Notices

Alternatives to AA?

Old 09-07-2004, 07:30 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tracy
I don't think it's "a little sensitive" to "diagnose" another person's degree of alcoholism in AA. As near as I can remember - it's a big, bad NO NO.

I agree with you on the whole promotion thing. That tradition is about publicity (media). However, the Big Book is pretty clear about certain things. As I remember it (passages in the Big Book), when the request for alternatives was presented, AA members *should* have (according to their own Big Book) hushed up. What we saw instead was a criticism of other approaches. How was that OK, by AA standards (what was written and intended, not what is commonly practiced)?

Tracy

Actually Tracy Tradition Eleven is for personal anonymity, we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films. Which basicly means that we as individual AA members do not get up and give our last names or have our faces shown at the level of press, radio and films as AA members.

AA as a whole has commercials on television, and that doesn't break tradition eleven, because AA is grateful to newpapers, magazines, television, radio and any other media who have helped to get the message out that AA works.

But thank you for trying to give what you "think" the meaning of Tradition Eleven is, however its always best to understand all of AA Traditions and what they mean before posting, because its no exaggeration to say that half of A.A.'s membership back then has been led to us through channels like press, radio and films.

The Big Book says the best on page 164, A Vision For You.
"Our book is meant to be suggestive only. We realize
we know only a little. God will constantly disclose
more to you and to us. Ask Him in your morning meditation
what you can do each day for the man who is
still sick. The answers will come, if your own house is
in order. But obviously you cannot transmit something
you haven't got."

AA members should hush if asked about other alternatives? Thats a completely incorrect statement to say the least. The AA members that I know wish anyone well with any program that they choose to use. Thats in the Big Book also. I didn't see any criticism of any program here in this thread, except the program of AA. Take a look, it is simply not there that anyone criticised any alternative program here in this thread, not from AA members or any others.

There are no rules or shoulds in AA, or the Big Book. The Big Book is suggestive only.

Patsy
Old 09-07-2004, 08:21 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Don S
Just curious, Peter: why is there a separate Alcoholics Anonymous forum?
Don
The founders of this website had far more vision than I do and any attempts to explain why there is a separate Alcoholics Anonymous forum would be mere speculation.

However, imagine how sterile our sharing would be if someone comes in here asking for feedback on recovery issues and we were all prohibited from sharing our own experiences and our own choice of methods.

Imagine a new clause which requests that we make no further mention of AA or SMART or RR in our posts......oh and while you are at it make no mention of "Just quitting on your own" either because that too is a recovery method.

Of course the "pushing and pulling" over who's got the right key for the lock can be a bit tiring at times and it may even be unsettling to some newcomers but my experince in recovery has taught me that the ones who stay are the ones who really want recovery.Despite our diversity Jmhs still chose to stay and can even find some humor in the whole thing.

Alcoholics who have seen the dark side of addiction are not going to be easily put off by a little feather fluffing.

I can only say that which I have said a dozen times before.Feel free to share your ESH with us as long as you can do so without promoting, proselythizing,or criticizing.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patsyd1
snip

I didn't see any criticism of any program here in this thread, except the program of AA. Take a look, it is simply not there that anyone criticised any alternative program here in this thread, not from AA members or any others.

Patsy
You know what? You are right. I went back and reread 3Leg's post more carefully, and while one could interpret it as I did, it can also be read as others here did and as I now think he intended it. I was allowing my irritation about our previous thread to color my view of his reply to some degree. I apologize for that.

I've made a good online friend on this forum who goes to AA meetings, reads SMART materials, sees a counselor, and enjoys reading the vigorous discussions here. It all works towards her recovery.

There are some programs that seem mutually exclusive (RR and AA probably won't merge in anyone's recovery!), but most have commonalities. Lifestyle changes, tools for fighting urges, group support, and changing your beliefs about the role alcohol plays in your life are part of every recovery program I've read about.

Now I'll go back to swapping recipes.
Don S
Old 09-08-2004, 02:38 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Don, do you have any recipes with Chocolate? One of the things that sobriety hasn't helped me with is cooking. I still stink at cooking, so I'll take all the recipies you got Don.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Paused

I apologize for that.
Thank you, Don. I respect and appreciate you for that. Your a good man. Keep those recipes coming.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:16 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hello There,

If you would like to hear about another alternative addition treatment e-mail my husband. For 40yrs my husband drank. He has been sober for 1 1/2 yrs and the best thing that every happened to him. He has no more cravings and no meetings that he needs to go to. He is helping others to go to this treatment and enjoy life without booze.
I am telling you the honest truth if you are really looking for another alternative please e-mail my husband [email protected].

My husband tried AA and 30 days treatments it didn't help him. For one or two weeks. Then he would say to me lets try just having 6 bears, six always turned into 12 or 24. Trust me my husband nows how it feels and know he is living a life that he can enjoy and handle anything that comes his way.

Last year I had a family member that lived in my old house and made allot of damage to the place that we had. To be able to fix the damage we had to spend over
twenty thousand dollers and then had to sell the place. If this didn't make him pick up a drink. I new then it really did work.

We do understand where you are coming from. E-mail him and we would love to help.
Again please really think about it. If you had a chance to not have any cravings and no meetings, would you not want to try.

God Bless
Catfish's wife.
[email protected]
Old 09-11-2004, 07:34 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi, catfish's wife,
You seem to be going all over this forum, posting your recommendation of this private treatment program which somehow involves electrical stimulation, magnets, or some such hokum. A quick review of the web site indicates a cost of $1800 - $3500 or so for this. Do you plan to tell us more about it, or are you just a shill?
Don S
Old 09-11-2004, 07:40 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Dan

But can you spot me a few thousand Don?
All I have is that funny colored canadian currency after all.
I'm good fot it. I swear!
Old 08-08-2005, 02:18 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hey hey hey!

JHMS!! 6 months, great to look back!

Well done!
Cathy31
x
Old 08-08-2005, 02:48 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

there are as many alternatives as there are alcoholics. For it comes from the desire to change.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hello All,

My response probably won't be welcomed, but I'm going to respond anyway. I've been an alkie for the last 11 years. I had 3 years and 89 days of sobriety, and then I chose to drink again. Which started the downward spiral. AA is a great program, but it is geared toward men. It's a program that requires that you to look at all of the ugly dirty things you've done while you were drunk - it tells you that you need to get rid of the ego and strip yourself down to your basic form. I am a woman, I already feel so much guilt and anger about what I've done while drinking - I need to be lifted up. Not torn down. AA is a great program, but there are alternatives. I'm fighting for my life. My disease is trying to kill me. It will succeed if I don't start taking care of myself. So...my point is, if there are any women out there reading this that want to be sober, and feel that AA doesn't meet your needs, please check out this web site:
http://groups.msn.com/WomenforSobriety/general.msnw

Read that, and this sober recovery web site, and you'll gain the tools that you need to become sober.

Thanks for listening,
Stacie
Old 08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

What do you recommend for men?

Doorknob
Old 08-09-2005, 04:56 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Wow - how things have changed since I started this post last fall. AA has become a crticial part of my recovery. It may not be for everyone, but it works for me. Take what you can use and leave the rest....
JMHS
Old 08-09-2005, 05:04 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

This is what I think will help both men and women. It the 13 steps of Women for Sobriety (and they haven't given permission to me to repeat them, but I think they'll approve), but honestly, it is geared toward every person who wants to get sober. It's positive affirmation, and I think we ALL need that. Spend time every morning repeating these phrases, and you'll start to realize that you're worth more than you give yourself credit for:

1. I have a life-threatening problem that once had me.</DEF>
<DEF>I now take charge of my life. I accept the responsibility.</DEF>

<DEF>2. Negative thoughts destroy only myself.</DEF>

<DEF>My first conscious act must be to remove negativity from my life.</DEF>

<DEF>3. Happiness is a habit I will develop.</DEF>

<DEF>Happiness is created, not waited for.</DEF>

<DEF>4. Problems bother me only to the degree I permit them to.</DEF>

<DEF>I now better understand my problems and do not permit problems to overwhelm me.</DEF>

<DEF>5. I am what I think.</DEF>

<DEF>I am a capable, competent, caring, compassionate woman (or man).</DEF>

<DEF>6. Life can be ordinary or it can be great.</DEF>

<DEF>Greatness is mine by a conscious effort.</DEF>

<DEF>7. Love can change the course of my world.</DEF>

<DEF>Caring becomes all important.</DEF>

<DEF>8. The fundamental object of life is emotional and spiritual growth.</DEF>

<DEF>Daily I put my life into a proper order, knowing which are the priorities.</DEF>

<DEF>9. The past is gone forever.</DEF>

<DEF>No longer will I be victimized by the past, I am a new person.</DEF>

<DEF>10. All love given returns.</DEF>

<DEF>I will learn to know that others love me.</DEF>

<DEF>11. Enthusiasm is my daily exercise.</DEF>

<DEF>I treasure all moments of my new life.</DEF>

<DEF>12. I am a competent woman (or man) and have much to give life.</DEF>

<DEF>This is what I am and I shall know it always.</DEF>

<DEF>13. I am responsible for myself and for my actions.</DEF>

<DEF>I am in charge of my mind, my thoughts, and my life.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:13 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hi BlackC,

Do they have f2f meetings in Sactown? I'd love to hear more about what you did to get back on track.

Doorknob
Old 08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi Doorknob,

I just sent you a private message... :o)

Stacie (black C@)