Notices

update:IMHomerSimpson

Old 09-06-2004, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update:IMHomerSimpson

Still living alcoholic-type lifestyle here.Its been ugly for the most part,except kids dont see it(thanx for that).Im beatin around the bush still,with the latest thinking I have ADD and that causes me to abuse alcohol(beer).Ive been trying to do EVERYTHING right,except for being sober.Had an other arguuement with wife last night,over my pets(chipmunks),we both forgot windows were open and I went out front to cool down and a neighbor was looking down at my house(he heard everything).Embarrased I am,again.Gonna find a way to break free from my addictions sooner than later.90% of the time Im a "real" person,its the 10% thats killing me softly.Hope evryone is loving sobriety here,cuz drinking has lost the fun for us.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Homer, maybe if you finally accept that you're an alcoholic 100% of the time, and stop trying, as you say, to find an excuse for it, you might just walk into a head space that will at last allow you to start recovering.
I am loving sobriety, with all the good times and the bad times. I just don't add to the bad times anymore by drinking. I love alcohol and drugs. But the fun of them left a long time ago. I hope you get to love sobriety too Homer.
It's a real cool thing to not embarass myself anymore.
I was thinking about you this morning, wondering how you were doing.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Homer,
Glad you posted. I think about you periodically and hope you're ok.
I'm also glad the kids don't see it.

The other day my son told me that he really admired the fact that I had quit drinking. That it made a huge difference for him when I had done that. We can say what we want to our kids, but we really have no credibility at all until we behave the way we expect them to.

I'm trying to think how ADD would cause someone to abuse alcohol. Perhaps it helps to quiet the overactive, distracted part of your brain, the part that has you mentally juggling all the things you need to do? If you're talking to an MD about ADD, there are medications that will help with that. But also, it's sometimes a matter of learning to deal with the mental demands we're placing on ourselves that stress us.

Sometimes successfully quitting drinking involves learning new life skills, and one of those skills is how to cope with stress. Your physician might be able to refer you to a counselor for just that issue.

Take care, and please keep in touch.
Don S
Old 09-07-2004, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((((((IMHomerSimpson )))))))))
My name is Bart and I am a Simpson too! :joke: I can really relate to comment about drinking having lost its fun. It became work for me and I lost the choice in drink........ Give me "choices" and I dabble a little in each of them .... Pretty dangerous when it includes the drink option for me.

Posted by Dan - Homer, maybe if you finally accept that you're an alcoholic 100% of the time, and stop trying, as you say, to find an excuse for it, you might just walk into a head space that will at last allow you to start recovering.
I pretty much agree with Dan on that point. My experience was that way anyhow.

After alcohol had kicked my fanny and I could nWhen I found a Sponsor in A.A. and started taking A.A.'s 12 Steps, even my manic-depression began to swing less wildly. My sponsor suggested that I walk through A.A.'s Steps and into it's Traditions as simply an alcoholic and get out of my terminal uniqueness. My way and many others I tried were not working so I gave it a try. I simply became an alcoholic and tried the solution he offered to walk me into. Prior to that I would identify myself as Brett, a manic-depressive/addict/alcoholic/norwegian/pyro...

I'm not sure about ADD or anything else other than what I have personally experienced, but think quite possibly a try at A.A. might be worth the attempt for you as it was with me. I am amazed already with the certain results, and I hope I'm not even close to halfway through with the life I have since been given.

((((((((IMHomerSimpson)))))))))

Three Legs
:tri