as well, and a high level of anxiety.

I keep getting pushed to go the meds route and they would probably help, at the same time I think I'm too stubborn to try them, and also a little anxious about whether they would work for me or not.

I have 2 prescriptions (celexa, welbutrin) and can decide whether I want to try one or the other if necessary.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am slowly beginning to realize that I was probably dealing with general anxiety for a long time now. I honestly never felt it at all when I drank, neither did I think I was drinking to get rid of it anyway.

I really just drank because it made my nights more fun and if I didn't I'd get bored, and boredom made me antsy. This anxiety is different from that, its like all of life is hitting me in the face at once and my mind just doesn't quite know how to deal with it yet.

This is why im dealing with depression/anxiety/hypochondria at the moment.

I remember Dee said that when he quit, he felt he deserved alot of the health issues that would come his way as the result of drinking, I know exactly how that feels.

I do realize that all this anxiety is part of life but its how we deal with it that makes the difference. The dealing with it part, is the one thats escaping me currently.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been sober for a little over two years and my anxiety did go down a lot, however I do believe it is part of my personality and something I will always have to contend with from time to time. At one point, I was in therapy and took Paxil for anxiety, but that was over 10 years ago. Recently, I went through a real bout of anxiety brought on by a sad, unexpected death of one of my son's friends and other bad news. I suffered from racing thoughts, depressive feelings, night terrors, etc. for about an entire week. Ironically, I started taking Zyrtec (OTC) for my allergies around that time because my allergies started bothering me again. I realized that the Zyrtec really helped with my anxiety. So, now I take Zyrtec every night before I go to bed and my allergies and my anxiety have gone way down!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Zyrtec for allergies, how odd lol. I'm not trying to criticize your methods but that is interesting!

I took zyrtec for seasonal allergies and then it stopped working, so now I have to take prescription allegra and get a shot otherwise that pollen really messes with my sinuses.

I'm curious as to why the zyrtec works for your anxiety though.

Losing someone is really horrible and I do realize that therapy will be beneficial for that. I'm just too scared of ADs at this point in time I guess. I keep them though as a last resort.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

wierd about the zyrtec i was desperate at times and would try benadryl thinking the drowsyness would calm me more often not it backfired and went the other way *sigh*

seems there is no majic bullet for anxiety. I think over time as we stay sober a shift starts to take place in our thinking and it helps in this area because some of the walls that are built up in our minds about this or that that cause anxiety tend to come down as we get healthier this makes hte anxiety less severe and less often. But the thing is I know i also have anxiety just for the sake of having anxiety?!? that particular case is perplexing to me. thats where exercise or zen music or stopping and collecting myself taking a few deep breaths etc.. can help. But i say "can" help. it does not always help but I got to at least try etc..

early on i drank a lot of herbal tea. I think the simple act of making the tea helped ya know getting the water ready waiting for it to boil waiting for the tea to steep the aroma sitting quietly with my cup of tea etc.. I thnk it was the process that helped calm me not the actual tea tho.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Did you suffer really bad anxiety during your drinking years or is it something that started after you quit drinking? For me I've attempted to stay sober at least a half dozen times since I was 14 and I'm 32 now. Every time I have quit drinking and doing drugs all of the scary feelings, that I used chemicals to suppress, came back to me with a vengeance especially anxiety! I have tried counseling and medication with some positive results but I have been told by several physicians that I dulled my feelings with drugs/alcohol and when I stop using all those feelings that I hid from will come back and that medication and counseling can help me cope with those feelings but ultimately I will have to face these feelings and get to the root of why I'm depressed or anxious so that I can develop coping skills to deal with feelings as they arise. Even though I suffer depression and anxiety now because i'm not drunk or high I also get moments of happiness and feelings of reassurance that I have never had no matter how high or drunk I was! Sometimes Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can help with anxiety and depression as well. I hope you overcome this hurdle and keep your head up!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I honestly did not take the Zyrtec for the anxiety, I just noticed that when I started taking the Zyrtec is when my anxiety went way down. I had really gotten myself into a frenzy with my doomsday, panic filled thoughts, enough that my sister admitted that she was worried about me. Since, I have taken the Zyrtec, I feel back to normal. I am not sure if this is coincidence, or the drowsiness or the placebo effect, but I do feel that it helped me recently. It may be worth a try. Of course, I am also a big proponent of meditation, yoga, exercise, healthy eating and sleep!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So it is not non-drowsy zyrtec? I have read some where that allergies can cause anxiety to get really bad as well.

The panic filled thoughts are very tough to deal with and I know that exercise and healthy eating can and do help. I just wish that with my addictive mind, that I can keep myself to something like that. My mind is fixated on a quick remedy, like alcohol.

I remember when I talked to a few counselors about doing outpatient detox, they told me that I can try anti-depressants but that I'd probably get addicted. I said well they are not addictive. They said, yeah we know, but alcoholics tend to use whatever tangible object they can find to ease their tension when it really takes alot more than that.

I got really confused by them when they said that but it does make sense somewhat. I guess if I took medication now it would be for some help and not really as a cure for my anxiety. Even now my doctors say that there isn't a pill in the world that can solve your thinking. I then thought (jokingly) how about a drink???
Old 10-08-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

yep not a pill in the world. honestly not even booze really. i mean can you drink a beer just one beer and have it solve the anxiety once and for all? NOPE gotta keep on drinking.

there is NO quick long term solution NONE NOTHING IS NONE! Counseling? oh yes it will help but it will take work and time. Staying sober oh yes it will help but it will take work and time. Self help books yep they will work but it takes work and time.

for me having done so many various things i've found its actually kind of confusing after a while to be honest. one can get lost in the world of possible solutions never really finding "THE SOLUTION" because there isnt just one solution.

I like the analogy of building a tool box full of various ways you can help yourslef. In it you can put diet exercise a cup of tea nice book hugging your child breathing calming music posting here talking it out screaming crying taking a hot shower etc.. whatever and keep these things readily available each time the anxiety comes.

For me i have to be ready to drop everything at a moments notice to tackle anxiety so that i can then move forward. Its just an ongoing process for me.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My experience is with anxiety as a result of alcoholism, not anxiety as a stand alone condition. Anxiety seems to be a part of early sobriety for most alcoholics.

I did find an quick and, so far, permanent solution. Like alcoholism, my anxiety was rooted in the mind.

When I got sober I had three major burdens to carry. The first was my screwed up personality. Years of drinking left me living on instinct, a very selfish way to live. I didn't know this at the time, but even though I was not drinking, my behaviour stayed the same. I made selfish decisions, didn't know how to be generous or loving and this put me in conflict with other people quite a lot. I had trouble relating and really stayed fearful of other people. Selfishness and happiness seem to be mutually exclusive.

Secondly, I had a head ful of memories of things I did that I was ashamed of, that I hoped would never see the light of day. I was really anxious that someone would find out what I was really like. Even in AA, I thought if they found out, they would kick me out. This stopped me from sleeping, so I worried about that too.

Then the third major load was anxiety about running into people from my past. People I hoped never to see again, people I owed money to, people I had hurt in some way, always anxious that I might have to duck down an alleyway to avoid someone.

Add these three up and you have major tension. Undealt with, they always lead me back to drinking.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post

I was diagnosed with major depression as well, and a high level of anxiety.

I keep getting pushed to go the meds route and they would probably help, at the same time I think I'm too stubborn to try them, and also a little anxious about whether they would work for me or not.

I have 2 prescriptions (celexa, welbutrin) and can decide whether I want to try one or the other if necessary.
I hear you, I resisted my diagnosis and meds , but was having trouble.staying sober even a week so gave them a go. Finally got over month sober, back at the start again but I do think the meds are helping . AV isnt a constant chatter.now. Dr. Says I should be able to drink a glass of something now and then with meds cuz I won't be self medicating anymore. I said no way, my.goal is abstinence, dont even put that as a goal in my head. Geez
Old 10-08-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sadie that is crazy your doctor said that! I'm glad you realize it's not to be trusted. Amazing how so many people, even highly educated ones, can be so naive about addictions.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had doctors like that Sadie - I got a new one

D