Notices

Found out I am pregnant...

Old 09-30-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Found out I am pregnant...

So about a week ago, I found out I am pregnant. I have been on this website a few times trying to get sober to no avail. Finding out I was pregnant, it was a little easier and my boyfriend started a new job third shift, so there's also no trigger from him drinking around me... I am slightly worried because I was drinking heavily before I found out. I'm worried I may have already done something to cause harm to the baby. I have read a lot of things but it still isn't really easing my mind, as I was drinking nearly every night and sometimes all night long...

On an unrelated note, I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible that even though I am pregnant, if I will possibly lose a little bit of weight. I was drinking between 1500-2000 calories alone a night, give or take. I weigh around 160 right now, and am really hoping not to be over 200 lbs at the end of this pregnancy. I am really depressed about it and the way I look. I weighed 170 at the end of my last pregnancy. The cause of my weight gain was due to alcohol, I moved in with a friend in the beginning of 2014 and we drank A LOT for an entire year and I gained about 30 lbs from it. I guess my weight wasn't a good enough reason for me to want to quit drinking because when I drank, I didn't really care what I looked like. I've been sober since I found out and looking at myself in the mirror every day is pretty upsetting

Lol, my old picture sure isn't helping at all, I weighed like 130 in that pic.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Enembe, your questions are probably ones best directed to your care provider -- a physician or certified nurse midwife. Be honest with them about things and don't be afraid to ask for help so that you can have a healthy pregnancy. They can help you establish a regimen of appropriate nutrition as part of your overall prenatal care.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I made an appointment the day after I found out, but it's not until October 6th.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

enembe, as long as you're not drinking now, that's the important thing. Your doctor will give you information within a week, but staying sober during these early months is essential.

Seeing you have the motivation now, why not plan to stay sober after the baby is born? By 'plan' I mean discuss programs or therapy with your care providers so that you don't automatically start drinking again when things get a little stressful.

You have plenty of opportunity to replace the alcohol with fresh healthy food, and your weight will probably look after itself. Your care providers will keep an eye on it, but make sure you're honest about what you've been drinking.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Enenbe!

It's natural to worry about the drinking you did before you knew you were pregnant. I worried about my baby when I was pregnant too. Thankfully, she turned out very healthy. I did quit drinking the moment I realized I was pregnant though. I also tried to eat as healthy as I could. I think those two things made all the difference. My baby girl is now a tween and is as smart and healthy as can be.

I worried a lot during my pregnancy, and to be honest, it robbed me of the joy of pregnancy. If I only had it to do over again...I hope you don't let the worry take from you what is truly a special time in your life. Enjoy it, E!

Delfin
Old 10-01-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first pregnancy was unplanned when I was drinking a LOT. I found out at 6 weeks and stopped. Baby was fine. The alcohol doesn't reach them until the placenta is more developed. I am not giving medical advice just saying my experience and what I was advised. But sorry- I didn't lose any weight. I was overweight from booze too and hoped to lose some even though k was pregnant simply from cutting out the wine calories but nope. It all fell off with breastfeeding. Be vigilant. I didn't drink while pregnant at all but it didn't take long before I was overdoing it again.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi enembe - I echo what the advice of the previous posters. The important issue presently is to not drink. As Venecia said, a regimen of proper nutrition will go a long way in keeping at a healthy weight during your pregnancy. October 6 is only 5 days away.