SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   5th sober night (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/377006-5th-sober-night.html)

zoso 10-08-2015 04:12 AM

5th sober night

I've been a heavy drinker for about 20 years (my excuse: depression & anxiety), almost always drinking at night only but I had weekends where I started drinking at 11 am. I used to have 2-3 sober nights a week but for the last year or two I've been drinking about 500-1000 ml of scotch every night. Tried to quit/slow down tens of times but I could only last a day or two. Every time I tried, on the 2nd/3rd day on my way home from work, I spend 10-20 minutes walking up and down the street where the bottle shops are, debating whether I should buy a new bottle, always ending up buying one. I go to a different shop every time so they can't tell how much I'm drinking but I think they knew, there're only 3 of them nearby so they all saw me every few days. Going home I would tell myself I wasn't going to drink much that night (only 3 glasses) and go to bed early, only to wake up the next day with 6-7 hours of sleep and a massive hangover and an almost empty bottle, repeat. I can't remember much from those nights, so the next day I go through my browser history, my phone messages, trying to figure out what I might've been up to. Last Sunday I thought I'd give it another try and I haven't had a drink since. This is the longest time I've been sober in about 8 years. Not sure why but I haven't really been tempted this time. I can only get 1-2 hours of sleep a night since sunday, really very tired but still feeling much better than the last 8 years despite the headache I get every night. Most of the pain I had on my chest, my stomach, my sides, my back have disappeared. I still have a little shake too but I'm sure these will go away if I can stick with it.

tldr; Been drinking for 20 years, last break 8 years ago, now sober for 5 days, feeling good :) Just wanted to share.

dru1085 10-08-2015 04:18 AM

Hey Zoso welcome.. I am 29 and I drank away a good 8- 10 years as well.. Just recently went sober and now on day 19. I am feeling hella better, sleeping well.. Pretty much went through what you did as well.. Keep it up mate Im right there with ya through the tempations and struggle.

**** aint easy.

Dru -

happybeingme 10-08-2015 04:19 AM

Well done! That is an awesome achievement. Be proud of yourself.

drivingrain 10-08-2015 04:20 AM

Same boat as me bud, your post is exactly what i was looking for, i wish you best of luck, your not alone and thank you for your honesty as it has helped me realise I aint the only one doing this stuff to myself. I wish you the best of luck. and thanks again

zoso 10-08-2015 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by dru1085 (Post 5590807)
Hey Zoso welcome.. I am 29 and I drank away a good 8- 10 years as well.. Just recently went sober and now on day 19. I am feeling hella better, sleeping well.. Pretty much went through what you did as well.. Keep it up mate Im right there with ya through the tempations and struggle.

**** aint easy.

Dru -

Thanks dru, good luck to you too mate. Been lurking here for a couple of days and saw couple of your posts and just let me know if you need any support.

zoso 10-08-2015 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by happybeingme (Post 5590808)
Well done! That is an awesome achievement. Be proud of yourself.

Thanks man, I think I am proud. I don't know that feeling too well but feeling good right now.

zoso 10-08-2015 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by drivingrain (Post 5590809)
Same boat as me bud, your post is exactly what i was looking for, i wish you best of luck, your not alone and thank you for your honesty as it has helped me realise I aint the only one doing this stuff to myself. I wish you the best of luck. and thanks again

How similar is your situation? We're not alone, I think we all have very similar lives/issues. Let me know if you need any support man. And thanks for replying as well, I was kinda scared I wouldn't get any replies :)

Fly N Buy 10-08-2015 05:13 AM

Glad you're here with us, welcome!

Breaking the cycle of insidious insanity is how we all started. 5 days is a good start - well done!

Keep posting, friend

bullmas 10-08-2015 05:34 AM

Great new start zoso!
It takes time for you body to reprogram its self from all that drinking , once begun, sleeplessness, headaches , anxious feeling, etc will occur, its just your system recalibrating and adjusting (healing) , a process sometimes painful, but the payoff is worth it!

Dee74 10-08-2015 05:34 AM

Welcome Zoso - I drank for 20 years too - change really is possible :)
Congratulations on your sober time :)

D

zoso 10-08-2015 05:48 AM

It's not any more painful than all those hangovers man :) 750 ml of scotch, 6 hours of sleep makes a pretty painful day at work.

ScottFromWI 10-08-2015 06:03 AM

Welcome zoso. I also drank for the better part of 2 decades and on a similar schedule to you - as soon as I left work every night and all day long on any day I wasn't working.

The insomnia stinks but it's temporary like many of the other immediate withdrawal symptoms. You'll be amazed at all the changes ( for the better ) once you start getting more time under your belt. Stick around here too...you'll find lots of support and tools to keep you sober long term.

zoso 10-08-2015 06:17 AM

Thanks a lot man. I've been lurking for a couple of days and decided to sign up today to share my 5 days. It's not something you can share with a lot of people you know. I guess it all depends but how long does the insomnia last?

zoso 10-08-2015 06:19 AM

Thanks man. Full time sober now or you still drink every now and then?

Soberwolf 10-08-2015 09:35 AM

Welcome Zoso congrats on day 5

SoberLeigh 10-08-2015 09:42 AM

Welcome to SR, zoso; glad you found us.

Great job on 5 sober days. Keep on.

Venecia 10-08-2015 10:12 AM

Welcome, Zoso, and congrats on choosing sobriety.

It's all within our reach. (And, yes, I think a lot of us did the ol' alternating stores routine. Sigh ... )

There are a lot of nice people here. Many of us have been sober a while now and stick around both to help others and reap the benefit of helping others. :) The insomnia gets better.

A Led Zeppelin fan, I take it?

escapist 10-08-2015 11:05 AM

I have been where you are. The memory of it is still fresh. The beginning of the end of being loaded every day. It is worth it. Stay on it . You won't be sorry .

Dropsie 10-08-2015 11:16 AM

Zoso,

Welcome -- 20 years is nothing, I hope for you you won't get to my 40ish!!

The good news is that after the first days I have never slept better in my life -- try a cup of Camomile tea before bed, and magnesium pills. Magic.

Hang in there.

Hopeful143 12-16-2015 03:40 PM

congratulations

Hi! Thank you for posting!